Another Dead MR2 :(

Started by Anonymous, January 8, 2007, 23:41

Anonymous

Guys,

I'm sorry to say that I lost the back end of my car on Sunday night on the motorway.

The road was very flooded and I hit a puddle at about 65mph, the back end stepped out and when i tried to correct it the car started to fishtail making me hit the central reservation with the front, do a 180 spin and skelp the back off of the central reservation, then sending me spinning down a railway embankment.

Car is totalled, but im ok with the exception of mild whiplash and gutted-ness.

Needless to say the car in front of me at the time never stopped and neither did any other car that passed me afterwards, basically i could have been left for dead. By some coincidence an ambulance happend to pass a few minutes later, spotted me and reversed up the hard shoulder to make sure that I was ok. Thankfully they radio'd the police for me who waited with me till the recovery truck arrived.

A massive plug to RAC too who recovered my car free of charge.

Now just dreading the fact that im gonna have to lose my precious no claims bonus, i would have had 5 years in february  s:( :( s:(

Now if there are any vultures reading this, please post bits you might like to purchase on this post.

Cheers,

Richie.

Anonymous

sorry to hear that mate

it sounds like you escaped likely!!

hope its not put you off the 2

Anonymous

Cheers mate,

recovery, police and ambulance were very impressed with the way that the mr2's cabin stayed so secure despite the crash and the doors still open /close perfectly.

It looks like this 2 will be going to car heaven though and my days of 2 ownership are over:(

likely to be replaced by something practical and boring due to the insurance issue.

Its been good being in the club and I will certainly be sticking around for the banter, and maybe a few years down the line i'll consider purchasing another roadster once the insurance has settled down.

Richie   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

rtbiscuit

thats a big shame, really sorry to hear that.

glad to hear your fine though.  

tis the grim reaper season for MR2 deaths
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

thats a real shame mate

sad to hear that, hope you can hurry up and get that insurance down again

but yeah  hope you do stay around!!

kanujunkie

sorry to hear the bad news Richie, but with going down an embankment it could have been so much worse than a little bit of whiplash, imagine if a train had been on that line as well. Dont worry though mate, things have a way of picking up. All the best for the future
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

cheers guys,

If it hadn't been for that embankment i would have been on the train line as the line was otherwise level with the road. This picture quality isnt great (camera phone at night) but it gives an idea:

Stay safe folks, this happend to me on a straight road at 65mph and was unsavable once it went.

Graeme

That's bad new mate  s:( :( s:(  Sorry. Glad you're OK. I just hope this kind of thing doesn't happen to me. I'm also coming up to 5 years in about a month, and this being the first rear wheel drive winter for me, and two members cars already totaled.....

Anyway, as far as parts goes, I reckon someone will want the hardtop as long as the insurance company don't want it. (Might be worth taking it off before they get to look at it. They might not even notice that it ever had one   s:wink: :wink: s:wink: ) That could get you a few pounds on top of the money you get from them.

Graeme
2001, Black, A/C, H/Top, Leather, no precats, and a club sticker![/color]
Why did they call it a "Midship Runabout"?!?! Surely "Mid-Engine Roadster" would have sounded better.

Anonymous

cheers, like you say im hoping to sell off the hardtop separately and that should make up for my excess hopefully. I have 16" wheels all round and im going to have these inspected as they have new toyo proxes on them which have only covered 2500 miles so if these are still "True" then these may interest somebody?!?

I've not had much luck recently, my roof was damaged in the storms at hogmany and i had a pipe burst upstairs while i was away over christmas which wrecked my newly fitted kitchen.

On the brightside I'm going to the algarve again on wednesday!!

Anonymous

Sorry to see your car man! will your insurance go up that much without no claims????? i wouldnt of thought it would be that bad! but i really dont have a clue about how insurance works might be worth getting a new quote before you splash out on a bluebird!  also how much do you want for the magic tree??? is it fresh?

Anonymous

my 4 years no claims will go down to 2 but as well as that I will have to declare the claim whenever i try to get insurance in the future and thats what really gives the hit on my policy. As well as that, I had an accident 2 years ago which was somebody elses liability and therefore their insurance paid up yet i have to declare that too and my insurance increased because of that.

Now... im trying to make my replacement car seem a little less boring.. I've been offered a good deal on a Hyundai accent 1.3....

Pros: 5 seats, Boot, Cheap to Run & insure & tax & buy, can lug my bike around with it.

Cons: Its Crap.

Liz

Sorry to see your poor '2, has it been written off - mine had similar damage from a rear end shunt and it was ok?

However, one good thing - its a leading contender for dirtiest car title!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Glad to hear your ok,

The car doesnt look too bad, its considerably better off than mine was! The insurance might just repair it for you.

SimonC_Here

Sorry to hear about the crash. Standing water is terrible to hit at speed.

I'm not sure that they will right that off, I've seen worse repaired. (Mine for one)

[Vulture Mode On]
If they do, I might be interested in a pair of 16" wheels if they are salvigable although Scotland is possibly a little far away for me to travel!

On a smaller note, if the post CAT O2 sensor is OK I'll take that off you. It will save me lengthening the wire on the one I've got.
[Vulture Mode Off]

Simon

celmacmat

Sorry about the crash Richie...at least you are OK which is the main thing.

the Car is only metal after all   s:? :? s:?  

Hope you will find a suitable replacement, hopefully not too boring   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

noddynurdle

glad you're ok
it might go off it you touch it
2000 red/black second hand had 5500 on clock
now got 38000.
MODS after market valve caps, dynamatted focal 165a speakers, visor pluged, painted calipers and a set of Victor\'s bags.
oh and me nodding dog called spot.

Anonymous

Cheers all,

Im waiting on the insurance phoning me back so i can register the claim, but to be honest i'd rather the car was written off because:
1) I dont hvae confidence in a repaired car when its had that sort of damage,
2) It will be too expensive to insure come renewal time (Feb),
3) If i go to sell it people will know its been accident damaged and be reluctant to buy it.

If anybody is trying to PM me, I will be away until next Tuesday and so wont get your PM's till then, so i will respond then in order of PM received.

Thanks,

Richie.

Leeber

Condolences on the car mate, the main thing is that you're ok.
It's hard to tell from photos, but that looks repairable to me too. The rear wings are (unusually) just bolt-ons as far as I know so I guess it depends on how much damage has been done that you can't see.
Even so it's impressive how well the car stood up to the crash.

Hope the sun and sand is soothing your broken heart.

Lee
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

Chris

Quote from: "Richie"Stay safe folks, this happend to me on a straight road at 65mph and was unsavable once it went.

Scary stuff...  Glad you're ok though. Luckily I'm not gonna be doing much milage over the winter now, as I can get to my new assignment on the train! I've been worried about this sort of thing before, guess I was right to be!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Leeber"It's hard to tell from photos, but that looks repairable to me too. The rear wings are (unusually) just bolt-ons as far as I know so I guess it depends on how much damage has been done that you can't see.

its not, look at the wheel arches on one side compared to the other, i'll lay money on the chassis being twisted
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Chris

and that front wheel looks to be at at rather odd angle as well...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Wabbitkilla

Glad you're ok matey, considering your pictures early last year of sliding around in the snow, it's amazing what a bit of water can do - ask Ste!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

As for Ste, he will probably be interested in your headlights!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

loadswine

Glad you're okay Richie, that really is the most important thing.
You're poor old 2!  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
Hope you get it all sorted in the end mate.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

great pity m8, but your ok and thats all that counts. dont make any hasty decsions as your probably still hacked off at what happened. take your ime and review all your options, to few of us scots as it is!

spit

Gutted for you Richie. I know how much heart you've put into that car.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

But its good to know that once again the metally bits have protected the fleshy bits.

I woudn't dream of swooping on your headlights at such a grim time, but there's a potential buyer here if it helps  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Go well matey
Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: