Oil Pressure

Started by mph, November 20, 2003, 10:41

mph

Just had an oil pressure gauge fitted. After a few teething problems it's all happily up and running. Anyway point of this post:

When starting from cold in the morning, it takes approximately 14 seconds for the engine to get the oil pressure up to it's operating value.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Slacey

I let mine tick over for about that before pulling away from cold anyway, it's always best to - I think the manual states a 10 second wait also.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

SteveJ

Quote from: "mph"Just had an oil pressure gauge fitted. After a few teething problems it's all happily up and running. Anyway point of this post:

When starting from cold in the morning, it takes approximately 14 seconds for the engine to get the oil pressure up to it's operating value.

Fully synth oil won't be helping with that though  s:( :( s:(

Tem

Quote from: "mph"When starting from cold in the morning, it takes approximately 14 seconds for the engine to get the oil pressure up to it's operating value.

Makes me wonder if your oil filter is faulty...it shouldn't take that long, even though I don't have an oil pressure gauge in mine.

But I had a pressure gauge in my prev car and it jumped right to normal pressure when started (well, within a second anyway). But after one oil change, it didn't...seemed to take forever, but I turned the engine off before it ever reached the normal pressure and didn't time it either.

Anyway, the reason was that the closing cap of the oil filter didn't function. It's supposed to keep the oil in the filter when you turn the car off, but this didn't and it drained the oil. And cause of that, it took a while to build up the pressure...

Also, if you don't fill the filter by hand when changing it, you'll also run oilless for a while.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

mph

I guess it can depend on whereabouts you've got the gauge feed and orientation of filter. Since it's just had an oil change as part of the work, it may well 'bed in' and give a quicker response time. Do note I'm not running standard spec stuff (as SteveJ mentions) due to the requirements of running a turbo.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tags: