Air-con: How useful in the '2??

Started by andywood, May 14, 2007, 19:19

andywood

OK, i know that air-con is great, cool in the heat, demisting in the winter/wet etc...
But having only had my '2 since January (it hasn't got air-con btw) and with it being my first rag-top and not having owned for a winter yet, I was just wondering on peoples opinions on the need for air-con in a rag-top.

When buying I wasn't too fussed about it as I plan to have the roof down all summer   s8) 8) s8)   and it will be garaged overnight in the winter so I am hoping that misting will not be a problem.

What are peoples experiences and thoughts??
Has anybody had a '2 with and without and can do a direct comparison?

(BTW - I am not regretting not getting air-con, but it came up in conversation today with a mx5 owner at work!)

Cheers

Andy
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

broudie

You'll need it in the rain definitely.

Anonymous

Had it in my first roadster, dont have it on this one. Never used it when i had it and although i would take it for free, i woudnt pay a penny for it.

Anonymous

I wished I'd got it in my old '2. I always said you didn't need it in a convertible, but it would have been lovely on those stupidly hot days we get two of every year.

Anonymous

Quote from: "nelix"although i would take it for free, i woudnt pay a penny for it.

Typical Scot  s;) ;) s;)   s;) ;) s;)   s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"I wished I'd got it in my old '2. I always said you didn't need it in a convertible, but it would have been lovely on those stupidly hot days we get two of every year.

Move up here, we dont get any  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"
Quote from: "nelix"although i would take it for free, i woudnt pay a penny for it.

Typical Scot  s;) ;) s;)   s;) ;) s;)   s;) ;) s;)

Just dont think its needed  s:) :) s:)   And i like being mean, it suits me, leaves me money for digital cameras for taking pics of creamy faces  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

andywood

The only downside that I thought of was resale - lots of people only consider cars with a/c these days, but then again a lot of soft-top buyers wouldn't be too fussed (based on the fact that i wasn't   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Cheers for the comments guys, I am feeling better already about the lack of air-con kit on my car, will just have to sweat out those 2 days a year when it is scorchio!

andywood

...it is also more weight on the car and is an additional power load on the engine - combined these would just make the car sooooooo much slower   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

spit

Aircon is very useful over the winter months for a speedy clearing of the windows, and just great in the Summer when the sun comes shining through and things can get a bit sticky.

As a former Scot, I don't know if I'd pay the extra either (disclaimer: although the two aren't necessarily related) ... but then it comes as standard on the MR-S  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

But you're right andy, its less of a resale downside on the softies.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

enid_b

i love it.  its a bit like the ABS and airbags.

i dont use them, but its nice to know they are they just in case.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

markiii

wouldn't be without it
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I find sucking 5 extra strong mints and getting Donna to punch me in the stomach, works perfectly well for clearing the screen, i also get two uses from the mints which makes them an excellent purchase  s:D :D s:D

markiii

brave man, Donna strikes me a s a girl who could rupture something  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "nelix"I find sucking 5 extra strong mints and getting Donna to punch me in the stomach, works perfectly well for clearing the screen, i also get two uses from the mints which makes them an excellent purchase  s:D :D s:D

Shouldnt this mod feature in you signature with the rest?!   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"brave man, Donna strikes me a s a girl who could rupture something  :-) :-) :-)

Five mints too, you soft southerners would struggle with two  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Peeps, is air-con an optional item for the 2 in UK?

I always thought it is a standard item? I can't imagine going without aircon in Malaysia.

Anonymous

Quote from: "simontan75"Peeps, is air-con an optional item for the 2 in UK?

I always thought it is a standard item? I can't imagine going without aircon in Malaysia.

Cant you get extra stong mints Simon?

markiii

optional though free if you buy the hardtop

kanujunkie

no its optional

personally i love it when it gets too hot on a summers day, 5mins with the hood up and it cools you down nicely
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

I think driving with the top down in the 2 is probably not something we do often locally considering it's always hot and humid here, and the pollution is really bad.

The only times I had the top down was probably during the evenings when the air gets cooler and the traffic get scarce. To us, having air-con is imperative, and perhaps a couple of spare T-shirts behind the chubby if I drive topless on a hot day.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Chris_h

But think of the weight......

I have had two, both w/out a/c, but given the choice I would have had it - not a deal breaker though, but nice to have especially for that very short journey in the summer when I can't be bothered lowering the roof or a baking hot day in a jam.

I don't undestand why, but this 2 hasn't had the winter demisting issues that some cars have. It seems that when a car is fitted with a/c and you try to demist with a/c off, it is really bad - is this in some way connected to the fact the car has a/c? (that probably didn't make much sense)

In the tin top, I wouldn't be without it.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

stv2100

Excellent for waking you up on the way to work in the morning after a late night. Also it must be hellish trying to demist the screen without it.Definitely as much as a necessity as the hardtop is in winter.

I wouldn't be without it now.
Silver 00, Hardtop, corky\'s breast plate, BC Coilovers, FTSB

northernalex

Aircon is for wimps (or people who live in hot countries).

Simple, get cloth seats and no aircon and then you wont feel hot and sticky.  Saves money on two fronts and you wont have to worry about super looking after your leather.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

ChrisGB

I would not be without it. Winter demisting is a matter of a few seconds, but if you don't run it, demisting is still OK. Where it is really good IMO is on those days where it is too hot for going with the roof down in traffic or where sunburn is going to be an issue so the top is up.

The only slight downsides are increased weight and increased maintenance. Well worth it if you can, but not essential as you can live without it.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: