18's on a 2???

Started by Anonymous, November 24, 2003, 13:17

Anonymous

What with all the talk about wheels just lately, I've decided to invest in a new set, especially as I need new tyres anyhow.

I would love a set of 18's. Does anyone know if 18's will fit straight onto the MR2 or is this going to mean body work?

If 18's are possible, would I still be able to lower my car?

And secondly, has anyone got any wheel recommendations?? I quite like multi-spokes, but shopping for wheels is a nightmare! There's loads to choose from!!! My only criteria are that the have to be polished silver...

I need advice!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Thanks.

Steve.

Slacey

I'll jump in before the performance guys let rip   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
18's will fit without problems - make sure the offset is as near stock as possible, or you will get rubbing problems as I have   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
I'm not sure about the lowering - 17's will lower OK, I'd do a bit of
research first with 18's

You will lose some acceleration - I couldn't really notice the difference, one of the guys at North Weald reckoned mine was actually quicker than stock!

As for the style, my preference is for multi-spoke, I think they suit the car, buts it's very much a personal choice.

One thing though, even having 17's myself I think they might look a little bit too big  - worth getting someone to Photoshop them first?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

mph

I know I shouldn't and this is posted in Appearance, but still...

18s will KILL your performance. Not only that, if you try and keep the same rolling radius (which will be very tricky) you're looking at 35 profile tyres, which are v. expensive and bit of a harsh ride for the non-purist. More likely, you'll have to find 40 profile which means a larger rolling radius - meaning even less performance and will make further lowering more tricky (though not impossible).

A far better compromise would be to fit 17s and lower with these to achieve your desired appearance. There's a set or two already for sale on the board, and you'll pay much less than 18s. I've run 17s lowered and they do look nice.

HTH!
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

mph

Quote from: "Slacey"I'll jump in before the performance guys let rip   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
I guess that'd be me then  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yep, from what I've heard, 18s will fit no problem as you as you don't go over-board on your rolling radius, and should be able to fit the lowering springs, with probably only occasional rubbing.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

markiii

Well most of it's all ready been said but here goes.

Will they fit?

Yes, if you stick to max of 7" width (especially at the front, you may get away with 7.5 at the rear but I'm speculating) and keep the offset as close to 45mm as possible. This assumes you keep the rolling radius as close to stock as possible. see  

m htttp://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html m

for details.

you will be driving on rubber bands though 35 - 30 profile will be needed to keep within the rolling radius. These will be VERY expensive and for tis reason alone I wouldn't go above 17".

Can you lower it?

maybe, the TTE and Eibach springs lower it by 30mm, I don't know anyone whos dropped that low with bigger wheels, so I can't say for definate but I reckon you'll rub. (sean can tell you all abou what happens then  :-) :-) :-) ) My TRD springs (MPH and I have the same)  lower 20mm which I know you can get away with with 17" without rubbing, if you follow point 1 ref rolling radius you'll probably get away with 18" as well.

Reccomendations?

Get the LIGHTEST you can, I realise your after an appearance mod but bigger wheels usually means heavier, and since this is unsprung weight it's VERY important. It will affect your handling/acceleration so if your going to do it go as light weight as possible. Speedline and OZ make some reasonable light wheels. steer clear of MOMO and Mille Migilia (Sorry Sean) as they are some of the heaviest wheels around especially MOMO.

Should you decide on 17", I have some very nice Speedline Torini's with tyres I want sell, so may be worth checking out the For sale section  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Quote from: "markiii"(sean can tell you all abou what happens then  :-) :-) :-) )
Yeah... great big holes in the plastic wheel arch liners   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

OZ Superleggra's are the lightest wheels IIRC.

TBH i always wanted 18's on my old Astra, only ever got 17's, i am a big fan of big wheels, BUT TBH i think 17's even look a little too big.

I think i may do summit like the Elise, have 16's on front and 17's on back.

markiii

I think 16" up front 17" at teh rear would look the best. but I wish you look finding suitable wheels that are available in both sizes with teh correct offsets e.t.c.

I tried and gave up.

Superleggeras are some of teh lightest but you may struggle with the offset.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

OZ only ever usde to make 38mm offset, BUT they have now started making 42mm IIRC.

They are special order i think though.

Getting the wheels will be easy but mor expensiveas can't use a "package" jus buy two at a time.

What was the problem you faced mate?

I mean an example - OZ Chrono Evolutions, are available in both and as single wheels (for spares etc).

Or am i being daft?

markiii

being daft, the packages are from the dealers rather than manufaturers.

have a word with demon I'm sure they'l make a package up.

if teh teh superleggera is available in the 42mm offset then that would be what I'd go for

Anonymous

When i was looking at wheels about 6 months ago, demon said they could supply me 17" OZ Chrono's with a 42 offset no problems at all (and i recon they would look the nuts on the '2!).

markiii

I have a pic somewhere and they do, however you can't if I remember get that offset in 16" for the front.

Anonymous

I know mate, i had them on the Astra and they are SO nice, hence me mentioning them.  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Mine were 42mm on the Astra   s:) :) s:)

markiii

but were they a 4x100 PCD?

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Reccomendations?

Get the LIGHTEST you can, I realise your after an appearance mod but bigger wheels usually means heavier, and since this is unsprung weight it's VERY important. It will affect your handling/acceleration so if your going to do it go as light weight as possible. Speedline and OZ make some reasonable light wheels. steer clear of MOMO and Mille Migilia (Sorry Sean) as they are some of the heaviest wheels around especially MOMO.

Well i went for appearance over performance & i am very happy with the 4 x 1 ton 17" Momo wheels i have fitted    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

As for the handling, did tram line a bit to start with but now i have found the tyre pressures that work for me & my set-up, i have no complaints.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"but were they a 4x100 PCD?

They were multi PCD as they were OZ Chrono Evolutions ie they had LOTS of little holes around the middle (Not meant to sound patronising, just wanting to make sure i understood you right lol)

Anonymous

And yeah 4x100 was one of the ones included as my Astra was a 4 stud with a PCD of you guessed it lol 4x100

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your advice,

I think its safe to say 18's are going to be out of the question now, considerable loss of performance, running costs and then there's the whole weight thing!

I do like those OZ Superleggera in a 17".

Does anyone know that 'yankie' website where you can select your wheels and car and they show you what they will look like? Alloy wheel selector I think you would class it as.

Thanks.

Steve

markiii

Anonymous

THANX Markiii !!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Sam

Quote from: "markiii"Can you lower it?

maybe, the TTE and Eibach springs lower it by 30mm, I don't know anyone whos dropped that low with bigger wheels, so I can't say for definate but I reckon you'll rub. (sean can tell you all abou what happens then  :-) :-) :-) ) My TRD springs (MPH and I have the same)  lower 20mm which I know you can get away with with 17" without rubbing, if you follow point 1 ref rolling radius you'll probably get away with 18" as well.

I have been running TTE springs and TTE 17" (Front 205x40x17" / Rear 225x35x17") wheels and they DO rub, so I would go for 20mm max lowering.

(I am thinking of changing suspension soon because of this - will probably go for Tein or HKS)
Sam

[size=75]\'01 Black Roadster
Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Sam"(I am thinking of changing suspension soon because of this - will probably go for Tein or HKS)

http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1614 - I understand they're only about one person away from making 10 orders, which is an extra 5% off; I know Leda stuff isn't cheap, but if you're considering Tein in future anyway, then this price will never be repeated.

Sam

Thanks Phil, I'll have a look into those - altho to be honest dont know if I'll be making a decision quick enough to catch the Group Buy.
Sam

[size=75]\'01 Black Roadster
Leda Adjustable Struts/Eibach Springs/TTE Stabilizer Bars/TRD Bracing/TTE 17" 9-Spokes/Toda Flywheel/Unichip/TTE Exhaust/TTE Front Bumper/TRD Quickshift[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "Sam"
Quote from: "markiii"Can you lower it?

I have been running TTE springs and TTE 17" (Front 205x40x17" / Rear 225x35x17") wheels and they DO rub, so I would go for 20mm max lowering.

(I am thinking of changing suspension soon because of this - will probably go for Tein or HKS)

Bear in mind that the TTE wheels are 7.5" wide whereas most people with 17" go for 7".

I'll post a scan of the TTE brochure later.

Tags: