Any second hand Turbo setups available for sale around Sept?

Started by Anonymous, June 8, 2007, 09:08

aaronjb

Quote from: "jam1e"Rather pay and play if there is such a solution.

If you really mean that then forget your £2500 budget and go TTE Turbo.. it's as close as you're ever going to get to fit & forget..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Chris_h

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "jam1e"Rather pay and play if there is such a solution.

If you really mean that then forget your £2500 budget and go TTE Turbo.. it's as close as you're ever going to get to fit & forget..

Or I guess sell up and buy an off the shelf TTE 2nd hand.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

This is all sounding very familiar!!   s:( :( s:(  

Exedy organic clutches again. AAAAHH!!   s:) :) s:)  

Joke aside i know it's going to be expensive. If Mark thinks the clutch should be ok and presuming the clutch does not have to be part of the dismantling time i may stick to the OE clutch for now and replace when/if the OE wears out.

I don't know much about the bracing side of things so i'll have a read on the forums.

Forgot to mention the car has only done 35k so presume the clutch should be quite good, albeit, a little weak for a turbo.

As for Spyderchat, cheers Tem, but i've now managed to register.

Jamie

Ernie Ball

Excellent and informative thread.

Jam1e, are you also considering 2zz conversion options, or have you ruled that out?

markiii

now that we have swapped a coupel of gearboxes, I realise teh clutch is no big deal at all

all of teh work is dropping teh box. So yes keep the clutch till it dies
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Excellent and informative thread.

Jam1e, are you also considering 2zz conversion options, or have you ruled that out?

Hi Ernie,

I have had a think about the 2zz and read up abit on hear, but again i don't have to much knowledge of the conversion. In principle, imho, if i sell my engine and buy the 190 bhp model there should be little in the way of costs other than the engine swap.

I thought it was just a straight swap of the "Lumps" and maybe the ECU, but it would appear not so straight forward?

Correct me if i'm wrong?

Jamie

loadswine

I will have a complete PE setup for sale at about that time.
As a basic, it will comprise PE turbo, downpipe, Top Secret decat pipe, all pipework, chargecooler, pump + rad + all plumbing and fully mapped (by Thor racing) Apexi Power Fc ecu and Blitz 525cc injectors.
Ther will also be a 1ZZ engine and 6 speed gearbox up for grabs with just over 18k from new on them.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"now that we have swapped a coupel of gearboxes, I realise the clutch is no big deal at all

all of the work is dropping the box. So yes keep the clutch till it dies

Cheers Mark! Abit less to worry about in the first instance!!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"I will have a complete PE setup for sale at about that time.
As a basic, it will comprise PE turbo, downpipe, Top Secret decat pipe, all pipework, chargecooler, pump + rad + all plumbing and fully mapped (by Thor racing) Apexi Power Fc ecu and Blitz 525cc injectors.
Ther will also be a 1ZZ engine and 6 speed gearbox up for grabs with just over 18k from new on them.

Sounds good Nigel, excuse my ignorance, is a charge cooler the same as an intercooler?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Secondly, what BHP was the kit producing on your MR2?

Thirdly, can you send me a PM to give me an idea of what you want for the kit?

Jamie

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"unless we have very different tastes I suspect your shocks are fubared

Hmmm. I know the front shocks were replaced under warrenty a year or so back for some reason. Perhaps the rears need changing now! I'll get someone knowledgeable to have a look at the Essex meet tomorrow.

Not sure how old the TTE springs are.... I have a folder full of receipts so I can dig those out.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "jam1e"Sounds good Nigel, excuse my ignorance, is a charge cooler the same as an intercooler?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

it is, a standard setup normally uses an air to air radiator to cool the compressed turbo air before it goes into the engine, a chargecooler uses water to cool the air (air to water) before circulating the water back to a radiator at the front of the car where its cooled
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "jam1e"
Quote from: "loadswine"I will have a complete PE setup for sale at about that time.

Sounds good Nigel, excuse my ignorance, is a charge cooler the same as an intercooler?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Jamie

could spend a weekend swapping it wholesale from one to teh other then  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "jam1e"Correct me if i'm wrong?

I'd be the last guy to be in a position to correct anyone on anything engine related.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    I'm learning from the real masters around here...

The appeal of the 2zz option for me (not that I'll be doing it any time soon) is precisely that it avoids what Dan was talking about: the endless fiddling and tweaking.  Some guys like that sort of thing and I probably would if I had a garage.  But for plug and play options, it's even better than the TTE, tho without the warranty protection.

Rogue do the swap for £1,400, if you provide the engine and ancillary bits.  Could come out close to your target price...

Myself, I'm secretly hoping my engine explodes so I have to do the swap.  s:) :) s:)

kanujunkie

hope this helps you visualize things
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "jam1e"Sounds good Nigel, excuse my ignorance, is a charge cooler the same as an intercooler?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

it is, a standard setup normally uses an air to air radiator to cool the compressed turbo air before it goes into the engine, a chargecooler uses water to cool the air (air to water) before circulating the water back to a radiator at the front of the car where its cooled

Just had a chat on the phone with Stevej, i'm with you now!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"

hope this helps you visualize things

Cheers Stu!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"

Jamie

could spend a weekend swapping it wholesale from one to the other then  :-) :-) :-)

Sounds Good to me!!!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"

I'd be the last guy to be in a position to correct anyone on anything engine related.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    I'm learning from the real masters around here...

The appeal of the 2zz option for me (not that I'll be doing it any time soon) is precisely that it avoids what Dan was talking about: the endless fiddling and tweaking.  Some guys like that sort of thing and I probably would if I had a garage.  But for plug and play options, it's even better than the TTE, though without the warranty protection.

Rogue do the swap for £1,400, if you provide the engine and ancillary bits.  Could come out close to your target price...

Myself, I'm secretly hoping my engine explodes so I have to do the swap.  s:) :) s:)

Crikey that sounds alot of dosh for a swap!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Am i right in presuming the engines (140bhp and the 190bhp) are a straight swap along with the ECU, i.e no fiddling with wiring and the like??   s:? :? s:?

markiii

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"

The appeal of the 2zz option for me (not that I'll be doing it any time soon) is precisely that it avoids what Dan was talking about: the endless fiddling and tweaking.  Some guys like that sort of thing and I probably would if I had a garage.  But for plug and play options, it's even better than the TTE, though without the warranty protection.

Crikey that sounds alot of dosh for a swap!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Am i right in presuming the engines (140bhp and the 190bhp) are a straight swap along with the ECU, i.e no fiddling with wiring and the like??   s:? :? s:?

simple, but no not that simple

lets keep that for another thread though

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Here's a spreadsheet I made up a little while ago - might make you think about the odd extra bit you'll need, and it also highlights the cost difference between going all-out and going for a kit:

m http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... d1T2KXdPTg m

Cheers Aaron  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

aaronjb

Bear in mind that those costs are quite particular to my individual goals  s;) ;) s;)

For example you can drop the cost of the high flow CAT off if you get a kit which includes one, heck if you run the PE kit as it comes you can drop the cost of injectors, CAT, intercooler, engine management, clutch.. you just bolt it on - won't get you to 250bhp like that, though  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

markiii

PE won't get you to 250bhp anyway

but I doubt 90% of people would be happy, Nigels above is certainly thebest of teh PE breed

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"PE won't get you to 250bhp anyway

but I doubt 90% of people would be happy, Nigels above is certainly thebest of the PE breed

Well, you could easily swap up to a bigger PE turbo  s;) ;) s;)  But yeah, good point.

And I think you meant "I don't doubt that 90%..."  s;) ;) s;)

markiii

I did yes

Anonymous

Had a few PM's with Nigel.

The PE kit sounds what i'm looking for.

Think i would be happy with around 200 bhp if i didn't need to keep lifting the "bonnet" every few days.

I've arranged to meet Stevej this evening so will have more of an idea wot 200+ bhp feels like.

If i were to buy Nigels kit, does anybody have an idea how much i would be looking at to have it installed?

Cheers

Jamie.

Tags: