17" wheels question...

Started by Anonymous, March 26, 2007, 20:46

Anonymous

Hello everyone!  s:D :D s:D  

I have a chance to buy these alloys:
http://www.bartol.vwzone.pl/image.php?id=34432
They're 4x100; 17x7,5" ;ET 35.

My question refers to ET.
Do you have any experience with such ET?
(I'm going to choose 205/40r17 tires).
Will they rubb?

Anonymous

Make sure you keep the tyre sizes staggered.

rtbiscuit

EEEEK!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

not sure how they will look on the 2,

i would say you want minimal spokes for a 2, its a slim line car.

if you want some 17"'s there is a guy on here who was going to sell some and they did look nice!

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15449 m

at the end of the day it is all down to personal preference if you like them then go for them!   s:D :D s:D
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "nelix"Make sure you keep the tyre sizes staggered.
Ups, nearly forgot about that.

What's up with the ET 35?

Anonymous

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"at the end of the day it is all down to personal preference if you like them then go for them!   s:D :D s:D

Cheers,  s:D :D s:D  
I do like them but still not sure whether they fit or not.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

VVT-i

The offset is the distance between the mounting surface and the centre line of the wheel, it is always measured in millimetres.

If you sit the wheel down on a flat surface and measure the width of the wheel, divide it by 2, you get the centre line. The offset is then the difference between this centre line and the point in which the wheel comes into contact with the hub (mounting surface). The bigger the offset, the closer it will sit to the strut, the smaller the offset, the closer it will sit to the arch.

Example :- ET35 will sit closer to the wheel arch than ET45.

So with ET35 you will just need to watch that you don't go with too wide a tyre for the rear.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

markiii

et 35 up front with a 7.5" wheel and inho your guaranteed to rub

wheel is too wide
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"et 35 up front with a 7.5" wheel and inho your guaranteed to rub

wheel is too wide

s:( :( s:(  
Is there any way to prevent rubbing?

markiii

smaller wheel? drive in straight lines only?

seriously 7.5" or offset 35 may work but both and your gong to hit problems especialy when turning only option is rolling teh fender/wing
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quoteonly option is rolling the fender/wing
Guess I'll have to think about it.
Has anybody tried to do it?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

spynish

Hi all,

I'm seriously thinking of buying a set of these superb wheels: SSR Professor SP1. Call me ricer, but think will go for 17x7 and 17x7,5, a lot of money just to go 16, specially taking in account can't lower the car much (if any) due to my body kit.

My idea is mounting 205 front and 225 rear. But my doubts is which offset should I choose (sorry, I'm specially bad on this..  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ).

Front: 17x7 and ET 37 or 49   s:?: :?: s:?:  
Rear: 17x7,5 and ET 30, 43 or 55   s:?: :?: s:?:  

Can I be sure someway wont' rub??

Any comments are welcome. Thanks mates!

Tem

Quote from: "spynish"Call me ricer

Ricer!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

QuoteMy idea is mounting 205 front and 225 rear. But my doubts is which offset should I choose (sorry, I'm specially bad on this..  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ).

Front: 17x7 and ET 37 or 49   s:?: :?: s:?:  
Rear: 17x7,5 and ET 30, 43 or 55   s:?: :?: s:?:

The first one is easy, 37 should work. 49 will rub for sure, if you could even get the wheel on with that.

The 2nd one is harder. I think 30 comes outwards too much and I'm afraid that 43 might be too much inwards.  s:? :? s:?  Surely not 55 anyway! Maybe you should get the 43 and use spacers if it rubs.

I can tell you that 205/50/15 and 225/50/15 on stock wheels didn't rub at all, not even on track. That's with Sportivo lowering. I believe the stock ET is 42.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

stock et is 45 and there is quite a lot of space at teh back so 49mm might work just

spynish

First of all, thank you both. Help much appreciated.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Quote from: "Tem"The first one is easy, 37 should work. 49 will rub for sure, if you could even get the wheel on with that.

The 2nd one is harder. I think 30 comes outwards too much and I'm afraid that 43 might be too much inwards.  s:? :? s:?  Surely not 55 anyway! Maybe you should get the 43 and use spacers if it rubs.

I can tell you that 205/50/15 and 225/50/15 on stock wheels didn't rub at all, not even on track. That's with Sportivo lowering. I believe the stock ET is 42.

One question more Tem, what do you mean saying 30 comes outwards too much. I understand this only affects looks and probably TUV, but is there any problem on having this "german tuning" looking (on handling  I mean)?.
Or it's just you think it will look even more ricer...  s:?: :?: s:?:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tem

Quote from: "spynish"One question more Tem, what do you mean saying 30 comes outwards too much. I understand this only affects looks and probably TUV, but is there any problem on having this "german tuning" looking (on handling  I mean)?.

If you're still going to drive the car, you'll need bloody stiff springs or huge wheelgap. If your wheels come out too much and they are biggish, you'll keep hitting the fender with the tyre on every bump. Normally the tyre goes inside the fender.  s:? :? s:?

I'd just take the ET43 and bring it outwards with spacers, if needed. Up to ET30, if you want to try it.  s8) 8) s8)

QuoteOr it's just you think it will look even more ricer...  s:?: :?: s:?:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

That too!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"Normally the tyre goes inside the fender.  s:? :? s:?

Unless you're German:

Personally I don't mind the 'Euro look' on things like the above - y'know, Euro cars  s;) ;) s;)  but I have a feeling it'd just look royally stupid on a Roadster...
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

philster_d

So say 34 for example you could space it outwards for the rears ? or is it out too far already?

I keep getting confused.

spynish

Quote from: "Tem"If you're still going to drive the car, you'll need bloody stiff springs or huge wheelgap. If your wheels come out too much and they are biggish, you'll keep hitting the fender with the tyre on every bump. Normally the tyre goes inside the fender.  s:? :? s:?

Well there's another option, and is making a wider fender. But perhaps a wider bottom with stock front fenders looks ludicrous...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Not a great fan of spacers. Don't know if should consider another wheels option...

Tem

Quote from: "spynish"Not a great fan of spacers.

Me neither, but they are ok for finetuning the ET for few mm's. Wouldn't use +10mm spacers myself.

philster_d

Funnily enough I saw a bmw last night by my house with wider wheels than the car and foreign plates/lhd

Very odd.

spynish

Back again,

Another possible solution would be geting Rota D2, which are the cheap copy and there's no much difference on weight:

Also, there are more offsets to choose:

17 x 7.5   +20/+25/+30/+35/+40/+48   4h/5h x 100/114.3

It's a pity there's not 17x7 measure, but could work:

17x7,5 35 or 40? at the front and
17x7,5 40? at the rear

s:?: :?: s:?:  

Thanks again!

Anonymous

How come you never went with the Velox wheels?!

spynish

Quote from: "bossman23780"How come you never went with the Velox wheels?!

I don't trust much on quality. No references. So for same price or a bit more there are many alternatives...

It's not I like much Rota, it's just I like Proffesor design and don't want spacers.

Anonymous

Theres a guy on SC who had them but i only found out till recent he had them, but he said they were great!

oh and i have them   s:D :D s:D

Tags: