3 Weeks Until Mobile Phone Legislation

Started by Anonymous, November 6, 2003, 08:44

Anonymous

Three Weeks Until Mobile Legislation Comes into Force!

40% of British drivers are still unaware that hand-held mobiles will be banned while driving.

http://www.abd.org.uk/pr/380.htm

This is for information only, in case none of you knew.  It will be illegal to even "hold" your mobile from the 1st December, so the headset is "NOT" enough.

It's in your interests to look at this if you do use your mobile whilst driving.  I think the best advise is "think" before you use it.

Slacey

Yep, I remembered - I bought a Bluetooth headset a month or so back in preperation for this, and found it very useful (not to mention a lot safer).
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I welcome it personally - too many times have i been cut up by people on their phones not looking what they are doing.   s:x :x s:x

Anonymous

It is a welcome I think.  I personally rarely use my phone whilst driving.  What could be that important?

Anonymous

Please bare in mind that this doesn't just apply to Phones.  It also includes PDAs used as SatNav devices.  Or just PDAs for that matter.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"Please bare in mind that this doesn't just apply to Phones.  It also includes PDAs used as SatNav devices.  Or just PDAs for that matter.

Oh well, Sean's not going to be a happy chappy then!   s:o :o s:o

Tem

You're slow  s;) ;) s;)

We got that law earlier this year...but it didn't really affect a thing. Everyone still keeps using mobiles, even ppl who very well know they shouldn't (I'm sure some don't even know). Cops don't care if you use a mobile, no one cares...over here that just turned out to be another stupid law that no one cares about...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "phil4"Please bare in mind that this doesn't just apply to Phones.  It also includes PDAs used as SatNav devices.  Or just PDAs for that matter.

That's a good point... as it's electrical and has buttons then it might have a dim view taken of it.

Anonymous

Tem, an education in the UK   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

A) £1000 fine (government can boost its bank account).

B) Points & Ban (government don't need to build new roads and spend money in A if everyone has been banned).

C) The UK police do not catch real criminals, they target motorists, and speed cameras can't catch them, so it gives plod something to do again.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"

That's a good point... as it's electrical and has buttons then it might have a dim view taken of it.

Ban my radio next then!

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"
Quote from: "phil4"

Ban my radio next then!

Almost certainly, followed by passengers, as they can be quite distracting too.

Anonymous

.............and a particular breed of passenger.....kids!  How distracting can they be in a car!

Not really a problem in the MR2 though.

Andrew

Slacey

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Oh well, Sean's not going to be a happy chappy then!   s:o :o s:o
It shouldn't be a problem, Kris - I set the destination while I'm parked up, then it runs itself until you get there - if I need to adjust it, I'll pull over as it's too fiddly on the move!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

What are are the M3 and 911 drivers going to pose with if someone bans their phones? Why are people who drive these cars always on the phone? I reckon they're at it.....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Oh well, Sean's not going to be a happy chappy then!   s:o :o s:o
It shouldn't be a problem, Kris - I set the destination while I'm parked up, then it runs itself until you get there - if I need to adjust it, I'll pull over as it's too fiddly on the move!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I've got a PDA based one, and that's view I'll be taking too as it happens.

Anonymous

So, is the hands-free VOX system on our PMR's not going to be any good then?  s:( :( s:(

Slacey

Quote from: "Roger H"So, is the hands-free VOX system on our PMR's not going to be any good then?  s:( :( s:(
Yes, providing you are not holding the unit while driving - if it is on the passenger seat, cup holder etc. it will be OK.

Anonymous

And provided you don't have to hold it at any point to operate it.  Which you don't

Tem

Quote from: "cstevens"Tem, an education in the UK   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

A) £1000 fine (government can boost its bank account).

B) Points & Ban (government don't need to build new roads and spend money in A if everyone has been banned).

C) The UK police do not catch real criminals, they target motorists, and speed cameras can't catch them, so it gives plod something to do again.

About same as here. We don't have points though, but 3 fines within a year equals ban...or 4 within 3 years (or one big one by itself).

Cops have a lust on motorists over here as well, but the general rule seems to be that only speeding is punishable. Nothing else really matters. You can run red lights, you can change clothes while driving, pretty much whatever. And you can get bigger punishment for doing 15mph above the limit (in the middle of the night on a straight freeway, being the only car in sight) than drunk driver killing someone...or outside traffic for example raping.

Besides, we already have a law than bans using anything, IF it affects your driving. There was no need to ban touching a mobile. Oh and if you just put the mobile somewhere, bolted on the dash or thrown on the floor, you can use a handheld luuri* with a wire to the mobile. Go figure.

Oh and this is legal too  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
 m http://personal.inet.fi/surf/ebtrox/bil ... dsfree.jpg m

Oh well, I never take calls while I'm driving anyway, so the law doesn't affect me a bit  s8) 8) s8)

*luuri...what's the english word for the thingy with speaker and mic that's connected to normal phones with a wire...and was kinda popular in cars in the 80's

Slacey

Quote from: "Tem"*luuri...what's the english word for the thingy with speaker and mic that's connected to normal phones with a wire...and was kinda popular in cars in the 80's
Handsfree kit? Or are you thinking of a CB?

Tem

Not a handsfree kit...though law thinks it's the same.

I'm talking about 70's and 80's when you didn't have mobiles, but one phone at home, which was plugged to wall inlet. The thing on wire where you spoke to (and heard the other guy from)...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Not a handsfree kit...though law thinks it's the same.

I'm talking about 70's and 80's when you didn't have mobiles, but one phone at home, which was plugged to wall inlet. The thing on wire where you spoke to (and heard the other guy from)...

reciever, hand set, david blaine, ding-a-ling?

Anonymous

I have a small Sagem (about the same size as the 8310 Nokia) mobile with a built-in speaker phone.

All I need is a compact phone holder..... any ideas where to get a stylish one to suit the MR2 dash ?

Puggman

Anonymous

Liz

So.....let me get this right, I can't even use the hands free kit with my mobile..I have a Nokia 8310 - with a earpiece and a mic which I attach to me and I use voice dialling which involves me having to touch the mic to activate it, will this be illegal as well!!?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tags: