So I Wrote Off My Car...

Started by Anonymous, March 12, 2007, 02:17

aaronjb

Quote from: "N777CK T"so can anyone clear up / point me in the right direction so i know all the differences between an MR2 and MR-S ? and the different versions of them...?

In terms of the differences between years of MR2 Roadster:  m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4807 m

Between the MR-S and MR2 we don't seem to have a handy list, so here's what I can remember off the top of my noggin:

MR-S has shorter gear ratios over the European gearbox
MR-S did not have an LSD as standard until 2003 (I think), MR-2 has always had one as standard (definitely).
MR-S will come with a silly Japanese radio  s;) ;) s;)
MR-S has no rearmost plastic 'nappy' so the CAT is visible from the rear of the car
MR-S has no factory alarm, just immobiliser (UK cars have a Cat1 Toyota branded alarm fitted at port of entry)

There was a basic version of the MR-S which came without power windows, radio etc (I think even steel wheels!) - these seem to be very rare indeed.

The engines are the same regardless of country, same power.  The only differences there are:

Japanese cars do not have the third post-CAT O2 sensor for ODB-II compliance.
Japanese ECUs do not use standard ODB-II signalling, and reading the fault codes is impossible (or to be exact, nobody has found a code reader that works yet!)

I think that's everything.. or most things, at least.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

ok thanks for that... just read all about the 2ZZ-GE swap and got a nice insurance quote on it so think a UK spec one will do for me at first.
 s:) :) s:)
MR-S might be too much hassle as i've been looking at imported cars a while...

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"person you should pm is starzz121

her other half drives an FTO and she has the mr2. If its straight power you want though then get the FTO in the v6 version, but if you want something with playability in the corners then the mr2 is the way to go, plus with a few modifications could have a brilliant cornering car with more than enough power for the straights

lol wher eu got that from i get my mr2 in 5 weeks and my fella drives a golf hehe bless!! i think he wishes he drove an FTO!!

rtbiscuit

i think you mean squidge!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Just thought i'd chip in. I have an FTO (GR - V6) pre facelift, as well as my MK1 MR2 Supercharger.

For all out speed (at least off the line) my MK1 MR2 kills the FTO. Though bear in mind I have a modded SC  s;) ;) s;)

However, have been using the FTO as a daily driver for almost a year and it's never missed a beat (touch wood). They are actually very reliable (at least GR's are; I hear the mivecs are a touch more stressing on their engines). Performance between GR and GPX isn't enough to worry about, the Manual box gives better performance though. When looking at an FTO you will often be told to go for the best condtion one regardless of Transmission and I agree... I am a manual zealot and my SC is manual, but the FTO's tip tronic really is quite good. Not when you are moving around car parks (the usual clunkyness of an auto selector) but out on the road it's a joy to use, esp if you swap the gear change direction as some do (inc me). Just floor it and switch up/down with a flick of the wrist no need to take your foot off the throttle! Feels cool though real hardcore racers will always take the manual option.

If you are going facelift post 97 then I rec the GX (rebadged GR sports package that I have) which has 5 speed tiptronic instead of 4 and a stronger box + 10 more horses (180 vs 170).

I haven't driven a MK3 mr2 however though I know they are not as fast stock as a manual GPX is supposed to be ( ~6.8 ). I'd say they may be quite even upto 80mph in other guises. MR2 should handle better of course (I hope so!) and the FTO is a FWD car which while that sounds rubbish it's extremely good at handling (one of the best FWD cars for handling in a lot of reviews).

best points about the FTO?

.Looks Gorgeous/looks as if it's worth loads more than it costs
.Very practicle (large boot and back seats for 'stuff' though not really seating for 4 adults for long journeys - i treat it as a 2-seater anyhow.
.Nice driving feel/sporty supension/handling
.Equipment (Digital AirCon + few other toys and IMO sporty interior if you get the seats that have a subtle grey/blue instead of the shell suit multi coloured nonsense)
.Camskill, Japco and other places have all the bits you need!
.Beautiful to drive and still outhandles a lot of cars even rwd ones power steering seems nicely weighted.
.Excellent sound... idle is quiet but deep (esp with sports zorst) but best sound comes from the V6 itself when you work it towards redline (how it likes to be driven) it literally ROARS and sounds amazing... (not as good as an S2000 or what have you but for the money it's very sweet). Mivec on top sounds good too but maybe a bit more harsh than the normal V6 which sounds good anyway.

bad points

.Not as fast as it should be or looks to be
.Everyone trys to race you (esp stealth novas/chavs)
.Tinny metal (lightweight build considering size @1100 - 1200kg average)
.If you crash it midly, it will likely be written off due to parts VS car value - HOWEVER japco can save you!
.Front drop links (go quite often - cheap and easy to replace though)
.Insurance group - prob best not to get one until at least 25 (i'm 33)
.Drivers side central locking is weak (can be fixed cheaply)
.Sometimes harsh ride (lack of soundproofing and sporty setup don't help)
.Rattly Tappets, doesn't harm but can sound like a tractor at idle until warm on a cold winters day. Adjustable on the GPX/Mivecs, have to be replaced on the GR/Non mivec V6. Around £200 to replace (yourself). Drives fine with it, and normally passes within first 5 minutes. In summer you are not likely to hear it at all and it's only due to higher mileage (~60k?), replace them and get another 60k before it rattles again (I THINK)

Anonymous

thanks for that! but i forgot to let you know i changed my mind in the end and got this!

hope you like   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

FTO at 25? im 20 and an FTO was a hell of a lot cheaper than this on insurance!   s:P :P s:P

rtbiscuit

they are beautiful cars,

i hopeyour pockets are deep they require a lot of garage time, and it aint cheap.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Brave man, but I congratulate you. They are gorgeous and we all know about how they drive  s:) :) s:)   s:) :) s:)

How many miles is on it? Did it have it's rebuild yet? RX7 (FD3s) was in the running when I looked at cars previously but i'm so damn paranoid about the running costs/engine rebuilds.

I would still have one over many cars if I had the cash for repairs.

As for the FTO info, it will still be of use to someone in future who may be looking. FTO doesn't even start to compare to the RX7 as a serious driver's car though, but it is a VERY sensible all rounder and quite light in the pocket.

I'm suprised you even got insurance on the REX at your age!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

squidge

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"i think you mean squidge!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Think I have come accross this post a little late...

Yes its me who used to have an FTO and my other half still does   s:) :) s:)  guess it's too late now to offer to take you out in both....!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

The Rex is a good choice - drive safley & enjoy.

squidge

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"i think you mean squidge!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Think I have come accross this post a little late...

Yes its me who used to have an FTO and my other half still does   s:) :) s:)  too late now to offer to take you out in both!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

FWIW this would be a no-brainer for me.....

I know I haven't got an MR2 (yet.....  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted: ) but I feel like I can add some info anyways.

The FTO is FWD (I detest FWDs but that's beside the point) and it will torque steer like mad if you want to run any decent power in the future. Fact. Twinned with no-one really seems to realise how important power to weight ratios are in the 'real' world anymore. That V6 lump will weigh a ton.....what with it being over the front wheels also means you're going to spend a fair bit getting a correct suspension set up (if you throw yourself seriously into the mods) so make something out of it.

Yes for traffic light grandprix the FTO will have the top end but to buy a RWD, light, nimble and a convertible for the same money (ok, maybe a little more) thats just screams "Pick me! PICK ME!". Unfortunately the roads today don't allow for a lot of top-end fun, I think small and nimble is the way to go. (thats my excuse to the other half as well....er......yeah)

The FTO has more room, a boot and will be more practical over all so it really does depend on what you want. A sports car or a practical car....

My fun car Is a Mazda RX7 that i've gone cra-zy on and as I love my jap cars, I tend to only go for the ones that will give you more in the long run.....i.e. tunability and i'm ashamed to say, a bit of "Wow! WTF is that?!" factor.

Just my2 pence worth....

edited to say....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA good on you fella!!!

Don't worry about the engine re-builds, at £3k a pop for new ones it's not too crazy....apart from the fuel bills!!

What has it had done etc.....I can put you onto a good Rex tuner as well....

s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"MR-S is the same as thr MR-2 - just a different name.

There are various special editions and more variety of body kits on the Jap cars, but I think only 1 or 2 actual special editions that increase power (and not by much)

The 'trick' gearbox you refer to is the automatic SMT - which is also on UK MR2s.

If its outright speed you require, why not just get an Imprezze and wind up the turbo?

Wouldn't bother with the Scooby, especially modded.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I've had 2, WRX and STI, theyre a massive drain on your finances, always getting nicked and it will only be time before either your crank or piston goes pop.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

You must have had some bad experiences then fella

It does cost a fair bit to get them running decent power (not the newer sti's) and that is money you'll never get back but thats the same with any car youmod....

The Subaru was great, it's just so sad they have a 'chav' image now.

Right about them being nicked all the time though.....for one of the quickest point-to-point cars out there, they're great for bank robbers! That's why the plod have invested in a few!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

But they were always going to be sort after cars....for a car that fits 5 adults very comfortably, enough bootspace to pack away a couple of suitcases with sports car performance....they were bound to be.....

Anonymous

Not that i'm saying FWD isn't ultimately a pile of **** if ultimate performance if what you are after, and an MR2 is the easy/sensible purchase if you are after a street racer (compared to a slower, less modifiable and FWD FTO). However, the FTO weighs less than most cars it's size (mine is 1150kg which is less than an s2000 for ex). Sure the V6 is going to be heavier and it's over the front wheels, but in my experience having come from a "sorted" mk1 MR2, then Mr2SC to using an FTO on a daily basis you don't loose THAT much in handling on every day road trips (even fast driving). As I said, the FTO handles very well for a FWD up there with the integra type R.

I still wouldn't reccomend one over an MR2 if speed/handling/racing is your bag but sometimes people want a less extreme car with a tad more practicality at a VERY good price (that also looks good) and that is the slot the FTO fills (it's also pretty safe with it's FWD for when my GF uses it, it's a shared car).

Obv the original poster wouldn't have been happy with an FTO if he's gone for the demon RX7   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   but let's not write the FTO off as it is suitable for many as a stylish second car, and I love every minute i'm driving it (as I don't drive everywhere like i'm trying to win some imaginary "race" on the street).

The other cars mentioned (Skyline, Scooby, Evo etc) of course they are going to be far ahead of an FTO in their capabilities but they are not in the same price range (£2k for a half decent FTO). FTO is a decent, cheap package that in V6 form is fast enough for many normal drivers, but I agree it's not the best tuners car but not everyone wants to go to the extreme in EVERY car they buy.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

I agree, of course they don't.....but buy the looks of the original posters civic, I could tell he's a 'modder' through and through...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Anyway another soul captured by the REX.....next stop, world domination...  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Tags: