mr2 a girlie car??

Started by freak_in_cage, April 3, 2007, 15:36

freak_in_cage

hi all

as you have probably noticed from my other posts im on the lookout for a mk 3 mr2! however, i have had several comments from friends as to how much of a girlie car it is! many of whom are driving fans and have suggesteded integra type r, imprezza, even the mx5 as its less girlie!

i have no intention of leting them influence my decision as i feel that anyone who allows the imge of a car define who they are has identity issues. i am after a true drivers car- one which requires skill, respect and handles lke a dream- any idiot can drive a scooby or integra quick!!

i also feel that after the straight line speed of "mens" cars wears off (or your liscence goes!) you are only left with the fun factor of a car and its handling.

would be interested in knowing ppls experiences of the above.

also- what colours are considered least girlie. photos of silver 2s look a bit girlie i think, although in the flesh it looks far less so IMO

photos of black 2s look more masculine IMO, but i wonder whether the dark colour would aexaggerate the 2s cuvy contours making it look even more girlie??

red leather with black can look sporting or girlie depending on how you look at it!???

sable grey looks gorgeous i reckon but there aint too many of these about.

Stifler

As long as you are safe in the knowledge that you have bought the car you wanted and it makes you smile everytime you get in it i dont see what the problem is.

From my personal pov all my mates thinks my 2 is an awesome little car and all the hairdresser comments are from jelous individuals who have ford fiestas ( no offence to fiesta owners  s:) :) s:) )

Seriously, there are more important things to worry about in life than if your 'mates' think your car is girlie or not  s:) :) s:)

Stif.

<edit - just read my post and it sounds a bit abrasive, it was not intended too  s:D :D s:D >

aaronjb

Yes, it's a girls car.

If you're a man, dressing like this is compulsary:

As for the other suggestions of cars - shopping trolley with wing, ramraiders favourite, even girlier (more space for your Jimmy Choos in the boot).

There - there's some arguments you can retort with.. at about the right intellectual level for anyone who calls any car 'a girls car'  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Stifler

LOL! @ aaron  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

girls love em my wife liked mine so much she bought 1 the same lol blue ones look great   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

You need to make your own mind up, get in the car and drive one to the limit, then you'll understand why it's got such a dedicated following - MX5   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

As for colour - that's down to an individuals taste - not your mates  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob

Anonymous

when people say to me thats a hair dressers car can i have a cut i just say sure put ur head under the wheels and i will see what i can do lol

firepower

if people say the mr2 is a girls car then that is their opinion and they are welcome to it i would not argue but i would say it is a fine car in its own right and why should girls and hairdressers have all the best cars just because we are afraid of what other people may think  

the scooby and integra are also fine cars but when the good weather comes you can't beat a convertible   s:) :) s:)
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

karlus972

Why do you care so much?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
I've never heard that kind of macho comments, but if so, then fine! I've got no problem with driving a "girly" car. In fact, I do let my girlfriend drive the 2....   s:D :D s:D  and I have NO problem with it. Integra or Impreza? great!! i wouldn't sell my 2 for any of them.....

At the end of the day, i see it more as jaleousy from people who simply do not have a 2, or cannot handle it......  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Madinina Style!!

Anonymous

Girls use fake tan..men have convertibles! Much more masculine! I'm gonna get a burnt head and I don't care malarkey! Mind you, I've been round cadwell park in an integra and a 550bhp 997 911 turbo. The 911 was quick (was in wet) and it was a lot fun (even for me as a passenger) but it didn't compare to the integra for take you're breathaway value. It does have loads of spoon racing bits on but when you're forcing stripped out rally spec evo's to pull off line you know its quick. I'd have one but then again i'm on the look out for an roadster. Subaru I can prob understand but 9000rpm on a road car is still impressive as far as i'm concerned!

rtbiscuit

i had this problem till i let my mates have a go in it at a beach run.

i tell you what they soon shut up.

same when i have given people lifts by the time they got to there destination they were singing different tunes.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

aaronjb

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"same when i have given people lifts by the time they got to there destination they were singing different tunes.

I don't think screaming "For the love of god, let me out!" counts as singing, Rich  s;) ;) s;)    s:P :P s:P
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

rtbiscuit

LMAO
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Haslamr2

Quote from: "freak_in_cage"i am after a true drivers car- one which requires skill, respect and handles lke a dream- any idiot can drive a scooby or integra quick!!

i also feel that after the straight line speed of "mens" cars wears off (or your liscence goes!) you are only left with the fun factor of a car and its handling.

Think you've answered your own question there haven't you??
If that's what you're after then the '2 is a fine choice.

As for it being 'girlie' pah!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=75]05 MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster Red Spec Edit, TTE Dual exhaust TTE Lowering springs
Ali Larter in the passenger seat...lovin it!!! [/size]

karlus972

Well, may be it's a character thing, but in these kind of situation where an idiot is mocking me, saying "uh ya got a girly car.....wouha...." i give him a nice smile or grin, I got in my car, press the start button and drive off....

Never try to argue with an idiot. Someone watching might not be able to tell the difference......   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
Madinina Style!!

Anonymous

Hmmm Girlie - yeah that's original.
These comments always come from people who have never driven one.

I'll say one thing:

5 EVO Stars

Still think it's girly?

ChrisGB

I get a few hairdersser jokes of the crowd, but it is all harmless fun. If you are worried about your masculinity, get councelling then get the car  s8) 8) s8)  

Seriously though, for the money, there is nothing comes close for driving pleasure, and as you rightly say, when the novelty of loads of easily accessible performance has worn off, the '2 is a really good drivers car.

Dont know if it is a girlies car, but girlies seem to like blokes in them  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Liz

Whats the majority of regular posters on this forum?...that would be blokes, unless you have all changed your name to Vidal Sasson.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

spit

Whats a hairdresser?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"Whats a hairdresser?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

For me ...... pointless! My head is not too dissimilair to the smiley's ->   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Had the girlie, hairdresser comments but usually from prats I wouldn't take advice from on anything. Scared vthe crap out of one when he asked for a run out, he was gripping the seat and almost screaming at the first corner we took.  Left the braking to the last sec and gunned it round a tight right hander and got a bit of tail twitch going on. That one now has a lot more respect  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

The grin factor alone from every day driving is priceless. The low purchase price, reasonable depreciation and 37 mpg make it a great little car.  You just want to spend time driving it with roof down and modding is infectious.

Best car we have ever owned, had her for nearly a year and still love driving it or watching the wife pull up in it. She looks so cool  s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)   the wife that is!!!!  s:D :D s:D

loadswine

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
I don't actually laugh out loud very often , but that's a cracker Ste!
Mine is a number 3 cut, so I've hardly been done by Vidal! Oooh , that doesn't sound good either.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Sitting in the 2 instantly makes me smile, no its not wind!! I don't think I'd get the same feeling driving many other cars at all, especially for the money.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Ste, i can get you an estimate if you want?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

spit

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Back on topic, and echoing some of the comments above, the only reason not to want to get a '2 is if you don't want to get one (if that makes sense?).

Although I'm now harbouring images of Aaron in a latex catsuit ... which may be too big a price to pay  s:? :? s:?    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

aaronjb

Quote from: "spit"Although I'm now harbouring images of Aaron in a latex catsuit ... which may be too big a price to pay  s:? :? s:?    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Oh dear - I'm sorry Ste, nobody should have to have that as a mental image!

Tags: