HID conversion

Started by damonlaw88, May 11, 2007, 01:01

Anonymous

Quote from: "damonlaw88"If you don't like it don't read my post then.

If you don't like the opinions, then don't post in the first place. And no, this is not a free forum, nor does it entitle you to free speech or any of that rubbish: This is a paid-for-by-donation forum run by an elected few on behalf of it's members who make the rules for everyone else to follow, and if you don't like that then feel free to post somewhere else. We promise not to stop you.

And as for you being right: Considering both myself and Kanujunkie have given you quotes from the DfT (y'know, the people that really decide if something is illegal or not), then how you can say you know your setup is fine is beyond me.

firepower

i dont wish to be drawn in to a fight with anyone and will state that this is only my opinion and people may agree or disagree with it and i will not be offended but if the hid lights are those intense bluish/white lights used on vehicles such as new bmw's , audi's etc  i hate them and most people i have driven with have the same opinion , they are a fantastic light for the car they are fitted to providing great visibility but for oncoming cars the light is to intense and blinds the driver. i do not think they can be set up to prevent this as even on new bmw's and audi's which are fitted with these lights from new cause the same problem to oncoming vehicles
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Beowulf

Sorry, but I agree with most of the comments. I seriously hate it when cars fitted (even legitimately) with these lights come towards me or are behind me and would never consider fitting them myself. Even badly adjusted halogens cause me to squint and/or adjust my rear view mirror. In fact (as per Highway Code) in street lit areas I tend to drive with sidelights only as I think its much safer. When being dazzled by a car coming towards me it is almost impossible to see what is immediately behind the vehicle. A child could run out and the first thing you would know about it is when you hit them. Dont like them.  s:( :( s:(
Entropy always increces.

2001 red 46K stock (apart from de-badging on my rear (ooh err)) never had a problem in 5 years!  (touches wood quickly)

Anonymous

A colleague of mine retrofitted aftermarket HIDs to his Celica. IIRC they were not the ultra white/blue ones (around 4k).
Anyway he followed me home and I had no more problem with his lights than any other.
That said I too have been blinded at night by these High Intensity lights, especially when mounted on high vehicles.

It's a massive legal and moral (in terms of consideration for others) minefield that I decided not to go down despite the obvious benefits for the driver.

The S2k has them as standard. Just hope they wont be as bad as some of the aftermarket jobbies in terms of glare (they are a very low kelvin).

damonlaw88

No need to cancel. I'll leave myself.
THe first post I made before this one was simply asking a simple question and the guy who is a mod also gave negative feedback. Said something about using search which i never knew.
I'll like my account to be deleted thanks.
Damon
2004 Black MR2 Roadster - 17" Advans RG White - Tein S Tech Springs - Trials Front bumper and Side skirts - Custom Black Headlight - Hardtop - GReddy Pillar Pod - Defi Oil Temp - Defi Oil Pressure - Defi control Link - Alpine CVA1004R - Centurion Multiregion DVD player - Acoustics Solution custom sub box - Alpine 10" type S - Alpine sat nav - Red caliper - CHE Manifold

Anonymous

WOW! lots been said here since i last looked in!

Not to cause an argument, but i think damonlaw88 intentions have not been bad natured just took in the wrong manner, its his car, its his risk, just like folk with tinted windows, just like folk with downpipes on the twos when they clearly wont pass emmisions and so on.....

Lets not judge, just read if you dont agree dont post! ya know   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "bossman23780"WOW! lots been said here since i last looked in!

Not to cause an argument, but i think damonlaw88 intentions have not been bad natured just took in the wrong manner, its his car, its his risk, just like folk with tinted windows, just like folk with downpipes on the twos when they clearly wont pass emmisions and so on.....

Lets not judge, just read if you dont agree dont post! you know   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yes, but tinted windows, downpipes etc don't effect the safety of other drivers.
Peronally I've tried not to judge him - who am I to stop him.;but it's worth pointing out the legal aspects of the issue not just for Damon but for others who may search when they are contemplating an HID kit.

I'd agree with you though things have got a bit abusive which isn't really in the spirit of things for the Forum.

Anonymous

well! depends on your stance really!

Some folk will argue tinted windows reduce visibility, which may lead to an accident! then with the downpipe your willingly polluting the enviroment, going beyond whats deemed resonable by law, causing a health issue to other folk?!:roll:

markiii

true, but then by enlarge people have stated their reasonable opinions and backed it with the legal situation.

by all means do stupid things, but if you ask for an opinion be prepared for ones you don't like as well as ones you do
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Fair point mark!

But although i know its an open forum, which will get peeps views whatever anyone tends to post, in fairness to this thread he never asks for an opinion, just infomation.

Anonymous

Simple really, think of it this way, would you want someone with his attitude driving anywhere near you or your loved ones?
I certainly would not, he knows his lights are illegal, he has said so himself, which just makes his sod the rest of you attitude even worse.
Everyone one of us is capable of an error of judgement which could lead to an accident.
Some people however by their attitude, are far more likely to cause one.

Anonymous

Quote from: "bossman23780"Fair point mark!

But although i know its an open forum, which will get peeps views whatever anyone tends to post, in fairness to this thread he never asks for an opinion, just infomation.

He also admits he knows his set up isn't legal, just that he thinks its fine.

That is unjustifiable.

Anonymous

but then i go back to what i said before, whats legal is legal! and vise-versa! Law is the law, is it ok to break one law and not another? is it wrong of him to have a illegal HID conversion and a clean legal car yet someone else to have a legal light setup but an illegal pollutant car?

Anonymous

Not just his car set up, as i said, its his attitude.

Anonymous

I see your point too!   s:) :) s:)

ChrisGB

Hmm...

Well firstly, it is the VIEW of the dep't that the fitting of aftermarket HID kits is illegal. Nothing confirms this and there is still no law covering this. If the dep't stated that it was illegal to fit them, then this would be clear cut. However, it is not the dep't job or remit to create the legislation, so it is still a legal grey area. OF course, your insurance could wriggle out of a claim unless they were informed of the modification.

Secondly, in some reflector or projector assemblies, the kits will produce a nice tightly defined pattern with acceptable off axis output. In the '2 specifically, this will make for a reasonable setup if the kit works with the projector as we virtually have no need to load compensate.

Thirdly, the same furore kicked off concerning dazzle from excess brightness when halogen bulbs were introduced, but we all drive with them now.

IMO, a decently upgraded set of halogens (say Osram Silverstar dipped beams) correctly adjusted produces an adequate amount of light. I have to say that so far, I have yet to see a HID conversion that provided a decently even coverage. Those I have seen create hot spots in the illumination field that are so bright that they bleach the drivers vision of the view further away from the car.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

uktotty

Posted on a HID website

300% brighter than the average equivalent 60 watt halogen lighting
Road Legal !!
Draws only 35watts (50 W for from the vehicle's electrical / charging system compared to 55 / 60 watts for halogen systems

WE OFFER DUAL BEAM H4 fitment (i.e. Xenon lighting for both high and low beams).Most H4 HID kits only offer single beam , which are NOT ROAD LEGAL .

Quote<there is a lot of misinformation regarding the legality of HID systems fitted to cars without headlamp power wash and rear axle self levelling ...these are only an E.U. legal requirement on Xenon systems fitted to NEW cars AT THE FACTORY PRODUCTION STAGE .
HID systems fitted as aftermarket accessory DO NOT REQUIRE the car to have power wash or self levelling ; even the DOT get this wrong sometimes .... our expensive lawyers did not !>

Not sure if this is the last word but its in black and white

markiii

like they would say anything else
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Unfortunately my eyes seem to be more susceptible to light (think I might really be a Gremlin). That combined with a lower sports type car means that any brighter lights blind me.  So for me it's less a legal issue, more my own safety on the road.

However if I met someone coming the other way with illegal lights, got blinded and had a head on, there is not much I could do. But I am sure that the insurance companies and police would have a field day with the other party.

My thoughts (ouch that really hurt that much thinking) on the subject  s:) :) s:)

Tags: