Painted hubs anyone?

Started by Anonymous, June 10, 2003, 17:20

Tem

Uhm...yeah...should've mention I painted mine with silver, just like my calipers. They just look clean and new...and no sign of rust. Personally I don't like even the calipers that are painted with body color, but whatever turns you on  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

QuoteUhm...yeah...should've mention I painted mine with silver, just like my calipers. They just look clean and new...and no sign of rust. Personally I don't like even the calipers that are painted with body color, but whatever turns you on

Tem, I agree. I don't normally like painted calipers, but I thought it might have to be a last resort to stop the rust coming back to be honest. I also didn't realise you could get Silver. Now I know that, I think I might have to go that route cos at least it won't LOOK like they have been painted.

Thanks for that Tem.

As an aside, which caliper paint did you use?

Tem

Quote from: "John Woodward"As an aside, which caliper paint did you use?

It wasn't a dedicated caliper paint...just some cheapo paint I got from local store. The label said it can be painted on rust, which is what I did and seems to hold just fine. It was about £1.5 for a can that probably lasts for the rest of my life (if it didn't dry).

Anonymous

Hmmmm.....Ok. Fair enough. I was interested about the heat aspect of things. Hence people recommend caliper paint for both hubs and calipers cos of the excessive heat that most paints can't take. Interesting stuff that Tem. Ta!

Anonymous

Wouldn't you potentially have heat problems with that paint, in time?...

--H--

Darth Paul

This is what the calipers look like painted silver. You can also see the centre J-spec wheel cap badge (dcox20's from SC – now Adam's).
Also got one of  these on the steering wheel.

And my purty rear grille (to match the front), larger plate and red reflectors.

DP

Anonymous

COR!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Nice! I like that! Silver it is! What paint was it again? Or have you already said?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Darth Paul

Anonymous

Excellent! Thanks Darth!!!

Tem

Quote from: "Hardcore"Wouldn't you potentially have heat problems with that paint, in time?

Like I already said in my first post:  s;) ;) s;)
"Only downside is that I have to redo them after every trackday...so use some high temp paint, if you don't wanna go through that hassle."

The calipers are just fine after 2 years. And even the hub, but the small area of disc where the pads don't contact heats up too much on track and burns the paint off. I can't get the discs that hot in the streets, only on track.

Anonymous

QuoteLike I already said in my first post:  
"Only downside is that I have to redo them after every trackday...so use some high temp paint, if you don't wanna go through that hassle."

Sorry Tem. I didn't relate that to heat for some reason.....  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

No worries  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Darth,

Just bought red caliper paint from Halfords this very lunchtime.  Any tips on what to do/what not to do when painting?

How long should each wheel be left off, or is it safe enough to put each one back on (carefully!) after it's caliper has been painted?

OT but how did the small vertical grille under the MR2 badge come off?  Would not mind replacing that black plastic mesh to match the stuff I have just fitted to the louvres on the boot lid.

Anonymous

Leave the paint mixed so that it gose thicker and you can add the hardner at teh start and mix the lot up for all 4 wheels !

this means that when the last caliper is to be done the paint shiuld be thick but dosnet make it any harder to paint!

You can put the wheel stragth back on but i took the wheel of painted the claiper washed the wheel abd then put it back on (dry tho) and in that time it had become tacky just be carefull not to touch the rim on teh claiper as the paint is hard to get of   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

dancarbon

QuoteAnd my purty rear grille (to match the front), larger plate and red reflectors.

That grill looks pretty good Darth, are they home-made?

DC[/quote]
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

Saw the same mesh myself when buying the caliper paint earlier!  

Sheets of the stuff in Halfords for less than £20.  Does the rear existing plastic piece simply "snap" out?

Also, the paint I bought does not mention hardener or anything like that.  Does suggest leaving for a full24 hours to dry, but is all pre mixed and labelled caliper paint......

Tags: