Hi Guys, thinking MK3 now

Started by tonigmr2, May 1, 2007, 15:17

spit

You do impressions aswell?

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Best of luck. Let's see if we can rustle up some good weather for you.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

tonigmr2

LOL, yep very talented me.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Ever since I bought the thing it hasn't stopped raining!!  Sunny now but coming home with hardtop on anyway.  s:) :) s:)  

T
Yellow 55 with hardtop and aircon!

tonigmr2

I LOVE IT!!!
T

Anonymous

Best colour, best year, of course you love it, sables lead, lesser colours follow  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

heathstimpson

Been sunny around my way the last two days; actually got the grass cut at last. So what do you think Toni on your new toy  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

tonigmr2

It's great.  s:) :) s:)  

It's comfortable, not too noisy, firm yet compliant, responsive and zippy.  s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)  

I keep going to look at it in the drive, haven't done that with any car for a long time.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Husband loves it too, so big score on both points!
T

kanujunkie

woohhooo, another MK2 convert  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

you'll have to get rid of that box'o'mk2 parts now and replace it with some mk3 ones  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

tonigmr2

LOL, have promised to keep it standard, though...  s:) :) s:)  

Quite fancy some bits of blingy chrome - was going to change wheels but don't think I will now.

My only slight criticism is it feels light at motorway speeds, I'm told lowering it helps with this?

T

rtbiscuit

front strut brace also helps, it stops it feeling so light and floaty at speeds
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

kanujunkie

and stops a lot of understeer issues

i'd recommend the springs and FSB if nothing else Toni, whilst your there chuck in a corkies brace as well
[size=100]Stu[/size]

tonigmr2

FSB?

I'm going to drive it around for a month without touching it (have promised myself  s:) :) s:)  ) to decide what else I might want doing, LOL

Fed the dry leather seats yesterday, now looking a lot better!
T

markiii

Quote from: "tonigmr2"LOL, have promised to keep it standard, though...  s:) :) s:)  

Quite fancy some bits of blingy chrome - was going to change wheels but don't think I will now.

My only slight criticism is it feels light at motorway speeds, I'm told lowering it helps with this?

T

if it's running stock stones or yokos drop teh fronts tye pressures a couple of psi
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

FSB = Front Strut Brace
[size=100]Stu[/size]

tonigmr2

Doh!

OK info taken on board...no toucho for a month though promised hubby.  s:) :) s:)  

T

tonigmr2

Has anyone else found it near bloody impossible to get the hood up?  Both me and my husband spent 20 minutes pushing and pulling the damn thing and finally got it in place.  I checked everything and it all looked in ok, is it possible as it's been sitting since March '06 (and probably never used) it is just very stiff?
T

Anonymous

Quite possibly, mine was always a bit stiff in the summer after leaving it down for the hardtop all winter. Might be worth giving it a good clean with some roof restorer just to make it a bit more pliable.

markiii

pulll it as far as it goes, then back down , then up

repeat for a few mins and it should loosen up enough to shut teh latches,

they get stiff when not used.

Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

tonigmr2

I couldn't believe how difficult it was.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    I am hoping 24 hours up will stretch it out a bit...will have a look over some hood cleaner too.

After doing a bit of searching I think my first mod will be one of those breastplates, scuttle shake very evident with hard top off!!

T

philster_d

Yeah mine was a bit tough when the HT came off.

aaronjb

Mine was always tough after taking the HT off, but it's always nigh on impossible to put it up from outside the car - you have to be inside and pulling on the handle..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

tonigmr2

After 20 minutes fighting with it that's exactly what we did, both got in and pulled it from the inside.  s:) :) s:)  

I'd have never done it on my own though, needed husbands brute force...
T

filcee

Quote from: "tonigmr2"I couldn't believe how difficult it was.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    I am hoping 24 hours up will stretch it out a bit...will have a look over some hood cleaner too.
Park it in the sun while you're at work - that should sort it out (always works for me  :-) :-) :-)  )
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Sorry to just blatantly butt in here (as a newbie around here). Toni, it's Paul T(sharpfish) from imoc/MK1 SC owner (the guy who traded MK1 space saver wheel+cover with you for BGB set? Think we met at some MK1 stand once or twice too).

Anyway i've been looking at possible future cars and want to stay mid engined if poss, and was like you a mk1 zealot, but the more I read about the MK3 (and the more I ignore the stock styling and think about how Toyota have given the owner the power to mod the hell out of the thing looks wise with the bolt off panels; also good for rust issues in the future compared to the welded on stuff on the mk1) the more I can see it as a serious companion to the mk1 Supercharger I have. It's lighter, handles better, and could eventually turbo/2zz it for more speed than my SC... so what's to loose?

So, my point is - how do you feel it compares to your mk1s for driver appeal,   handling and sports-car-feel. Does it really feel like an improved Mk1 with a different body shape + modern build quality?

I'm not a fan of convertibles as they make me look like i'm posing but I can appreciate some soft top action now and then, however with the hardtop in place and a more agressive kit (nothing too ugly) and a turbo I can see it being a really special car. Do you think I would be pleasently suprised coming from a MK1 SC (+big pulley and lowered suspension etc).

The mk1 I love of course, but as you may have seen on my imoc posts, the rust is becomming a pain and I prob will repair it but I still want a future "project" car that's worth sinking cash into (won't disintegrate cos of the creeping menace) and after pretty much ruling out the S2000 (not a massive fan of the looks nor lack of MR layout) and the VX220 Turbo (maybe one day when I have enough cash to use it more as a toy and can put up with it's raw edge) that pretty much leaves the MK3 as the only viable mid-engined 2-seater with good build quality (please no-one mention an MGF... I wouldn't p*ss on one if it was on fire, and from what I hear that is quite likely!)  s;) ;) s;)

Any info from the perspective of a fellow MK1 nut going to a MK3 would be great.

Also, I have to ask what drove you to get a mk2? Were you after the brilliant value for money turbo performance? and how do you rate it in your vast collection of MR2s now you also own a mk3? I'm sure the last time I was active around mr2 stuff (mainly the MR2-SC list) you weren't into mk2s (I know I wasn't and i'm still not, but sorry if i'm putting words into your mouth it may have been Lauren who said it)  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Oh and this whole "Sable" thing... is it really that good that it puts the other colours in the shade? I was thinking of the lagoon blue (or a darker colour anyway) for me being a bloke... and that grey seems to fit the bill too.

If I added a body kit in future is "Sable" going to be possibly the most expensive paint to buy and hardest to apply (is it a pearl/mica etc?)

Obviously that is addressed to all mk3 owners if anyone can help.  s:) :) s:)

thanks

rtbiscuit

paint wise i have resprayed in the 8M6 blue, and had no problems, just make sure you get it from paints4u.co.uk
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Tags: