Hardtop fitting kit

Started by Anonymous, November 3, 2003, 07:08

Anonymous

I'm sure that a few weeks ago I saw a list of parts somewhere on this board, a "fitting kit", to enable a hardtop to be fitted. Can't find it now so maybe it was somewhere else, but can't think where I've been looking, it was while we were sourcing a car, got two now.
Anyone repeat this list of parts for me please?
(or show me the thread it's in?
Any info on fitting this kit also very welcome if there's anything difficult about it. There was some panel you could drill to save a £100, I'm up for that one. We might have a fitting kit for each car and buy one hardtop.
Oh, and we still actually want at least one hardtop as got two cars in the household, still looking.

Anonymous

I have a copy on my site:

m http://www.mr2-roadster.co.uk/files/hardtop.pdf m

Anonymous

Then read this thread  m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=6 ... sc&start=0 m  for which panels to cut and where you can get the parts cheaper

Anonymous

how much do Mr T charge for this ???

filcee

If I recall correctly, they are 2400, new, list price, and this includes the air con.

I think the air on its own is 900 - so that would make a new one fitted about 1500.

Wasn't there a rumour that you could only get them new with the car (factory fit) as opposed to dealer fit?  This seems a bit harsh to me, as I know the MX-5 tin top can be fitted by the dealers.  I wouldn't know any different as I the ordered hardtops with both of the '2s I've owned.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"so that would make a new one fitted about 1500.

oh we all could wish! I got a price from the dealer while i was looking at the fitting kit for mine... just the roof on its own is 2k + vat!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Wonder if that's because of the shipping charge?  After all the factory fit ones come delivered on the car (I guess).

filcee

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "filcee"so that would make a new one fitted about 1500.

oh we all could wish! I got a price from the dealer while i was looking at the fitting kit for mine... just the roof on its own is 2k + vat!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Glad I took the 'supplier's discount' then.
  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Comer

To retro fit a top the cheap way is the way I did it.  Buy the top from someone who unfortunately wrote off their car during the Summer when the top was in the garage.  

Then you get the roof for about £400-500 and then £200 for the rest of the parts from Mr T or Turbospares.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Slacey

Quote from: "Comer"To retro fit a top the cheap way is the way I did it.  Buy the top from someone who unfortunately wrote off their car during the Summer when the top was in the garage.  

Then you get the roof for about £400-500 and then £200 for the rest of the parts from Mr T or Turbospares.
Definately the best way, if a little unfortunate for the previous owner!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I got my H/T fixing kit from TurboSpares!

After ringing around several Mr T's... all of whom were unhelpful.  Toyota UK Customer Services even had the cheek to say that the parts don't exist at all!

Although TurboSpares took their time with the quotation, they were pretty prompt on delivery once the order was placed.

I throughly recommend them especially as they were much cheaper than Mr T's (yes... after kicking up a fuss, Mr T's finally quoted parts for me...)

So, cheap parts and a cheap hardtop that was new (off a mate who had his MR2 stolen)..  I'm a happy man!  s:D :D s:D

Tags: