Lost it

Started by Anonymous, December 22, 2006, 17:17

Anonymous

Wow, had my first heart stopping moment today. Took the car to work and when I was leaving I thought best hose of the dust. The first bend I came to caught me out big time and I span, the front ploughed breifly into a hedge and the back span around coming to a stop about 2" from a steel security gate.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   No damage except to my pride. I couldn't believe how big I lost it at such a slow speed but I guess the combination of wet tyres and really weird climatic conditions making the roads greasy made it too easy. I thought I had read enough on here to know better how wrong I was  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   Still no one hurt, no damage and big lesson learnt. Good job the missus wasn't with me as it's her car really  s:!: :!: s:!:

northernalex

glad you're ok mate!!   I lost my back end momenterilly (sp) the other weekend, it is a little scary and sometimes it just goes.. I've started pretending my granny is in the car.  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

firepower

glad you and the car are fine, its very easy to lose the back end of the  mk3  

" i know " similar experience although not yet done a 180 or 360 touch wood .

how many points would you award yourself for artistic impression   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Anonymous

Snow King on ice 8 points. Look on my face 10 (still embarassed 6hrs later)  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

were the tyre pressures OK. I also had a hairy moment the other day but found that my rears were quite a bit down. Seems more settled now.

BTW - Welcome to the 360 club, you are a true man now!  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

What tyres have you got?

Anonymous

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  dont be embarresed mate, i bet everyone on here has had some kind of moment in there spyder! i admit not as big as yours!   s:) :) s:)  

hopefully you can learn from this! but dont tell the missis or youll never drive it again   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

QuoteWhat tyres have you got?

BFGoodrich Profiler G which were on when I bought he at the start of the summer, gonna change to Toyo's when the time comes. Granny mode in the wet until then.

Chris_h

The roads around here are worse than the usual kind of wet. A horrid greasy grime that makes any enthusiastic driving impossible right now   s:( :( s:(  

It is good fun out of tight slow corners though   s:D :D s:D
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

alancdavis

Be careful   s:) :) s:)
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Graeme

Quote from: "simonp"Welcome to the 360 club, you are a true man now!  s8) 8) s8)

Can I be in the club? I did a 360 in my 998cc Mk1 Mini coming off a roundabout.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Not yet in the '2 though.
2001, Black, A/C, H/Top, Leather, no precats, and a club sticker![/color]
Why did they call it a "Midship Runabout"?!?! Surely "Mid-Engine Roadster" would have sounded better.

Anonymous

Just an update. I took the car out today but before I went I checked the tyre pressures with the new digital pressure gauge santa brought  s:D :D s:D  

OSF = 23psi
NSF = 23.5psi
OSR = 27.5psi
NSR = 28psi

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   I will be keeping a better eye on tyre pressures from  now on. Although I think neeed to control my size 12 on the throttle a bit more  s:!: :!: s:!:

celmacmat

Well it had to happen sometime...i nearly lost it this morning doing 15mph at a mini roundabout   s:? :? s:?  

Gased it to go over a mini roundabout, it was wet and a  bit greasy (i think) and i went side ways   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  nearly hit the highland in the middle

scared the hell out of me   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

rtbiscuit

are we all practicing for car icecapades
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

mrsmr2

About time an 03 model last it.  I was beginning to think all spins were down to the pre-03s.

I know 03s have spun and been written off but most posts recently about near misses, quick slides, etc seem to be the pre 03s.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

proeliator2001

I might be mis-interpreting here, but there seems to be a trend going on - pre facelift cars seem to spin out completely and post facelift often get gathered up before real problems happen.  Glad I've got an 04 is all I can say   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    Glad you were all alright too!!!!
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

enid_b

dont make me more paranoid than normal about losin the back end. my 51 has stuck so far... but the more i read the more i worry.
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

celmacmat

I think the fact that i was only doing 15mph has help me not to spin completely  s:? :? s:?  ...i manage to get it back

don't know what would have been the outcome if was doing more   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Celine

rtbiscuit

i have an 02, but the difference is, i have an FSB and a BP, and my hard top on as well.

i would think these make a big difference to how the car handles in the wet,

i must admit, my drtiving style has altered for the wet, but it hasn't slowed me down much.

but i have tended to be in a gear lower when pulling out of corners to stop me putting to much power down on the bends.

i think my key points are.

1. heavy rain, and motorways (or anywhere) don't push over 70mph. if it twitches your gone. under 70 your less likely (not guarenteed though)

2. don't power out of corners, only put power down once your hitting the straight.

i have more, but i don't want to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, so to speak.

Previous cars:

celmacmat

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"2. don't power out of corners, only put power down once your hitting the straight.
Agree...however sometime you get carried away   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Celine

rtbiscuit

i am as bad as the next person,

the temptation to get the rear end out is sometimes over powering

Previous cars:

kanujunkie

tell me about it, this set of tyres are going to last about 6000miles at this point  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

filcee

Quote from: "proeliator2001"I might be mis-interpreting here, but there seems to be a trend going on - pre facelift cars seem to spin out completely and post facelift often get gathered up before real problems happen.  Glad I've got an 04 is all I can say   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    Glad you were all alright too!!!!
Wheels sizes were changed - post-03 have 16" rears, which may mean there is a larger contact patch to overcome before spinning.  I *think*, but I'm not sure, that there were also some suspension and geometry changes to go with the facelift, and this continued each year until the '2 was killed off.  There's a thread on here somewhere with some pics of beefy anti-roll bars under an '04 ...
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

muffdan

geometry setup in the wet plays a big part. SP corrected the geometry on my car when I had the turbo fitted, and they said it was the worst they've ever seen. Matt actually used the word 'lethal'. My car feels fine in the wet now and I don't have to worry about it.

Anyone experiencing a twitchy car in the wet should get there geometry checked. I use to drive like a granny in the rain and put it down to my car being a 2000 model. I use to get the back out unintentionally all the time in the wet even when I was driving carefully, yet in the dry it was glued to the road.

Glad to hear you got away with your little scare.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"Wheels sizes were changed - post-03 have 16" rears, which may mean there is a larger contact patch to overcome before spinning.  I *think*, but I'm not sure, that there were also some suspension and geometry changes to go with the facelift, and this continued each year until the '2 was killed off.  There's a thread on here somewhere with some pics of beefy anti-roll bars under an '04 ...

Behold the truth!

Evolution of Mk3 MR2 year by year:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4807[/url]

Tags: