Auto Trader Ads

Started by Comer, November 7, 2003, 13:46

Comer

I've just been browsing Auto Trader to spot any nice '2s for sale around the country.  Some of the descriptions by dealers are quite amusing.  A lot of the obviously J Spec cars are not mentioned as Japanese Imports, there's one which talks of a rare factory fitted bodykit which I'm sure you can get from Mr T on a UK car!

One thing I noticed was a couple of cars available for under £10k, I guess the Nova boys will be trading up soon   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

markiii

time to switch on that moderated membership feature then  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"time to switch on that moderated membership feature then  :-) :-) :-)

Why bother - its too late.... Buster has already joined us!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

(no offence Buster mate, you know im joking!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

(only said im joking cos im going to need his help sometime with a stereo!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Anonymous

OW!  Thats going to smart!

Anonymous

oh dear,youve started something now.
anyway back on to the subject.
there was one on the forecourt where i brought mine from for £12.500 with a hard top and red leather interior.shame it was an smt though.

Anonymous

Hi Folks,
I am also looking out for an MR2. Apart from dodgy alloys is there anything else I should be looking out for? How can you tell its an import?
(from Japan or anywhere else) as opposed to a UK spec car
Stuart

markiii

European import

No differences except possible stereo/alarm/leather seats without the roadster embossing.

Jap

Square number plates, possible non UK extras, possible chrome wheels or steel, usually have a bodykit of some kind, possible sat nav. No 3rd 02 sensor )if you can tell without disamembling it  :-) :-) :-) )

Be aware that Jap import ecu's can't be read by standard UK diag tools, and they have no underseal.

General points, The V5 should reveal a Jap, might reveal a European but depends on exactly how it was imported/registered.

To all intents and purposes a European and UK will be the same, but if you buy from a dealer ask for ir writing as to whetehr it is an imprt of any kind, as you may suffer at trade/resale time. Generally UK dealers don't like taking imports in part ex, or a bit shitty with their offers.

Jap GT300 is your man for details on Jap Imports, and can probably source you a car as well.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I was really looking for a UK spec car and didn't want to get caught out  with a Jap one.
Is there any difference with the VIN numbers for Jap ones that maybe I could check on? While I think of it, where is the VIN number on the MR2, is it under the bonnet or engine compartment?
One final thing, my orginal spec was going to be aircon with leather seats. Do MR2 owners get much use out of aircon with a softop. I am not really bothered whether it has a hardtop or not.
Thanks for any info
Stuart

filcee

Quote from: "jonboy"shame it was an smt though.

Why?  I would never go back now I've had one (well, two).

It is the future ...
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"

It is the future ...

If Mr T goes the way that Audi have with their direct shift system thingy then i will be getting one too, but until its a smoother faster gear change I'll stick with a manual too!   s:D :D s:D

Slacey

Quote from: "Blackrat"Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I was really looking for a UK spec car and didn't want to get caught out  with a Jap one.
Is there any difference with the VIN numbers for Jap ones that maybe I could check on? While I think of it, where is the VIN number on the MR2, is it under the bonnet or engine compartment?
One final thing, my orginal spec was going to be aircon with leather seats. Do MR2 owners get much use out of aircon with a softop. I am not really bothered whether it has a hardtop or not.
Thanks for any info
Stuart
I don't believe there is any way of spotting one via the VIN, as they are all built in Japan and will have a sequenced number.
Obvious things to look for are a KPH speedo, and a radio that won't pick up half of our frequencies; some of the manuals / documentation might give it away due to the obvious language difference!
As for the Aircon, I use it all the while, more so in winter(!) as it is a god send for demisting in cold and wet weather. Good for my asthma, too!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

Sorry, just thought of something - if you ask the seller, whether they be trade or private if it is a non-UK sourced car and they say "no", if you find out after that it is, you have a legal case against the seller. Try to get any claims to it's origin in writing.
Also, take down the VIN and ask a Toyota dealer to look it up - they will be able to tell you if it was a UK car or not, too.

markiii

All good points from Sean ref the VIn.

I'd agree with the aircon, get it, it can be quite warm in the summer even with the roof down when stuck in traffic. And for defrosting it's also very useful.

SteveJ

It is the future ...

I'll be on my third in 3 years fairly soon..... fingers crossed - as long as Mr T doesn't bend this one!!!!

Anonymous

It'll also have the wipers and the indicator stalks the wrong way round if it's Jap.

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "markiii"time to switch on that moderated membership feature then  :-) :-) :-)

Why bother - its too late.... Buster has already joined us!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

(no offence Buster mate, you know im joking!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

(only said im joking cos im going to need his help sometime with a stereo!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

I was a feista man witha  1.3 with of course 4 exhausts 3.5" tips each LOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I will try and dig some pics out   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

filcee

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"

It is the future ...

If Mr T goes the way that Audi have with their direct shift system thingy then i will be getting one too, but until its a smoother faster gear change I'll stick with a manual too!   s:D :D s:D

A bad workman always blames his tools  s:-P :-P s:-P

Seriously,  I'm convinced that mine shifts quicker than I can, I've driven Mrs. Filcee's motor for the last few days, so I've had the chance to make a direct comparison.  You can confuse the SMT - if you let the revs drop too far, it won't blip the throttle on a downshift and seems to spend an age moving between gears.  If I keep my concentration, and do a proper job, it's no problem at all.  I suppose practice makes perfect.

I won't be getting an Audi BTW.  I know lots of people who haven't been happy with their Audis, there are too many TT's about anyway, and why pay Audfi prices when you can pay Seat prices (especially for servicing)?
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Comer

Latest Autotrader Ad (4th one down), probably the cheapest Mk 3 in the UK!!!  

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_search.asp?nU=0&make=TOYOTA&model=MR2&min_pr=6000&max_pr=7000&postcode=EN1%201HF&miles=40&max_records=50&modelexact=1

I'd be a bit worried about the"was damaged been repaired" part of the ad.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Michael

Slacey

I'm not sure if you are bothered or not Michael, but that Auto Trader page shows your full postcode   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

You do have to wonder how good the repairs were when they knock 4 grand off the price.

Comer

Quote from: "Slacey"I'm not sure if you are bothered or not Michael, but that Auto Trader page shows your full postcode   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Thanks Sean   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I've now edited it to a main road postcode in Enfield instead and I think the link still works
Michael

Tags: