Shattered Screen

Started by Darth Paul, November 13, 2003, 14:49

Darth Paul

Went out for lunch today down the country lane and a falling roof tile completely shattered my windscreen and damaged the bonnet.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Scared the shit out of me. So I pulled into the residence and spoke to the gardener (the owners were out). Got a number and used his vac – the inside (and me) were completely covered in glass.

Phoned the insurance company(who told me to call back once I'd spoken to the house owners) who put me on to Autoglass. They've ordered the screen and will fit it tomorrow. Then I'll speak to the insurers about a new bonnet...

Now I recall a thread a long time ago about windscreens and how they differed, and which screen was the correct one. Also I think it mentioned some fitting problems. Anyone remember this and can give me any pointers?

Cheers

DP

Anonymous

Blimey Darth, that looks nasty! i think i would have touch cloth had that happened to me!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Hope it all gets sorted for you.

Darth Paul

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Blimey Darth, that looks nasty! i think i would have touch cloth had that happened to me!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Hope it all gets sorted for you.

Something in my pants nearly touched cloth...

DP

Anonymous

Christ!!! I am impressed it just shattered and stayed together with a roof tile!!! I have seen bloody great HOLES in screens from things a lot softer, such as birds!!!!

You're a lucky puppy mate! Glad you're OK geezer. Must have been a hell of a scare.........  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Blimey!

That is scarey.

Imagine the outcome if you didn't have the hardtop on, and had been a millisecond later in meeting the tile......

Doesn't bear thinking about really.....wouldn't have just been a new screen, bonnet and wiper.

Think yourself lucky.........well, sort of, anyway!!

Tough one!

As an afterthought, I would think you should be able to recover all your losses from the house holders insurers, under their third party indemnity cover.  Roof tiles should not fall off onto passersby!!!

Why should your insurers pay?

Andrew

Anonymous

how fast were you going?

Darth Paul

Quote from: "phil4"how fast were you going?

s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  

Not fast enough.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  The building that I was passing is on the left on a single track road on a blind LH bend. Therefore, I was hugging the left side of the road about to go round the bend, and the house was just next to me on the left. I was going about 10mph. It's impossible to go faster.

DP

Anonymous

Good job too.  Think if you'd been doing, 30/60 and had the misfortune to still be underneath, then maybe things'd have been a little more messy.

Darth Paul

Quote from: "phil4"Good job too.  Think if you'd been doing, 30/60 and had the misfortune to still be underneath, then maybe things'd have been a little more messy.

Indeed. Course, it might have missed me altogether...  s:? :? s:?  

DP

Slacey

Man, that's nasty... our cars look so similar that's made me feel  a bit ill - I'm edgy enough as it is with my car being at the dealers for tonight and tomorrow... I'm not happy when I can't see it!   s:( :( s:(
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

GSB

Regarding your new screen, there is no "wrong" type as such, as you will NOT get one with a toyota logo on it for love nor money. Mainly because Toyota dont manufacture their own glass, but contract it out to other makers. Here in the UK it means you'll probabley get a Pilkington screen, but its exactly the same thing... When I had my screen replaced I was told there are two small pieces of plastic that have to be fitted, that locate the screen in the correct place while the adhesive is setting, if these aren't fitted, or put in the wrong way, the screen doesnt fit.

Oh and put the roof down for the fitting. it makes it easier for the guy doing the job, and makes sure the screen frame isnt pre-stressed when the glass goes in... Leave it down for a few hours if you can, or up with the latches undone while the glue goes off.

Hope this helps!
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tags: