Not sure if this is true or not............

Started by Anonymous, November 11, 2003, 10:36

Anonymous

I have just phoned my insurance company to ask about track day insurance and to see if they would cover me. They gave me a very definitive "NO", which is fair enough as some companies steer completely away from this. So I asked the guy, if I wanted to do one track day next year (i.e. the Angelsey trip), then what would his advice be. He said I would have to cancel the policy and take out insurance with a company that WOULD do track days. I asked the guy if I could just take out a days cover over my exzisting insurance and he said "no, it is illegal to insure a car twice, so you would still have to cancel". I asked him about no claims (I am still building mine from my accident 3 and a bit years ago) and he said if I was to cancel my policy, I would have to start again on the latest year with the new company, although I would keep any whole years that I have already built.

Now, I don't want to cancel and have to start again cos of the loss of my no claims (the renewal is AFTER the Anglesey trip, so would lose the whole year) and they are cheap.

I also don't want to be going to a track day not insured as although I have driven on track before, its always been in someone elses car, not mine and I am not prepared to risk it on my forst time out in my own car with no insurance, just in case...........

Has ANYONE got any ideas how I get around this and is what the guy on the phone said true? CAN I insure my car separately? I would REALLY like to go on the Angelsey trip. but I don't really fancy it if I am not insured, in case I total the car or something............

HELP!!!!

Anonymous

Firstly, you wouldn't be insured twice if you took out extra cover, since they're not insuring you, so how can you be insured twice?  s;) ;) s;)

As for trackday-only cover, BaT offered it last time I checked (although I think they've stopped doing so now), prices dependent upon how much cover you want. Given that the most likely damage (if any at all) would be some "simple" bumper/panel stuff, I went for just a few thousand of cover, which cost about £45 I think. The risk of needing that is small, the risk of a total loss is negligible, and one I was prepared to take.

There are also other trackday-only insurers; from the BaT FAQ;

QuoteWe recommend contacting Chris Yemm at Competition Car Insurance (Egger Lawson) who offer track day insurance for all UK and European BaT events. Their number is 01159 415 255

Anonymous

Yeah, he's talking crap. You can get extra tackday cover as a seperate cover. They were offering this at Silverstone for the Trax event I think so I know it can be done.

Anonymous

I'm surprised that taking out two insurance policies covering distinct areas (ie. one that only covers road, and one that only covers track) would be illegal.

At a guess he's thinking that the second policy would cover road use as well.

But even so, as far as I knew it wasn't illegal to have two insurance policies, you just couldn't claim on them both.... but I could be wrong here.

(to be honest, I can't see why having two sets of insurance is illegal anyway, why if I decide to pay two lots of premium aren't I entitled to two lots of compensation?  s:) :) s:)  )

Anonymous

Cheers guys. You have all summed up what I kinda thought he might be saying.......all crap!!!

So, the BaT stuff is worth a look then is it? £45 seems pretty reasonable I reckon and it will cover me for the weekend then..........nice one.   s:D :D s:D  

So, insurance isn't a problem. Phew! Thought I might miss out on that one. All I have to do now is make sure I can get the time off work and I am off to Anglesey! Hurrah!!!!

Better start saving for new tyres........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tags: