Replacement Steering Wheel?

Started by Anonymous, May 28, 2007, 20:38

Anonymous

Hi,

Just joined the forum - I'm looking to buy in the next couple of weeks. Being a bit of a lanky git (6'6") I find the MR2 a tight fit (more room than a Boxster/S2000/VX220/MX5 though).

I'm considering fitting a smaller after market steering wheel to get a bit for room for my knees. Has anyone here changed their wheel? As there are no audio/cruise controls on the wheel I assume it would be a very simple swap - just need one with a horn switch. I'm thinking of something like the momo wheel in my old VX220 (but I'm not too worried about having an airbag). Any ideas?

Cheers
Chris

Anonymous

Hi and welcome!  s:) :) s:)  

If thats youre car history then im impressed   s8) 8) s8)  youve saved the best till last   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Im sure someone can advice you on the steering wheel front on here, in fact i would like to know as well! but im small! im only 6'2"!

Anonymous

No, not my car history I'm afraid.  Did have a VX220 (well my girlfriend did), and a mate has a S2k which I get to play in occasionally (same guy previously had a mk3 MR2). I've only test driven / sat in the others. Had a mk1 MR2 a few years ago - ace fun but had a terminal case of tin worm. Just sold my '93 NSX - I want something a bit more everyday use-able, and that may cost less that the forth bridge to maintain...

enid_b

id like to meet your girlfriend.

mmm girls who love cars. your a luckyguy

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Quote from: "enid_b"id like to meet your girlfriend.

mmm girls who love cars. your a luckyguy

E

E, you have to meet my wife Donna, our first date she was late because she was watching the footie world cup, ordered a pint, asked me if i had a motorbike and said she loved F1.

I proposed  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

enid_b

good work nelix.

sadly if she is now your wife, then i have no chance.

lol, im actually loving the fact that mrs e is a girly girl, the last one was a bit tom boy ish to say the least.

open the floodgates for abuse now i bet.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

rtbiscuit

you guys should just be happy you have one.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

after being out of a long term relationship for a while you come to realise how much you miss them, makes me laugh, i have mates telling me they wish they were single, then as soon as they are they wish they were back in a relationship.

s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  flings are fun, but companyship is better
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

The girlfriend is the one who is a bit against getting an MR2 - no offence guys, but she thinks it's a bit girly, and wants me to get a VX220 turbo. Guess I got one of the tom boy ish ones   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I still remember how kit car the VX was and as for Vaux dealers.., well anyone who complains about MrT has not had to deal with that shower of sh*te recently.

Anyway, back to my steering wheel, someone here must have fitted an after market wheel?

Anonymous

Sorry   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
I did a quick search and didn't hit any of the links you've provided - they weren't in the first couple of pages of the results; obviously I should have done a better search... My bad.

Anonymous

I've just read those links - all good info (especially the dummy resistor for the airbag wiring), but the only one that had pics now has broken links.., and said that the wheel was the same diameter as stock (albeit with a flat bottom).

Anyone got replacement steering wheel pics they could share? Would be nice to see any prospective choice actually in an MR2 to confirm it sort of 'matches' the rest of the car.

Where would be the best place to source TRD wheel? Local Toyota dealer, or somewhere else better/cheaper?

SimonC_Here

Pic from Sean's old car.

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5923&highlight=steering+wheel

Or you could just PM Dan (Ekona) and see if he'll sort out his website for the pics!

Simon

Anonymous

Sorry, I deleted those pics to free up some space on my webserver: When I get home tonight I'll put them back up for you. The wheel was identical in size to stock, yet the flat-bottom meant it looked and felt smaller and it's a million times better than the stock one. Markiii here has an Isotta Villelunga (sp?) and it's the best 3rd party one I've seen in a 2' yet.

Anonymous

My setup:
-Steering wheel: MOMO Pilota 2
-Hub: NRG short hub
-Extra: NRG Quick Release

s;) ;) s;)

Ben

Anonymous

My old pics:

That's the Momo Trek alcantara wheel with the Momo boss adaptor.

Anonymous

Both are the dogs licky bits guys  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

I've got a Momo Tuner on mine in 320mm diamater. It's smaller than stock and great to hold but I've no pics sorry  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  It does give you extra knee room though which was one of the reasons for fitting it  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveM"I've got a Momo Tuner on mine in 320mm diamater. It's smaller than stock and great to hold but I've no pics sorry  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  It does give you extra knee room though which was one of the reasons for fitting it  s:) :) s:)

BTW Dave from Prolex (who are an affiliate on here) can get you a TRD wheel otherwise if it's Momo/Sparco/OMP etc someone like Demon Tweeks at Wrexham will always have a good choice. HTH.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveM"I've got a Momo Tuner on mine in 320mm diamater. It's smaller than stock and great to hold but I've no pics sorry  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  It does give you extra knee room though which was one of the reasons for fitting it  s:) :) s:)

Steve! what effect did that have on the steering and handling and such form getting the smaller wheel?

Anonymous

I guess it's a very personal thing but I love it and IMO it only improves the steering feel and in fact the whole driving experience. Having said that I'm used to cars with smaller wheels, before the MR I'd had two Westfields and a VX220 so the standard wheel felt huge.

markiii

Isotta Valleunga

Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

My spelling was close then  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Cheers people, they all look good - especially the last one.

What boss are you using with the Isotta? I don't think I've any need for quick release; it's handy on my Atom to stop it getting nicked (security is a bit tricky with no doors...), but may be overkill on a road car.

Just need to buy the car to fit it to now. I'm thinking post '03, sable grey, red leather, a/c and hardtop. Maybe a TTET once I'm used to the car   s8) 8) s8)

markiii

Takakira boss

retains the indicator self cancel, and supposedly cures teh airbag warning light,

the latter it does very badly
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Sorry for all the questions, and I'm sure I could find out for myself if I searched more.., but do you know of any UK vendors, or will I need to import a Takakira boss.

Tags: