Guide price for having a TRD Stage 1 kit painted?

Started by aaronjb, June 4, 2007, 12:19

aaronjb

Just wondering - has anyone on here had a quote (or had the work done, for that matter) to have a full TRD Stage 1 kit (front lip, rear lip, side skirts) painted (but not fitted)?

For that matter, what about the rear 'ducktail' spoiler - anyone had a price quoted for that?

Just wondering as a guide what it would cost, roughly  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

well if it helps

front bumper
rear bumper
ducktail spoiler
headlight casings

all in £400
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

i'll have a chat with the bloke round the corner if you like Aaron
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

Thanks Mark  s:) :) s:)

Quote from: "kanujunkie"i'll have a chat with the bloke round the corner if you like Aaron

Ta Stu - it's ok for the moment though, I was just trying to weigh up whether it was really worth buying all the gear to spray something up, or whether it would actually work out cheaper just to get it done..

At £400 to get it done, however, it still works out cheaper to buy all the gear by about £200..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

loadswine

I recently had front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts and rear spoiler done for £425.
I have thought about whether it is actually cheaper to get some equipment and go DIY, but having somewhere sensible to do the actual spraying is an issue for me. If you've got an appropriate space, then it might be an option.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

spit

Quote from: "loadswine"If you've got an appropriate space, then it might be an option.

...and you can hire yourself out to recoup your costs.   s8) 8) s8)
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

aaronjb

Quote from: "spit"
Quote from: "loadswine"If you've got an appropriate space, then it might be an option.

...and you can hire yourself out to recoup your costs.   s8) 8) s8)

The thought never crossed my mind  s;) ;) s;)

I have space to do kit parts like this easily enough (well, once I drag the Nissan out of the garage and get it so it'll roll around, at least  s:) :) s:) ), though a full car in-situ would be impossible at my place unless it was an original Mini  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

It's a skill I've always wanted to learn - and luckily I do know of someone who's brains I can pick (he restores classics, and having seen his work it's excellent) when & if I get stuck..

eBay spending spree it is, then!

philster_d

A late reply.

My kit was around 650 painted and fitted.

so about 350/400 I would think.

But you might find a better "cash" price by asking at the back door.   s:) :) s:)

rtbiscuit

yeah i was quoted £350 - £400

so bollocks to that. its still cheaper even after i will have sprayed them twice.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

aaronjb

Thanks folks  s:) :) s:)

Well so far I've bought.. a filter mask  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

But still on the list to get is:

Sander/Polisher
Sanding discs
G3 paste
Panel wipe
Masking tape
Lint free shop cloth
Plastic primer
Paint
Laquer
Thinners

Oh, and I think I'll get one of the Spraymate electric HVLP sprayers.

BTW, Rich - did you paint with 2K or Cellulose?

rtbiscuit

its the spray can custom colours they do,

Previous cars:

aaronjb

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Well that's 'an' answer  s;) ;) s;)

I imagine it's Cellulose anyway - seeing as 2K needs a proper respirator or extractor system.. and you're not dead from Iso poisoning   s:D :D s:D

loadswine

Aaron, you're not sitting there wearing that mask are you?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  No.. although it could come in handy next time I'm working at Mark's!  s;) ;) s;)

rtbiscuit

i wear a respirator when i spray anyway, but i think it is cellulose based paint, the laquer is 1k though.

and i have sprayed on occassions un respirated.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

mine is like a fighter pilot mask, with twin cans, but i lost one, so now it just has one and masking tape over the other hole  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

suppose its why i'm a bit dopey really.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

wow did you see that pink elephant   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Previous cars:

loadswine

Rich, that must mean you keep spraying in circles like a sycamore seed!
This thread should be renamed the Darth thread!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Rich - you bad man you, taking risks with your health!

Not that I can talk - the amount of crud I've inhaled over the years, and I don't mean on a recreational basis!

Anyway, thanks for that - I've just noticed that paints4u also do waterbased paints, so I've mailed them to see which they'd recommend with an HVLP spray gun.. I know a lot of manufacturers are starting to use waterbased, and it's generally less nasty than Cellulose - more expensive, though.

rtbiscuit

wish i'd saved on the paint and got you to do it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

my paint should arrive tomorrow, just need to go out and get some grey primer,

got the palstic stuff but just realised it is silver fleck, and i need a grey base coat, but the halfruads stuff is good.

hopefully start the respray tomorrow.

should be all done by the end of the weekend.

Previous cars:

aaronjb

Hey, you've no idea how bad I might be yet..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

rtbiscuit

if you have a problem i'm quiet happy to come and play with your equipment!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

spray equipment that is  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

i got myself a spray gun handle adapter for the rattle cans i use  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  not as good as a real setup, but it makes me feel better  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Previous cars:

aaronjb

It's been a long time since anyone has offered to play with my equipment!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Ahem.. must stay on topic or I'll have to moderate myself  s:? :? s:?

When I figure out what I'm doing you'll be more than welcome to pop over  s:) :) s:)

rtbiscuit

much appreciated, by then i should have mine sprayed, and fitted, so you will be able to show how i should have done it.

just got to make sure i get the colour right this time, and not to make the same laquering errors.

you got any tips for that one?

Previous cars:

rtbiscuit

well the 2nd spraying has begun, and in half an hour all items barring the ducktail (which i will hopefully collect on saturday) will be primed and base coated.

tomorrow i'm hoping to get the main colour on, and the weekend will bring the laquering.

so hopefully when the car returns on wednesday i can start the rebuild.  s8) 8) s8)    s:D :D s:D

Previous cars:

rtbiscuit

just put some colour on a primed test piece, and oh my god the colour is so much richer, and the deep blue matches perfectly.

paints4u you are wonderful and i want you babies.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Previous cars:

aaronjb

They are also extremely helpful if you mail them - I asked whether they'd recommend Cellulose or Water-based, and they pointed out that you can't get the colour in Cello, so it's 2K or water.. and even gave me helpful links to other products I'd need (like laquer, thinners)  s:) :) s:)

Tags: