A/C switch

Started by Anonymous, November 12, 2003, 23:08

Anonymous

Quote from: "puggman"......

PS Also asked the parts guy for a A/C switch. I explained that I wanted it to control the aeriel while playing CDs. Would you believe that he couldn't sell me the switch if my car didn't have A/c fitted from new.

The switch details are :

55905 - 17070 Oval A/C switch knob price EUR 5
55910 - 17100 Switch assembly EUR 200

Both prices + tax and postage.

Your MRT said they could not supply unless the car originally came with A/C. My dealer said "Rubbish".    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

The switch assembly is strange. It contains at least 2 switches, one being for the rear heater, so I would suggest you look to see if your car already has this switch installed.

Let me know by PM if you want me to order one for you.

Anonymous

Victor,

Thanks for the help, but when I asked Toyota to quote for the switch for my 03 MR2, they said it's not a switch but part of the wiring loom ?

Puggman

Anonymous

Quote from: "puggman"Victor,

Thanks for the help, but when I asked Toyota to quote for the switch for my 03 MR2, they said it's not a switch but part of the wiring loom ?

Puggman

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I suggest you try another dealer then, unless you just have 2 bits of wire sticking out of your dash that you touch together   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Also Look  here http://www.mr2-roadster.de/Files/00-02partslist.pdf on page 6 (lower right) and page 7 top left. You want item 52.

Anonymous

ok then, bought the A/C switch from another dealer and fitted it today.

The switch now works and the little light indicates that it's on / off, but how do I connect it to the aerial. The little electronics board that controls the switch only has a small ribbon type connection.

I have pictures, but need someone to post them. PM me with your e-mail address if you can help with the hosting of pics.

confused,
Puggman

Anonymous

Sure email them to me & I will host them. PM on its way.

Anonymous

ok then......... here's the picture of my new A/C switch and existing control board with it's ribbon cable connector.

Question....... what the hell do I do now   s:? :? s:?  

Help !

cheers,
Puggman

Anonymous

First, I suggest you PM Buster as this is out of my experience.

Now a suggestion, usual disclaimers apply...you kcuf it up, its not my fault etc.

Look at the circuit board and find the connectors for the A/c switch. (board may be duel side or even multi layer which I doubt from the photos).

Now carefully trace the pcb tracks back to point where you can scrape and cut the board so the switch is no longer in the circuit. Solder a couple of wires to the track/switch which ever is easiest. Now find the antenna control wire and attach this to your new flying leads and the other flying lead to earth or +ve as required. Note you may need to install a relay or something.

As I said, best contact Buster first   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

right so let me get this right:

You want the AC swith to controll the arial going up and down!!!!

Hope im rigth as here how you do it.

You have installed the AC switch sucesfully ! Well done   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   now it bring a singal wire from the ribon cable which in turns turns the AC controller on (if you had one) (am i rigth in thinking you dont have AC) ?

If you havent got AC (which makes it eaier as you can take the feed from the fuse board marked with AC take the power from this but put in say a 5A fuses for the meanwhile,

Connect this power to the arieal controller located behind the driver under the plastic bin trim. It's a brown box and has Arial control box somthing printed on the side. It's about the size of a box of cig's.

After putting power to the box as you will have to disconect all power and cable execpt for the Coxail cable to the box so that the h/u cant power it

You then have to find out what on the ribon cable is the singal wire unfortunaly i dont know but if you got a muilt meter handy then it can be simply tested, you wont do harm to anything alse by testing so dont worry!

Then once found extend the cable which will be as an empty plug behind the radio, to the box and conect it to the signal wire!

I think 5A should be ok but if it is poping the fuses then just uprate it to 10A but dont go no higher but you could upgrade it to a motorrated fuse! to stop poping

If you got any other questions or i have got the wrong question that i have answered reply back on this thread

Cheers
Buster
  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

thanks Buster,

You're correct to assume that I don't have A/C...... just the button.

I though that I would just be able cut the signal wire at the back of the radio and connect each end of the switch into the circuit.

I will now have to digest your detailed description and perhaps draw up a wiring diagram before I get back to you any extra questions.

cheers,
Puggman.

Anonymous

yeah no worries But you would be best not to join it into orignal wires as when you come to sell etc you will have endless problems trying to get the wireing back to normall!

It's just part of being int eh audio install business is to run new wires for everything because then you know exatly what you are connecting to and cant blame the cars wireing for anything!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

But i used to cheat too tho   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Just dont tell the boss   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: