3 Weeks Until Mobile Phone Legislation

Started by Anonymous, November 6, 2003, 08:44

Anonymous

yeah, if you have to touch the phone at any point, either to make or answer a call, then it won't be legal anymore.

SimonC_Here

Ah but what about if I don't touch the phone?
My bluetooth headset has an answer button on it.

Might have to look at turning on the voice command bit of my phone.
should be alright on the battery life if I plug it in all the time.

S

Anonymous

Not sure... probably be ok.   I think they're angling to only make it legal for those that are fully integrated with the car, ie. rich sods with big beemers who the government don't like to upset.

Liz

Oh well, my contract is up on my phone on the 14th of this month so I will buy something that I can use legally then!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Surely it wont matter for you Liz, you just give the coppers a special handshake and they let you off?!!?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

StephenBennett

Personally, I hope the police do take this law seriously. I was cycling home yesterday and was waiting at a roundabout. Some git, mobile in right hand clamped to left ear, tried changing gear with left hand on the roundabout. His steering centering kicked in and he headed straight for me. If he hadn't hit the bollard (allowing me to get out of the way) he'd have hit me.

s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

People can't even walk and call on a mobile let alone drive

Regards

Stephen

Anonymous

A girl crossed the road in front of my bus today, she had her mobile stuck to her head.

Maybe we should just ban them all full stop!

Anonymous

could do it like driving.... require lessons, a test, then get your mobile phone license.  Collect points and fines when you use it incorrectly etc. etc.

Tem

JMHO, but I don't think the real problems is holding the phone. I think it's the fact that you're talking and concentrating on it and not to the real world where you're moving...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Liz

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Surely it wont matter for you Liz, you just give the coppers a special handshake and they let you off?!!?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Ohhhhh, what are you saying!!  I wish, I kack myself everytime I see a police car in case it contains some jobsworth who I don't know who might knock me off for my illegal number plates!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

filcee

Quote from: "puggman"I have a small Sagem (about the same size as the 8310 Nokia) mobile with a built-in speaker phone.

All I need is a compact phone holder..... any ideas where to get a stylish one to suit the MR2 dash ?

Puggman

Errrrm .... I don't know whether I should admit to this but I bought one from the local Halfords.  There's a "Type S Touring" (that's what it says on the label) available in black plastic and silver metal.  Looks OK in my '03 model, but struggles a bit to hold my 6310i phone.  Attaches to the air vent too, which might be cheaper than trying to fix up glue mess or screw holes when you sell the car - I figure you could just change the air vent bit.  (but it would probably cost you 800 quid at Mr. T's prices   s:) :) s:)  )

Oh, yeah - and this is my first "mod"   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

filcee

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "Roger H"So, is the hands-free VOX system on our PMR's not going to be any good then?  s:( :( s:(
Yes, providing you are not holding the unit while driving - if it is on the passenger seat, cup holder etc. it will be OK.

I'm not sure if that's true or not.  

What I have heard, is that if there is an opportunity for you to hold a 'phone (or similar) in your hand, then that might well be deemed illegal.  So, I used to put my 'phone in the centre cup holder, and use a wire earpiece.  Apparently, this *could* be illegal  under the new legislation - it's a totally grey area.  What I have chosen to do is buy a clip on 'phone holder - elsewhere in this thread - thus having a proper clip so I don't need to hold the 'phone to work the buttons - and the 'phone held in my eyeline (roughly).  I've also splashed out on a Bluetooth earpiece so there's no wire across the car to get in the way of working the controls.  I *think* that this will be legal, but nobody really knows.  I guess I'll find out on or about Dec. 1st.

Of course, I could just switch the 'phone off in the car, but then I'll have voicemail to deal with on top of everything else!
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

I have a Nokia 6100 which also has the loud speaker option, again I guess as long as its "held" in the car (ie not in the cup holder where I also normally put it) then its legal.

Tags: