Any second hand Turbo setups available for sale around Sept?

Started by Anonymous, June 8, 2007, 09:08

Anonymous

Hi folks,

I need/want more power!!!  s:( :( s:(  

The 2's great but needs more power.

Around September 2007 i will be in a better finacial position so i will be looking to purchase a Turbo set-up.

Anyone thinking of selling one around that time???

Secondly i'm told the best value for money set-up is the "C2" as it includes intercooler and ECU. Is that right? Any Idea on typical BHP??

Prob get corrected again for something on this thread  s:? :? s:?  

Cheers

Jamie

markiii

best bet is start the conversation from scratch

how much power do you think you need?
Is power or response more imprtant to you?
Are you a warranty or a hands on tinkerer type?
budget?

then we can start from there
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Hi Mark. Thanks for replying.

No warranty to worry about.

Not absolutley sure on the power, around the 250 BHP mark, although i appreciate this may well not be needed due to power/weight ratio?

I am reasonable with the spanners, and would enjoy taking part, but i'm not as good as some,going by some of the threads i've read on turbo instalation!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Would like better response and power, turbo lag used to irrate me on the Impreza's,but anti lag was not an option.

Available finances, Without wishing to be screamed at on this site,If i could get hold of one, is around £2500 unrealistic for a fitted secondhand turbo setup?

markiii

budget is possible, but it depends really on what is included in the 2nd hand kit, and what you may choose to add.

I'm fitting one for a member (I'll let him shout if he wants to) in teh next couple of months and the basic kit and fitting was looking at £2200, I reckon he's spent another £500 on the little bits though that make life easier, the stuff we have learnt the hardway can be improved on from teh factory.

so just to clarify, by warranty I was talking about the kit. TTE is great because if there is an issue you always have backup covered in teh price.

however thats is £1500 over your budget

everything else going to require some basic fettling on your part, obviously we are all here to provide help, but please don't make teh mistake of thiking that any of teh other options is fit and forget.

both Ekona and Tommy_D started from those expectations and both have since got rid.

PE won't make 250bhp, but still may well be fast enough, Hass or C2 will but at teh expense of a little more lag.

next job I think is to get you out in both and see which suits you better.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Make sure you browse SC too, there seems to be a turbokit for sale every now and then.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Cheers Mark, It's a possibility then!   s:D :D s:D  

What would the Hass or C2 kit produce in terms of BHP?

How do i go about a test/passenger drive?

I did a search on Autotrader to try and find a Garage with a Turbo'd MR2 to test drive but came up with nothing.

Any Turbo 2's near the Stratford On Avon area want to "take me out"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:     s:D :D s:D

Tem

spit

Best bet for a chance to discuss and experience the options is to come along to a drive-out. Plenty to choose from in the Events forum.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I've always thought that the power figure is a little moot in comparison to the torque curve for your daily driving, but Hass and C2 will reach the numbers you're looking at with a bit of boost control to 10psi and the 1-zz can routinely handle 12psi. Hass seems to have a higher peak torque.

But i didn't pop in to say any of this ... I wanted to add that going FI to these levels will show up some issues in chassis/suspension and handling that you really should consider budgetting for aswell. Oh, and insurance of course!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

Quote from: "jam1e"Cheers Mark, It's a possibility then!   s:D :D s:D  

What would the Hass or C2 kit produce in terms of BHP?

How do i go about a test/passenger drive?

I did a search on Autotrader to try and find a Garage with a Turbo'd MR2 to test drive but came up with nothing.

Any Turbo 2's near the Stratford On Avon area want to "take me out"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:     s:D :D s:D

highest I know of in teh Uk is Philsters C2 and My Hass with 274bhp and 267bhp respectively

I'm sure 300bhp is acheivable with enough boost, but trust me there isn't a road useable enough to need that.

250bhp is plenty with this amount of weight.

There will be a Hass, a C2, and a PE at this weekend Essex meet, so if you fancy a good run out, that might be your perfect chance to blag a few rides

Anonymous

Cheers Tem!

I've tried to register on Spyderchat but can't for some reason??

Cheers

Jamie

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"everything else going to require some basic fettling on your part, obviously we are all here to provide help, but please don't make the mistake of thiking that any of the other options is fit and forget.

both Ekona and Tommy_D started from those expectations and both have since got rid.

That's more important than anything else. You can always find more money, you can always get more power, but if you're not prepared to have to check and play with things every weekend then forget it. I spent a good few thousand pound more than I'd like to admit to get mine all sorted, and even then I still wasn't happy with it. I had expectations of a turbo'd MR2 that were just stupidly unrealistic, and in the end it ruined the car for me and I got rid of it.

Please don't make the same mistake I did. The power is great, but if you're not happy with fiddling and checking things all the time then just save up and go for the TTE kit. If I had I'd still have a '2 now.

Sorry if that comes across as a bit preachy, for all I know you could be the kind of person that loves doing stuff like this, but it's such an important part of owning an mk3 tubby that I really feel it's worth taking note of.

Tem

Quote from: "jam1e"I've tried to register on Spyderchat but can't for some reason??

What does it do then? Or doesn't do? I can ask the admin(s), if you describe it more.  s8) 8) s8)

Tem

Quote from: "Ekona"Sorry if that comes across as a bit preachy, for all I know you could be the kind of person that loves doing stuff like this, but it's such an important part of owning an mk3 tubby that I really feel it's worth taking note of.

It's a good and valid point, especially if one wishes to target some 250hp.  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Thanks folks i'll have a look at the events link.

Good point Spit forgot about the handling side of things. Will prob have lowering TTE springs by September anyhow, but would i need extra bracing or brake upgrade? Trying to keep the cost down but don't want it to be a jelly on wheels with a turbo   s:? :? s:?

SteveJ

Quote from: "jam1e"Any Turbo 2's near the Stratford On Avon area want to "take me out"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:     s:D :D s:D

You have PM

spit

You don't need these things as such, but you'll probably want them!

I'd say, on a facelift, your priorities will be a good set of boots and some beefed up chassis bracing. Brakes are good on the stock '2, but only if they're working well! Thats something you'll have to decide on.

Oh, and we've all forgotten about the uprated clutch that you'll need to budget for!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tem

Quote from: "spit"Oh, and we've all forgotten about the uprated clutch that you'll need to budget for!

If he ends up with the PE kit, I think he can live with the stock clutch too...(?)

markiii

put it this way, I drove spits last year with no bracing adn tired suspension, and coming from mine it felt very scary

since your si an 04 an will have TTE springs and non tired shock, you should be ok

not that it can't improved.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"
Quote from: "jam1e"Any Turbo 2's near the Stratford On Avon area want to "take me out"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:     s:D :D s:D

You have PM

Stevej has kindly offered to take me out tonight in his 2 to get an idea of what is needed and how the car performs.

Cheers

Jamie.

Wabbitkilla

Personally for me i'd at least go for;
Breast plate or equivalent from Corky
TTE or Tein springs
Braided brake lines and dot5.1 brake fluid
Exedy organic clutch (an absolute must with a turbo)
Kirks engine mounts (another absolute must with a turbo)

Oh - wait a minute, that IS exactly what i have already done  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

It all adds to the price and i seem to remember one of our US friends saying recently is that it's not a cheap option fitting a turbo!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Cheers Enkona and Tem, some good points, Have to admit i gave up the Impreza game due to having to make to much of a committment to the maintenance side of things. Prob more to do with the continual expenditure than the time to be fair.

Rather pay and play if there is such a solution.

Bear with me Tem, i did email admin at Spyderchat but never got a reply. I'll try and log in again and let you know what it says...

Anonymous

Quote from: "jam1e"....Will probably have lowering TTE springs by September anyhow....

To be honest I much prefer the ride and handling on a standard car. I can't wait to bin my TTE springs - reminds me of a cheap GMax setup I used to have years back. Wonder if the dampers should be changed   s:? :? s:?

markiii

unless we have very different tastes I suspect your shocks are fubared

Anonymous

Quote from: "Matt"
Quote from: "jam1e"....Will probably have lowering TTE springs by September anyhow....

To be honest I much prefer the ride and handling on a standard car. I can't wait to bin my TTE springs - reminds me of a cheap GMax setup I used to have years back. Wonder if the dampers should be changed   s:? :? s:?

How old are your TTE springs?

Are they for sale, presuming they are any good?

s:D :D s:D

aaronjb

Here's a spreadsheet I made up a little while ago - might make you think about the odd extra bit you'll need, and it also highlights the cost difference between going all-out and going for a kit:

m http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... d1T2KXdPTg m
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: