quick help, exhaust.

Started by Anonymous, February 3, 2007, 10:02

Anonymous

short and sweet.
exhaust is in but it is touching the bottom of the stage 1 valance.
which is the best bracket/mounting point to try and adjust????
i am asuming the exhaust will melt the bottom of the bumper if touching???

markiii

which exhaust?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

doh
che's single. it fits perfect but is about 10mm to high and is just touching the bottom of the valance.

markiii

probably because it was never designed for a kitted roadster, sounds like it would clear without teh rear skirt.

you could cheat, if you can't adjust teh exhaust, thread a couple of cable ties around teh bumper bar and through the clips that hold teh nappy on and adjust the bumper lip up a little, worked for me
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

I assume the Che tip height is non adjustable then  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

markiii

from memory most exhaust aren't

H&S made theirs to be so, in order to have one product that could be used on standard or kitted roadsters

Anonymous

yep.non adjustable.got it to about 5mm now,so gonna bolt it all together and see how it goes.
it might pull it back when i put the cat back on.

kanujunkie

5mm and it will burn, trust me i found out the hard way  s:( :( s:(
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

do the nuts that the cat bolts to the back box come off(the ones with the springs on) or are they supposed to be welded to the section of the exhaust????

markiii

thye are supposed to be welded

Anonymous

right. they are missing off che's exhaust.
do you have to use other nuts to bolt it back together or does other aftermarket ones weld them on???

markiii

other aftermarkets ones I've seen weld them on

you could use other nuts though

the standard bolts have shoulders to stop them going in too far

Anonymous

cheers markii for all your help.
just waiting a reply from che as to whether they are supposed to be on there before i proceed.
your right about the lip on the existing ones so its just a case of buying 2 extra nuts.i assume locking nuts would be a good idea or would standard ones do???

markiii

locking nuts can't hurt, but with teh springs keeping them under tension I doubt they are going anywhere

Anonymous

cheers all done.  s:D :D s:D  
just got to solve the touching issue then off for a testdrive.

Anonymous

testdrive completed.
just  a few questions.
1)are u supposed to take off the old heatshields around the pipes on the stock exhaust and put them on the new one???
2)what is the normal bedding in period for sound, smell to go away.

Big thanks to markii for answering all my questions so quickly.

pics and hopefully a video will be posted tommorrow or monday once the smoking has stopped.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "jonboy"1)are u supposed to take off the old heatshields around the pipes on the stock exhaust and put them on the new one???

no, they're welded on the old exhaust anyway, although you can see band clamps as well, dont worry, the lack of heatshields doesn't affect anything

Quote from: "jonboy"2)what is the normal bedding in period for sound, smell to go away.

sound wont change much, but the smell can take a couple of hundred miles to dissapate
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

hang on stu, I though we were just talkign about teh backbox?

in which case if you ean the ally heatshields thatsit eitehr side to protect teh rear lights? then out them back

kanujunkie

Doh! your right, but hang on a mo, what heatshields on the backbox?, the black tool shelf one?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

hmm forgot about that one

right if we are talking about teh ones I mentioned earlier put them back.

if we are talking about teh tool shelf one stu mentioned (probably more likely now I think about it)

your ok to leave it off

Anonymous

its the 2 on the actual pipework itself.
1 on the bit that bolts to the cat and the other thats on the pipe leading to the tailpipe.

markiii

mine never had either

should be fine without

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"you could cheat, if you can't adjust the exhaust, thread a couple of cable ties around the bumper bar and through the clips that hold the nappy on and adjust the bumper lip up a little, worked for me

jonboy did you try what mark mentioned for the bumper, i would like to no because i might try it with mine to get that extra clearence needed?!

Anonymous

as a short term fix i used a metal space that clipped onto the underside of the bumper,which gives enough space for it not to touch. gonna try marks method today.

Anonymous

can you take some pictures of how you did it?

i would be very interested!

Tags: