TOP GEAR

Started by Anonymous, November 3, 2003, 13:33

Anonymous

Top Gear on Sunday 2nd featured a group test between the Porsche Boxster, BMW Z4 and the........... Honda S2000!!

They began by comparing the Boxster with the Z4, but when Jeremy appeared a the top of the cliff, I had a feeling in my bones he was going to say that the 'MR2' was better!! And why not??

OK performance wise, Mister 2 would have been bringing up the rear, but as an overall package, the 2 would have romped home!

Styling, Economy, Fun factor, Performance and value for money, saving yourself 10-15k, surely the MR2 would have won hands down!!

Gotta admit though, the Honda's the Honda's an impressive car.

Anonymous

you could say the same for the MX-5 then... or the MG.... i think it was about a class of car... big engines, big power, big wallets! I think the s2000 is a great looking (and performing) car, but boxter, like they said is just cos you can afford a 911   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  and i personally think the Z4 i well nice... but it is a BMW!

Anonymous

I think Kris is right... they were looking for similar classed cars.  What I found interesting is that the mid-engined car did better then the front engined.

Much as I agree with style,fun,price argument, I think a stock mr2 would stuggle against all three cars... there's just not enough grunt, and not every racetrack/road is pure corners.

Anonymous

i think that will be next car the honda as i have driven one and the rev's just keep on going and it's a spacier car than the 2.

But i may just turbo mine   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Yeah, but at the end of the day having a porka badge wouldn't be too bad eh!.  The S2000 "looks" in the same class as out class.  What I am trying to say is all the girls love a porka!

Peter Laborne

I did laugh when they said that the only reason people buy a Boxter is because they cannot afford a 911!!!!

Where's Mr Carter when we need to take the p**s???  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Its true though aint it!.  I would consider a boxster - but would obviosuly debadge it and tippex 911 on the back.

Anonymous

Didn't/don't like the Beemer cos of what it is (and I think it is PIG ugly!), the Porker, well, pretty much everyone has one and the Honda is a VERY nice car (the engine is SUPERB), but only the later version have the chassis sorted. The other ones were VERY twitchy (as my mate found out........).

That class of car? Tough one really. If IHAD to choose one, then the Honda it would be. But I would probably go for and Elise and save some cash!!!!

Slacey

S2000 for me, but it's a Japanese thing - all I want, at the moment.....

RX7 *drool*
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"RX7 *drool*

RX-8 for me!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Slacey

The RX-8 is seriously droolworthy, but it's very new and very expensive - a certain associate of ours can procure a mint, late RX7 for sensible money...
I'm seriously thinking of a purchase for next year...

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "Slacey"RX7 *drool*

RX-8 for me!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Good luck getting one, my friend has had her name down since the beginning of the year - and the release date keeps gettting further and futher away - although they finally release an advert so maybe they are out now?

She hasnt got it yet though, and I seriously doubt she knows how to fill it with oil (apparently needed after every 3rd petrol fill).

Anonymous

I was going to go down the mazda dealer and blag a test drive... i think they look the absolute nuts and are meant to go the same too!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Slacey

I'm going to blag a drive, too - as for the release date, not sure - but I did see a transporter full of them on the M1 on the way to the Jap Performance Show a few weeks ago.

Liz

When I get the '2 back I am going to go to the Mazda dealers for a nose, don't think that they will take me seriously in the Starlet!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Watched the programme with the gf and said I would chose a S2000 over the Boxster and Z4 and then hey presto up comes Clarkson with one!

Apparently there is to be an uplifted one for 2004 with a 2.2 engine. modified suspension and new gearbox which we aren't getting in the UK   s:x :x s:x

heathstimpson

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I was going to go down the mazda dealer and blag a test drive... i think they look the absolute nuts and are meant to go the same too!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
The dealer in Bedford already has some RX8's; I got an invite to a special launch last Saturday but couldn't make it. You had to book a time slot to look over it so they may be keeping them still under wraps.  I have my name down for a test drive though...  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lusaka"Watched the programme with the gf and said I would chose a S2000 over the Boxster and Z4 and then hey presto up comes Clarkson with one!

Apparently there is to be an uplifted one for 2004 with a 2.2 engine. modified suspension and new gearbox which we aren't getting in the UK   s:x :x s:x

I am lead to believe that the UK will NOT be getting the 2.2 modified version of the S2000...not good news!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"When I get the '2 back I am going to go to the Mazda dealers for a nose, don't think that they will take me seriously in the Starlet!!

LOL!  When will the 2 be ready again Liz?.  How is your leg now?.

On the subject of test drives has anyone blagged a go in the new TT yet?...was going to take one out and burn it in from the Chelmsford dealer as they give you an hour on your own.

Anonymous

driven the rx8 as a potential replacement for the wife's Celica.  Not impressed.  Not as tight as the Celica, doesn't look as good (too high and saloony), and couldn't get confortable.  Finally, power too much effort to be bothered to use.

BTW, I'm trying to find out if the 2.2 stook is going to europe, but so far, I believe that it's Japan and poss USA only.  I test drove the mk1 s2k and although I love the look, it was a terrible drive - skittish, and too much effort to get to the power (I have a 190 vvtli Celica and that is much easier to use the power on) - but apparently, the 2004 2.2 has all these issues cured: the dodgy handling and a torqier (lower) 8000rpm max engine.

Comer

I was tempted by the S2K and heard that it's handling was unpredictable when it was driven hard.  

I noticed Clarkson got it twitching a bit when he accelerated uphill out of a left hand bend.  Maybe the new version will be an improvement.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

mph

Best thing about the S2K is the engine by far.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"Best thing about the S2K is the engine by far.
maybe on the track, but it's just not that usable in normal road situations

Anonymous

My mate test drove one (it wasnt me or Kris), and he lost it coming off a roundabout and ended up pointing the wrong way with bashed up alloys and suspension.  Apparently he was not hammering it either!

Thought ours sounded bad!...na, shall stick to the idea of a 911 one day!

Hope4Sun

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"I did laugh when they said that the only reason people buy a Boxter is because they cannot afford a 911!!!!

Where's Mr Carter when we need to take the p**s???  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I'm still here mate  s:D :D s:D , i'd be hard pushed not to choose the 2, having driven the 2 and the Porker, had a good couple of days in a friends S2K ,was fun, but has its down sides (he use to have a 2 and agreed), also the Z4 not impressed, had a trip out in one a few weeks back the new 5 series launch party and don't rate it, horrid interior, cramped, and tiny rear view mirror.

The 2 for me was the best all rounder, on twisties only the Porker (and only a S) with Sports Suspension would be a problem, i hope the 2 gets a little boos in the BHP department though!!! Funny though the GTR seems to love twisties too   s8) 8) s8)  

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Tags: