Dan is a star (marks MK1 thread)

Started by markiii, April 26, 2007, 23:39

markiii

right then, having been driven off by torential rain for one day.

mental note must get a battery so I can move it into teh garage.

it seems that the front chin spoiler will be reuseable. :-) :-) :-)

front grill is intact  :-) :-) :-)

front bumper is cracked big style, so junk that  s:-( :-( s:-(

and judging from teh amount of rust that fellout teh front bumper bar is likely toast  s:-( :-( s:-(

more to follow
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

right then spent another few hours on her removing teh front bumper this week.

suffice to say Toyotas penchant for making everything bolt on was evident

14 bolts holding on teh front bumper.

fortunately for roadster owners theyv'e learned from their mistakes over the years

4 hours to strip teh front end   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  every single bolt was hidden by something else that had to be removed first. including removing teh whole pop up lamp assembly.

what fun  :-) :-) :-)

looks like the rad only has 10% of it's fins intact

front lip came off ok and is all intact

front bumper bar is a real mess

fortunatelty what I had thought was a cracked bumper was only the paint, so thats reuseable  :-) :-) :-)

and teh inside of the front bin was all in good shape

I doubt teh roadster will survive this well at 20 years old though as teh paint quality on teh MK1 is leaps and bounds ahead.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

What's even more amazing - considering the state of the radiator - is that it doesn't overheat!

Drives like a charm, too, and the interior feels more like a sportscar than the Mk3 (granted a rather retro sportscar  s;) ;) s;) ).

Such a cool little motor  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

firepower

looks like a lot of work there mark but if you do manage to get the mk1 road worthy you will find it really is a cracking sports car   s:) :) s:)  i owned a mk1 for 6 years before moving to the roadster it was a great car to drive but getting through the mot every year became a chore.
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Anonymous

Quote from: "firepower"looks like a lot of work there mark but if you do manage to get the mk1 road worthy you will find it really is a cracking sports car   s:) :) s:)  i owned a mk1 for 6 years before moving to the roadster it was a great car to drive but getting through the mot every year became a chore.

lol, tell me about it, had my mk1 for 11 years  s:D :D s:D

markiii

Quote from: "nelix"
Quote from: "firepower"looks like a lot of work there mark but if you do manage to get the mk1 road worthy you will find it really is a cracking sports car   s:) :) s:)  i owned a mk1 for 6 years before moving to the roadster it was a great car to drive but getting through the mot every year became a chore.

lol, tell me about it, had my mk1 for 11 years  s:D :D s:D

how many mint shaped holes did it have when you sold it?

Anonymous

Told you mate, EXTRA STRONG, not polos  s:D :D s:D  
Your correct about Donna though  s:D :D s:D

firepower

mine was like a tea bag   s:( :( s:(   ended up selling on ebay as a doner or project car still have a soft spot for it and wish the new owner well would'nt mind seeing it again if it is ever on the road , the guy who bought it "really great bloke" an enthusiast  had another mk1 and may have used mine for spares   s:( :( s:(  
moved on now got a fantastic roadster   s:D :D s:D  no regrets as you should not get sentimental over a car or it could cost you ££££
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

markiii

latest update

spent a couple of hours on Sunday removing teh front wings, as they are junk anyway.

see below

for teh record the wings are held on by 5 bolts on teh top edge, 1 behind teh door reveal, 1 at teh base of teh a pillar and 4 under where teh headlight assemblies go.

fairly easy to get off, even managed to avoid shearing any bolts  :-) :-) :-)

seems a favorite issue with teyh MK1 is crap getting in behind the wing and piling up from teh bottom which rots teh wing from teh inside out.

Found half a growbag in each side  s:-( :-( s:-(

fortunately the base of the a pillar only has surface rust behind this  :-) :-) :-)

on teh downside teh outer drivers side sill is fubared  s:-( :-( s:-(

front chassis legs look sound other than some small interior rust

more soon

aaronjb

That's good news Mark - what's left to fix doesn't look so bad from that point.. outer sill work is fairly straightforward, just need to kill the rust in the chassis legs before it gets any further  s:) :) s:)

Frosts have some good rust killing paint, btw..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

rtbiscuit

i'm about to go and buy some rust killing gel from hammerite, if you want the left overs, let me know.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

markiii

left overs  :-) :-) :-)

reckon I'll need a skip load myself  :-) :-) :-)

philster_d

hehe just leave it about another year and the parts will just fall off ready for selling   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

rtbiscuit

theres the concentrated stuff that you dilute with water, but you have to leave things in over night for that little joy.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

rmowbray

Definitely a common problem. I remember a thread on IMOC a few years ago titled "Free compost with every Mk1"    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I know this car has been mentioned in MR2 Only Magazine but there's some great pictures of its restoration on this link for anyone who's interested:

m http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... estoration m

Tags: