Painted hubs anyone?

Started by Anonymous, June 10, 2003, 17:20

Anonymous

Has anyone out there painted their disc HUBS with caliper paint (or Hammerite!)? If so, are there any pictures out there? And what does it look like?

If not, any opinions on this? Would go at least some way to stop some of that rust that keeps coming through. My warranty is up now and I don't want to have to PAY for the dics this time round!!! Onoy just got them done........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Slacey

I had my discs changed about a month ago and noticed that they did look like they had been treated with something, and so far, so good - not a spot of rust. Painting the hubs is feasible, someone over at Spyderchat did it a while back and it looked OK - I think I would probably consider it if i were in your out-of-warranty position and they went bad again.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

cant see anything be wrong with it just be carefull not to get drips on the disc   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Hmmmmmm.......I think I might see how they go. I was thinking cosmetically as well, but now I have thought about it for a bit, I am not so sure now........

Gonna have to do those calipers though.....  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tem

Mine are painted...they do look a lot better that way. Only downside is that I have to redo them after every trackday...so use some high temp paint, if you don't wanna go through that hassle.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Cheers Tem. I was planning on using caliper paint anyway, if I can find any that are close to Laggon Blue that is. not much colour range in most that I have seen............

Anonymous

would it not look better painting them sliver like the disc? i know you can get silver caliper paint.

Darth Paul

Halfords do blue.

DP

Anonymous

Quotewould it not look better painting them sliver like the disc? i know you can get silver caliper paint.

I never thought of that!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

QuoteHalfords do blue

Caliper paint? Do they? I haven't seen it! What make?

Darth Paul

Quote from: "John Woodward"
Quotewould it not look better painting them sliver like the disc? i know you can get silver caliper paint.

I never thought of that!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

QuoteHalfords do blue

Caliper paint? Do they? I haven't seen it! What make?

Err, Halfords.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  It's the brush on type.

Anonymous

Oh right! Fair enough. Perhaps it was cos I was looking for a brand name or something that I missed that one! DUH!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Cheers. Will look into that one. Ta!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I would suggest you look at what it looks like on someone elses car first... ive seen blue caliper paint before and.... *shudder*... it was not nice... fine if you want to hang around your local comet carpark with the nova croud though!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

EDIT: This is what the blue would look like... (sorry, not a great photo... not mine)

m http://speedbump18.tripod.com/images/painted1.jpg m

m http://speedbump18.tripod.com/images/finished1.jpg m

m http://speedbump18.tripod.com/images/finished_5.jpg m

Im just not sure it would look good on the discs - just my opinion.   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

WTF?

Slacey

If you right click on the Tripod logo and select properties, you can copy the web address and paste it into your browser to see the pics.... not sure why it's doing that though   s:? :? s:?  Kris?

Anonymous

strange - on mine it shows the photos... i will put the links in their instead - thanks!   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Hmmmmmm....yeah, it does look pretty minging to be honest, but then its not the bext shade of blue either. I really wanted one that was a bit more discrete than that to be honest. More the Lagoon Blue really, but I might give them a miss now. Unless I can paint then silver.

It's just that I am a bit dissapointed that the calipers look so, well, pants compared to the new discs and wheels I have. They aren't THAT bad, but they aren't great either.....

Anonymous

I say do em silver... then let me know what it looks like and i might do mine!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"strange - on mine it shows the photos... i will put the links in their instead - thanks!   s:) :) s:)

I still get "hosted by" logos.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"
Quote from: "krisclarkuk"strange - on mine it shows the photos... i will put the links in their instead - thanks!   s:) :) s:)

I still get "hosted by" logos.

CTRL + F5 (come on craigy boy you know that one!)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quotesay do em silver... then let me know what it looks like and i might do mine!  

I might! Will take a while for me to get round to it though as I am writing a thesis at the moment and needs to be submitted in August and lets just say I am a little behind.......I blame this site!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Kirs those phot's where of calipers painted in blue not teh Hubs   s:? :? s:?  

just making sure that every1 know's thast all i though we whre talking about the hubs being painted !   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Folitec's Blue is much ligther than that and you can buy a metalic colour now as well! they do look nice but im not to sure about painting the hubs tho!!!!!

How would you remove the rust any wayz????

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"Kirs those phot's where of calipers painted in blue not teh Hubs   s:? :? s:?  

just making sure that every1 know's thast all i though we whre talking about the hubs being painted !   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Folitec's Blue is much ligther than that and you can buy a metalic colour now as well! they do look nice but im not to sure about painting the hubs tho!!!!!

How would you remove the rust any wayz????

yeah i did know, but could not find anyone else that had painted their discs!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Im not that much of a muppet... not far off but....!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

i know i was just cheacking ma son   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

the only problem i can see painting the hubs is that it may stick to the wheels ?? Im not to sure tho as heat and all, altho it is heat resistant paint but nothing dosent expand with heat!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

My dealer told me yesterday that although MrT was allowing disks to be replaced under warranty that they were also putting a limit on the number of sets that the dealer could replace. the b**tards!! They will only pay for half the parts on mine because they say there is no written proof that the problem was reported last November when the alloys were changed (warranty expired 11th April).

I now have to decide whether to pay the extra £154 (the dealer will fit them for free) to improve the looks of the car or accept the dealers advice and have the hubs painted with heat-resistant exhaust paint. Will probably do the latter, when I get round to it.

The car was parked up at the office for only 9 hours yesterday and the surface of all the disks were covered in rust spots.

Slacey

Quote from: "Roger H"My dealer told me yesterday that although MrT was allowing disks to be replaced under warranty that they were also putting a limit on the number of sets that the dealer could replace. the b**tards!! They will only pay for half the parts on mine because they say there is no written proof that the problem was reported last November when the alloys were changed (warranty expired 11th April).

Sounds like a bit of a cop out to me, but I assume you are still dealing with William A Lewis in which case they pride themselves on customer service so I can't see why they would bulls*it you. Is it worth anyone else asking their dealers if this is true?

Tags: