Hi Guys, thinking MK3 now

Started by tonigmr2, May 1, 2007, 15:17

tonigmr2

Some of you may have met me before on IMOC (I have a MK1 and a MK2..).

Now I am thinking of a MK3, and am on the look out for info for a change.  s:) :) s:)  Have got the burning urge for a convertible for the summer.

Just a couple of Qs - I'm told all UK MK3s have an LSD but some import MR-S's don't - is there a way to identify this on the chassis?  
Am I right in thinking that the 'facelift' happened in 2003 and included a change from a five speed to a six speed gearbox for the manual?
What is special about the TF300 models...

Appreciate any replies (oh and if you're selling an interesting example do let me know, though I have to shift my drift car first for space reasons!  Manual versions only please...)

T
Yellow 55 with hardtop and aircon!

freak_in_cage

hi m8

yeah- facelift was broadly described at 2003 but it was in fact late 52- like u say easiest way is gearbox but front styling looks different too!

you will love the handling of mk 3!!!! its amazing!

not sure on how 2 tell if car has LSD, other than to see how well it drifts lol   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

only thing to watch on convertable is the roof is REAL expensive to replace, very hard to fit correctly and if the rear windscreen is broken then you have to replace roof also!

tonigmr2

Ta - found info on the forum about the TF300 (appears not generally liked!) and the revisions.  Seems like 2004 also had a lot of work.

I am thinking hard over whether to go for an older one to track, or a nice new one to float about in all summer.  I am very much liking the sable coloured cars with red leather atm...
T

roger

Quote from: "tonigmr2"Ta - found info on the forum about the TF300 (appears not generally liked!) and the revisions.  Seems like 2004 also had a lot of work.

I am thinking hard over whether to go for an older one to track, or a nice new one to float about in all summer.  I am very much liking the sable coloured cars with red leather atm...
T

IMO the TF300 were ordinary cars with a bit of extra seat stitching and badges to make them "special". You are probably aware TF300 stands for The Final 300.

Things changed as the summary shows, and certainly bracing and strengthening got better and better as the car aged, but most of it can be purchased as add-ons from 3rd Party vendors, though if you want sable thats got to be post 03. (The best colour   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Still, as you say, you've got to make your decision yet, whatever it is you will not regret it. We'll give you an even bigger welcome once you've bought   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Hi Toni, good to see you over on the dark side!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

AFAIK there is no way to identify whether an import MR-S has LSD or not, bar putting one wheel on slippy mud and one wheel on tarmac and seeing what happens. I know that there were a couple of different specs in Japan (V-Edition and S-Edition IIRC), but I can't remember which one was which with regard to being the higher spec, or even if either came with LSD as standard.

Given the choice over an older 5sp or newer 6sp, I'd take the 6sp 'box everyday. It'll make no difference on track as the ratios are identical (assuming we're talking Jap/Jap or UK/UK) but the extra gear to cruise on a motorway is invaluable. An '03 plated car should be a bargain to pick up right now, it just depends whether you prefer the facelifted front bumper or not more than anything. But then, that can always be replaced...!  s;) ;) s;)

aaronjb

Welcome Toni  s:) :) s:)

I think others have covered most things..

Also points to note - the Japanese cars have shorter ratios, but no LSD on some cars.
S-spec was the low end spec I think

I'd agree with Dan - I'd rather have the 6-speed than the 5-speed.

There's a good sticky (I think it's a sticky) with lots of info on the year-on-year changes  s:) :) s:)

<irresistable question> Have you finished the twin charger yet?  s;) ;) s;)  </irresistable question>
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"<irresistable question> Have you finished the twin charger yet?  s;) ;) s;)  </irresistable question>

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

And there was me avoiding that!  s;) ;) s;)

kanujunkie

Toni   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   Mk3   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

welcome to the dark side!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

thats 2 IMOC committee members that have given in, and i saw speedy in one the other day, we'll get the rest of them soon  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

as the others have said Toni, get an 03+ the engine internals and braceing are better. If funds stretch to it then the late 04+ are even better for body braceing.

What will your plans be? turbocharger?, supercharger?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

kanujunkie

[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"What will your plans be? turbocharger?, supercharger?

Twinch... *hides from Toni*

Ok ok, I'll stop that now  s:) :) s:)

(And thanks Stu - that's the thread I was thinking of, but was too busy to dig out earlier  s:) :) s:) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

tonigmr2

Cheers I'd found the sticky from a search but I appreciate your help  s:D :D s:D  

LOL atm given I've got two major projects on the go I just want a MK3 as a runaround...but that's not to say I haven't thought wicked things in the longer term.  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

NO I HAVEN'T FINISHED THE F* TWINCHARGER.  Just need to get that out of the way.    s:) :) s:)    But I have moved it and I do expect it to be done this year, believe me when it is the champagne is on me at a launch party, LOL

Anyone seen that VM180 TRD in the flesh from the for sale section and want to PM me any info?

T

tonigmr2

p.s. I've also decided the red leather interior is for me.  s:) :) s:)  
T

philster_d

Hello   s:) :) s:)    Somehow missed this post.

Welcome Toni.

And Im sure I saw your worser half on TV the other day   s8) 8) s8)  

Philster.
xXx

tonigmr2

If it was about airports you probably did, he is on some programme that has been repeated half a million times on Sky complaining about planes, LOL.

T

philster_d

hehehe see you soon.

Ask of us, whatever you need.

Phil.

scottish_turbo

J-spec levels in order....

mr-s B edition - basic spec

mr-s

mr-s S edition

mr-s V edition

The V edition wasn't introduced until late 2000 and came with leather as standard -at the moment thats all I can think of thats different between that and the S edition (but thats only applicable to models after late 2000)

After the chassis number in brackets you would see the edition in brackets where applicable.

An LSD was optional on all models.

Welcome to mr2roc    s:D :D s:D

kanujunkie

Quote from: "tonigmr2"Anyone seen that VM180 TRD in the flesh from the for sale section and want to PM me any info?

i've not seen that one Toni but if you want to look at a VM180 then give Patrick a call, he has one.

[size=100]Stu[/size]

tonigmr2

Have seen Patricks (well Lynns I should say, LOL!)

Quite fancy it as something different.  We'll see.
T

tonigmr2

What say you lot on a price of £16995 for an '06 roadster in sable, with hardtop and aircon, red leather and only 30 odd miles on it?

T

Anonymous

Lot of money for a discontinued car... But then if you really have your heart set on as newer one as possible then I guess that's probably as good a car as any. Also sable is just stunning to look at  s8) 8) s8)

tonigmr2

I think it's a bit pricey too.  Only one in the spec I'd like I can see though.  I spoke to the dealer and he was like 'it's already £2.5K discounted off the new price'.  So am thinking about it.

I've seen a few 'red' editions about which look nice, but never seem to have a hardtop or aircon.  Did they never have those options available?

T

Anonymous

Quote from: "tonigmr2"What say you lot on a price of £16995 for an '06 roadster in sable, with hardtop and aircon, red leather and only 30 odd miles on it?

T

Hi, i paid £3500 less than that 3 months ago for a 06 sable with 7 miles on it, no a/c hard top or leather though.

Anonymous

Is that Lynn's 180 in the pictures then?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "bossman23780"Is that Lynn's 180 in the pictures then?

yes, pictured at the world record attempt

i agree with the others Toni, seems a tad on the high side, £15000 would get my interest for that age and mileage
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

I just wondered if those were 17's on it and what brakes and such they were, did they come with the car or is it something they did themselves?!

Tags: