Fitting an Amp in the rear storage bin!

Started by Anonymous, June 8, 2003, 19:00

Anonymous

Firstly as we all know about the size of the bins in the back are very small so first thing is to buy a small enogth amp to fit in the bins with little modifcation to them. I have used Gensis Profiles and some small alpine's and they seem to fit fine.

What you will need:
12mm MDF board
4 Awg Power cable
Gold plated + power terminal
In line fuse (water prof)
Distrobution block (fused)
8 Awg power cable
RCA's 3 meter lengths * 2 sets
Crimpers and ring connectors
Soldering iron
Silicon sealent
a hand full of screws
a coat hanger and WD40
and half a brain !  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

First is to run the power cable from the battery to the passenger side of the rear bins. This is dont by using a gromet which is already there. you can find the gromet by removing the trim on the passenger side bins (at the rear right hand side simply unclips) As shown in the picture:

You then need to get a coat wire and tape the end of the power cable to the end of the coat hanger (take off burrs to advoid rips in the gromet)  then spray some WD40 on the end and push the power cable through the top of the gromet like shown above. Push it as far as it will go and it should pop out like so in the engine bay look down behind the battery and you should see this:

Then cut of the end of the power cable and pull the coat hanger back throught (without moving the cable) then pull a sufficient amount of power cable throught to get to the battery and look neat!

Next is to put the inline fuse holder, I found the best place to put this is on the thread of the battery case as it looks good and is away from the engine's main heat! Simply strip back the wire and tighten up the nuts on th fuse holder *BUT DONT PUT THE FUSE IN* then cut a small peice of wire to connect to the other side and conect this to the gold + power terminal which bolts on to the old terminal (This is for looks mainly tho   s8) 8) s8)  ). Then screw up the fuse holder so no moisture can get in. Heres how it should look:

Next is to then make the amp safe in the back - make a mouning plate out of MDF and make sure the amp does not move, I have changed my install from the writting of this report but you can make a box shape out of MDF and then fit the amp to the inside of the box then flip it upside down and place in the void of the passenger side bin. Then you can screw the Distribution block onto  the MDF like so:

Then wire up a small piece of 4 Awg power cable to feed the amp and then there's a spare +ve in the back in case you deside to add anything else. DO NOT INSERT THE FUSES

Next is to wire up the amp you can take the -ve from the seat belt fixing behing the trim on the passengers side and run some 4 Awg to the amp. Use a space or ring terminal for this conection. Next is to put ring conectors on the power cable +ve from the distroubtiuon block and -ve from the seat belt and some normal muiltcore wire as well but leave it on the roll. Next is to screw these on the amp. next from the speakers you should extend the cable going from the headunit and feed it under the carpet and to the bin, and then ring connector them up and screw them into position like shown:

Then you run RCA's down the passenger side of the scuff plate, I ran 4 sets but you can run as many as you like depending on how many channels you have - I have 2 rear and back and a sub out + some for screen use   s8) 8) s8)  . once these are ran they can be connected as shown, Oh and run the multi core down there as well this is the remote cable.

Then connect up front as however you head unit is configured the '02 sony one has 2 RCA out so you can run front and backs, plug them in white to white red to red, then on the back of the headunit there is a Remo, this is remote and turns the relay on inside the amp, conect this up using a bullet conector, plug that in and you should get somthing not as many blue lead as this :

After that turn all your gains down to 0 and then power it up place the fuses in everywhere, there should be 2 in total. Then a light should appear on the amp nornally green and then you can set up your system, I shall post " how to set up your system" later tho, but for now turn the gains up a little but no more than half way   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   you should then have this and lots of loud crystal clear music:

Thanks to Craig for hosting the pictures   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

hope this helps people   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

any questions just post on this thread   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Hey mate,

Did you screw the MDF to the car or is it just shaped so it won't move?

Anonymous

tight fit and the weigth of the amp also keeps it down, but my new install has a brace from the chassis to stop the MDF and glassfiber moving

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"tight fit and the weigth of the amp also keeps it down, but my new install has a brace from the chassis to stop the MDF and glassfiber moving

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but does anyone have the pictures that go with this item?

Anonymous

Quoteyou should extend the cable going from the headunit and feed it under the carpet and to the bin

Ok, the way Buster is doing it, it's like the following scheme:

Sound goes from stock HU to speakers.
This is already passing through the stock HU Amp.

If you extend the cable from the HU to the AMP, then you get an already amp'ed signal.

The signal should go clear directly from the HU to the amp, without stock amp in the way.
I was wondering, since the stock HU does not have Preouts,  will it damage the amp, if the signal comes already from the stock HU's amp?

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimosSpyder"....I was wondering, since the stock HU does not have Preouts,  will it damage the amp, if the signal comes already from the stock HU's amp?

You need to buy an amp that can take speaker connections (high level) as the input. Putting an already amped signal into the usual RCA input connections will cause problems.

For example....
 m http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25 ... index.html m

See Features.....Speaker line input

Anonymous

Thanks a lot!
This is was what I was hopping to hear!

Anonymous

Is it possible to get the pictures working again?

kanujunkie

i'm gonna have to say no  s:( :( s:(  , buster is no longer around  s:( :( s:(  and i'm guessing the photo's have been deleted off his server. Perhaps you would like to create a new guide for us that we can host on ROCs server this time  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

looking at teh links they were either hosted for him on Craig or Kris servers, so they may still have them?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I will do a guide for the full install however it is going to be spring before anything happens at this rate!
going to put in:

DLS A5
DLS Ultimate UP6s
DLS MW10
Alpine 7998

plus some perspex, leds fans etc

kanujunkie

sounds good, guess we'll have to wait and see the piccies
[size=100]Stu[/size]

rtbiscuit

is heat a big issue off larger amps, and if so, how hot can they get, and what damage would it do?
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

kanujunkie

your fine Rich, i have a 500W Monobloc amp under my bin, its big enough to have to chop the bin floor down so that it would fit and i've never had an issue
[size=100]Stu[/size]

VVT-i

I don't know exactly what I'm getting yet,, but mine goes into Skidz in Falkirk on Monday to get a couple of 10" Kenwoods subs and 2 amps fitted.. one amp for the subs the other will power uprated door speakers.. will post more details as when.. and will let you know how it goes if thats helpfull.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"is heat a big issue off larger amps, and if so, how hot can they get, and what damage would it do?
It depends on the actually Amp as different classes etc let off different amounts of heat.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Guys, can u view the picutures above? would apreciate if it could b upload again

markiii

unfortunately Buster dissapeared 3 years ago

so we don't have them
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Long shot, but Buster credits Craig for hosting the pictures ... he may still have them kicking around.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Ernie Ball

This topic looks like it would be useful but without the pictures, Buster's explanation is hard to understand.

I'm thinking of putting an amp in the storage bins but I'm wondering how the wiring is supposed to work if one is adding an amp to an already existing installation.

I gather one is to run RCAs from the HU to the amp.  No problem.  It's the rest of the wiring I have trouble understanding.  Are you to run speaker wire from the amp in the bins to the speakers in the doors?  How?

And does the power come off of the loom going to the head unit or do you get it directly from the battery, as Buster seems to suggest?

I haven't even bought an amp yet, but I like to know what I'm in for.  s:) :) s:)

markiii

when I did it,

rca cables from HU to amp

speajer cables back more or less the same way up berhind teh dash and through teh grommets into teh door. It's painful but doable.

power and ground through the bins from teh battery

Chris

Yep that's pretty much it Ernie.  My install is the same - getting (fused) power direct from the battery, and then running rcas and speaker cable from the amp to the HU up front..
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Ernie Ball

Did you run the cables under the carpet?

If so, how did you get them under there?

If not, where did you run them?

Sorry for the noob questions.

markiii

under teh plastic on teh sills, ubder teh plastic where teh seatbelt emerges and straight into teh bin

from head unit the sills, yes under the carpet

Anonymous

This is exactly how I did it, but from memory I ran the cables from head unit to sills in or around the glove box cavity (not sure this is the correct terminology) and then down the trunking underneath the A pillar by the door hinge.

Tags: