Any second hand Turbo setups available for sale around Sept?

Started by Anonymous, June 8, 2007, 09:08

kanujunkie

Quote from: "jam1e"If i were to buy Nigels kit, does anybody have an idea how much i would be looking at to have it installed?

really depends on where you get it fitted, DIY can be the cheapest option with mostly your time and efforts or theres option 2 where you can agree a price with a club member to do it for you. Option 3 is take it to somewhere like Rogue motorsport but i have to say yor going to pay a lot for that option, probably about £1500 and then you wont have much in the way of an idea of how to fix it if it were to go wrong
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Liz

Quote from: "markiii"There will be a Hass, a C2, and a PE at this weekend Essex meet, so if you fancy a good run out, that might be your perfect chance to blag a few rides

And a couple of us lowly TTET's!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Had a few PM's and more than likely have sorted the installation side of things, all being well.

Hello Liz   s:) :) s:)  

Talking of the Essex Meet. I can't find it on the events page??

Infact it looks like the Events page could do with abit of a dusting off   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Spelling  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "jam1e"I may stick to the OE clutch for now and replace when/if the OE wears out.

Forgot to mention the car has only done 35k so presume the clutch should be quite good, albeit, a little weak for a turbo.

Thats exactly what I thought and I've only got half that mileage. 3 weeks after C2 install the clutch aint too impressed with anything over 4psi.

markiii

Quote from: "jam1e"Had a few PM's and more than likely have sorted the installation side of things, all being well.

Hello Liz   s:) :) s:)  

Talking of the Essex Meet. I can't find it on the events page??

Infact it looks like the Events page could do with abit of a dusting off   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Spelling  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Events list is a bit out of date

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight= m
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

Quote from: "jam1e"Talking of the Essex Meet. I can't find it on the events page??

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16202 m
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Cheers folks, thought the days of buying clutches all the time had gone!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Can't be any worse than fitting one to an Impreza though!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Pants!

Off topic for a second, the Essex meet is 150+ miles away!!  s:( :( s:(

roger

Quote from: "jam1e"Pants! Off topic for a second, the Essex meet is 150+ miles away!!  s:( :( s:(

Proves how keen you are in your prospective upgrade!! Might make our more experienced members consider their time spent was worth it.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Jaime, if i can do a 570 mile round trip to pick up a hardtop, i dont think 300 miles, when you are contemplating such a major puurchase, is excessive to give you tons of info.

Liz

Just think a chance to go out in a C2, Hass, PE and TTE - these opportunities don't come up often!!  And we don't bite either!

rtbiscuit

thats about a 2 hour drive,

nothing major, stu drove all the way tup norf from surrey to join a northern meet just for a laugh, shows how much fun the mk3 tubby is,

that thing flies as do the other turbos.

there is quiete a range of turbos at the weekend, if not the whole caboudle.

as for turbos in general, i have been out in a couple and they are all fantastic, and IMHO anything over 240-260 bhp  is wasted power as the car struggles to put it down. but its horses for courses, marks is a hi BHP turbo, and it is fantastic and if i could own it i would,

but deep down i think the ideal BHP figure for the 2 would be between 220-240 BHP, the car is so light and handles so well at that BHP you wqould have a good balance of power and handling. just depends on what turbo you pick for the job.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Just think a chance to go out in a C2, Hass, PE and TTE - these opportunities don't come up often!!  And we don't bite either!

If Liz isn't going to bite me i def won't come!!     s:P :P s:P

Liz

I make sure that I give my teeth a good brush when I get them out of the glass in the morning then!

Anonymous

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"thats about a 2 hour drive,

nothing major, stu drove all the way tup norf from surrey to join a northern meet just for a laugh, shows how much fun the mk3 tubby is,

that thing flies as do the other turbos.

there is quiete a range of turbos at the weekend, if not the whole caboudle.

as for turbos in general, i have been out in a couple and they are all fantastic, and IMHO anything over 240-260 bhp  is wasted power as the car struggles to put it down. but its horses for courses, marks is a hi BHP turbo, and it is fantastic and if i could own it i would,

but deep down i think the ideal BHP figure for the 2 would be between 220-240 BHP, the car is so light and handles so well at that BHP you wqould have a good balance of power and handling. just depends on what turbo you pick for the job.

Hopefully i can overcome the barrier by adding some traction control!

loadswine

Traction control works quite well in the only Thor conversion that I have been out in ,and that is reputed to have 280bhp (flywheel).
If you do decide to go for it Jamie, I will be there with mine, so you could have a go with the actual piece of kit we have been talking about.  s:D :D s:D  
There will also be Ben there with his PE I think, so you can see if mine is any good.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Ben's is very good I understand.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

heathstimpson

Quote from: "markiii"budget is possible, but it depends really on what is included in the 2nd hand kit, and what you may choose to add.

I'm fitting one for a member (I'll let him shout if he wants to) in the next couple of months and the basic kit and fitting was looking at £2200, I reckon he's spent another £500 on the little bits though that make life easier, the stuff we have learnt the hardway can be improved on from the factory.

so just to clarify, by warranty I was talking about the kit. TTE is great because if there is an issue you always have backup covered in the price.

however thats is £1500 over your budget

everything else going to require some basic fettling on your part, obviously we are all here to provide help, but please don't make the mistake of thiking that any of the other options is fit and forget.

both Ekona and Tommy_D started from those expectations and both have since got rid.

PE won't make 250bhp, but still may well be fast enough, Hass or C2 will but at the expense of a little more lag.

next job I think is to get you out in both and see which suits you better.
Tis I and funny enough I totted up my spend so far yesterday; £2050 so total project will be costing over £3K now  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

BenF

Jamie, I'll be there with my PE turbo setup - Just had it remapped a couple of weeks back by Perfect Touch. Now has ~230BHP and 212 Ft/lbs of torque, at 10psi - but interestingly at only 7psi produces same power but less peak torque.

The PE setup is a smaller turbo than those used on the C2 / Hass kits, the trade-off being that there is little lag and better throttle response, but peak power and torque figures are lower than the C2 kits. TBH though, more than 200bhp is enough to be plenty of fun in a car weighing under 1000kgs.

Also been having fun with the Roadsters ECU 'compensating' for the additional fuel the Unichip is adding, trying to take it back out - but that's for another post ...
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Tem

Quote from: "BenF"10psi - but interestingly at only 7psi produces same power but less peak torque.

The PE setup is a smaller turbo

There's your answer.  s;) ;) s;)  The smaller turbo can't keep the airflow up at higher revs with more pressure. It'll do fine lower, that's where the increased torque comes.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Thanks for your posts folks   s:) :) s:)  

300+ miles round trip plus the drive out is abit much for me i'm afraid  s:( :( s:(  

Prob be the biggest cackle of Turbos!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I did however, go out for a drive with SteveJ in his Turbo last night around the Stratford area. A big thanks to SteveJ for the opportunity, very quick car!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Liz

And I cleaned those teeth so well!!   Never mind - maybe you can you make it to JAE - not an opportuity for a drive out there so much, but all makes of Turbo will be there.

BenF

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "BenF"10psi - but interestingly at only 7psi produces same power but less peak torque.

The PE setup is a smaller turbo

There's your answer.  s;) ;) s;)  The smaller turbo can't keep the airflow up at higher revs with more pressure. It'll do fine lower, that's where the increased torque comes.

Tem, it will happily make 10psi all the way to Redline - but I agree the turbo won't be operating most efficiently there.

On mine, the way L shaped bend with the 5th injector just at the throttle body that the air exiting the chargecooler has to navigate. That will be causing a fair amount of turbulance - plus the 6x4" PWR chargecooler on mine is 'only'
 rated to 270bhp.

I suspect with an improved intake routing and a larger, free-er flowing  chargecooler you could see 240-250bhp from a PE setup.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Tem

Quote from: "BenF"
Quote from: "Tem"The smaller turbo can't keep the airflow up

Tem, it will happily make 10psi all the way to Redline - but I agree the turbo won't be operating most efficiently there.

Boost doesn't make power, it's the amount of air that gives (or loses) you power.  s;) ;) s;)  It's possible to make less power with higher boost, if you don't get it to flow good enough.

Smaller turbos generally have quite restrictive turbine wheel and housing. It's great for smaller exhaust gas flow and makes the turbo spin early with less airflow than is required to spin a larger turbo. But once you try to pass "too much" air through it, it just can't cope with it and creates a huge restriction. Which does raise the boost in the engine/intake, but decreases the airflow. That's why you can have higher boost with same or less power than with lower boost. You create boost against a restriction, but you don't create flow.

Swap in a bigger turbo, with less restrictive wheel+housing and you'll make a lot more power with the same boost.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

You have a PM Jamie

Cheers

Craig

Chris

well what an interesting read this thread has been...  I think as someone who knows squat all about engines and wouldn't want to have to fix things every weekend, then I'll be saving up a for tte at some point in the distant future..
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tags: