Write Up in MR2Only Magazine

Started by evileye_wrx, June 9, 2007, 10:08

evileye_wrx

Just got my copy of MR2Only Magazine thru the post. In it is my write up of the Alston Meet back in April. It looks like they've left it virtually word for word, just no namecheck for the writer   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

The pics that they used can be found, along with many others here

m http://www.putfile.com/evileye_xc/images/99532 m

For those who don't get the mag, here's the text.

East Meets West (Somewhere in the Middle)

The original plan was to meet and greet some of the newer members of the MR2ROC in the North East. It ended up being an 11 car cruise of members, both new and old, from both sides of the Pennines on the hottest day of the year so far.

The North Eastern contingent met up at 11am in Sainsbury's carpark at the Team Valley, all with rag tops down and all in summer uniform of shades and shorts. We 'convoyed' north up the A1 then west onto the A69. Just short of Haydon Bridge we turned off the main road and into the start of an amazingly twisty  road, the A686. Those of us who've driven this road before were full of anticipation of the joys of cornering at speed and wearing brake pads down to within an inch of their lives. Of course, we were to have no such luck. I was in the second car from the front and groaned as I saw a fat, old Jag make the left turn just before Andy in the lead car. This guy was heading for Alston and it looked like he could get no more than 30mph out of his 'Big Cat'.

The first several miles were taken up watching Andy's brake lights going on too early then slowing to a plod as Jag Man heaved his car round the bends. Finally, one of the few striaght sections of the road appeared and we were able to pass. First hairy moment of the day as I realised that when I moved out to overtake the corner in front was a little closer than I'd expected and I pulled back into lane without much straight road left to spare. At last, we were able to push the Roadsters, and Michael's MRS, a bit more and headed off at a pace more befitting a car with the handling capabilities of the Mk3.

After what seemed a very short while we were slowed again. This time I saw Andy's hands on his shaking head as a group of around 20 cyclists appeared in front of us. Fortunately, they were pleasant, or sensible, enough to pull over and allow our convoy to pass and it was back to the joys of foot down, hard cornering all the way to Alston in the blazing sunshine. On the way we saw a medley of MG's of varying ages heading in the opposite direction, obviously with the same idea as us, and once in alston a large group from the Mini Owner's Club drove through the village, beeping their horns and waving as they went. Now we just had to wait for the North Westerners to turn up to continue the drive.

Having chatted and photographed our line of cars, I had to move mine to allow an eldery gentleman in a wheelchair to get passed on the roadside, we were just deciding that the waiting was over and to head to the pub for lunch when what should appear but another 5 Roadsters coming in the opposite direction that we'd come from. It turns out that they had stopped at Hartside Cafe for a 'Pie Break' before finishing off the last few miles to Alston! Introductions and welcomes were made, along with another round of photos of the impressively long line of MR2's before lunching at the Angel. The pub obviously only owned 2 plates as service was rather slow, and we ate in shifts while everyone else discussed cars and plans for future shows. When the final pair had finished their Cumberland Sausage it was back down to our waiting vehicles to take on Hartside Pass.

The last time we did this drive back in December of last year the roads were empty. This is understandable, given the time of year that it was, and the fact that the Hartside Cafe, at the top of the Pass was closed. As we left Alston, now heading south west, we encountered one of the inummerable cars on the road which prevented us, once again, from pushing the abilities of the MR2. The constant road bends and overtaking Bikers prevented us getting on with it. I nearly went head to head with a Supra when I finally did manage to overtake, he signalled me with the 'Bird' for my sins. Second hairy moment of the day. At the top of the Pass, Andy, still driving the lead car decided not to bother stopping as it didn't look like there was parking for any cars, let alone 11, amongst the dozens of bikes which were there. It is Biker's paradise around those roads, just as much as it is Roadster's. Moreso for the Biker's, as it's a lot easier for them to get passed the rest of the traffic.

So the final stretch, the road to Melmerby, had it's moments. Mark, in the car behind me pushing into Drift mode so I'm told, or was it frantic fishtailing? I was too busy concentrating on keeping my own car within the speed limit, and on the correct side of the road to remember that I had a rear view mirror. For one moment I didn't think my brakes were going to slow me down as I approached a rather tight corner, Third and Final hairy moment of the day. The bends come thick and fast on that part of the road, but then so did the other road users. Some were gracious enough to pull over and allow us to pass. Other's could be passed on the straight sections that did exist, and sometimes we just pottered along until the cars turned off 'Our' road. It would have been nice to see the view from the back of our group, all those MR2's, nearly all shiny and polished, winding down the hillside.

Melmerby is a good place to end a run like today's. We arrived around 3pm at the Tea Rooms and Village Bakery, also known as the 'Golden Sausage Roll' on account of the ridiculous prices charged to a captive audience of drivers and ramblers who frequent such establishments. It was here that the two groups were to split. After tea and cakes out on the terrace, the North Westerners said their farewells and headed off back towards the M6. We turned around and headed back the way we'd come with me leading; this time really slowly, as we joined a line of cars snaking back up towards Hartside. It was only once we were back over the top of the Pass that the road striaghtened out enough for us to pass and get up to speed once again before hitting the next group of cars. This was the way it of the road right back to Hexham. I had to pretend I knew where I was going since I'd taken a wrong turn and drove us through the town centre, which was fortunately dead. Out of Hexham and it's back onto the A69 heading for Newcastle. At this point the North Eastern Chapter of the Roadster Owner's Club went our separate ways. It wasn't far up the A1 until I took my turnoff and arrived home, frazzled by the sun and the wind. It was definitely a good day to own a soft top.

A great day was had by all judging from the feedback on the Forum within a couple of hours of the end of the run. Pictures taken by many were posted up for all to see. Alex wearing his Cowboy hat was possibly an unnecessary addition to that, but I had to do it! So, looking back at it, the exhilaration of the fast parts of the day made up for the frustration of the not so fast parts. The company made up for the wait for lunch and the carrot cake more than made up for the extortionate price that was charged for it. Overall, a great day out. The next one is already being planned.

Will we go back to Alston, most definitely, will it be on our next drive? Who knows, there are other lands to be invaded, and soon. Both groups out today are looking towards their borders and digging out the maps to see where that trip will be.

Those in attendance :-

evileye_xc
Andy_B
northernalex
MR2Mark
Neilbro39
ROC in ROADSTER
Gazz
Spit
dpn1
Wabbitkilla
enid_b
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Chris

Yeah, the article looks good, we were reading that i my copy at the pub lunch stop of the essex drive today..
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

northernalex

I'm famous for sticking up two fingers in MR2ONLY mag  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

steveybmr2-173

Phil, it seems we owe you an apology!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

With the odd few articles we receive and work on at MR2 Only we occasionally decide to leave them as written by the contributor, and this was the case with the roadster event article, it was excellently written, and us re-writing it would of probably lost a lot of what it was all about.

The big mistake we did make was leaving your name off as the writer, Phil which Im truly sorry for, totally unforgiveable but with one thing and another putting this particular issue together has been an uphill battle!!

Thanks for the article, please do keep them coming, as we are keen to up the Roadster MR2 content, events, feature cars and technical stuff, we are working in the background on a forced induction review which we are hoping to get in a forthcoming issue.

Ive also at least one fantastic Roadster feature car planned for the next issue, Ive been on hols for a week and have only just read through my emails, so Im not sure from what corner of the world the car is from yet.

Again sorry Phil!

Any suggestions, ideas, feedback etc, please email:-
 e www.mr2only.com w

evileye_wrx

No worries Steve. Despite being anonymous it was still good to see my words and pictures in print, especially as the magazine arrived this morning, in time to show everyone on our latest North East Drive. I'll see what I can cobble together from this one and send it in. Maybe something about getting lost and driving in circles around War Memorials! Those on todays drive will know what I mean   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Phil
Phil

steveybmr2-173

Thats brilliant Phil, glad we haven't upset you too much, will be sure to include your name as the writer under the title of the next one!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

See you guys soon at JAE!

Anonymous

Quote from: "steveybmr2-173"... re-writing it would of ...

Any suggestions, ideas, feedback etc, ...

For somebody who is an Editor I would've thought a grasp of English grammar would have been a pre-requisite.  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  

Sorry, I'll climb off my soapbox now.

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "Moleshome"For somebody who is an Editor I would've thought a grasp of English grammar would have been a pre-requisite.  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

For somebody who is an Editor, what did you think of my article, moleshome?

Phil
Phil

Anonymous

Quote from: "evileye_xc"For somebody who is an Editor, what did you think of my article, moleshome?

I'm confused now. You're an Editor Phil or you think I meant I'm an Editor?

I'm not an Editor although in a previous existence I was a Technical Author so I've done my fair share of typechecking documents. Unfortunately people saying "should of" when they really mean "should have" or "should've" is just one of those things that makes my bum clench.

As far as the article is concerned I enjoyed reading it. One of these days I'll have to head my '2 northward; you've just got so many great roads. I've been working with the Army just outside Newcastle recently and I can't believe how quiet the roads are so it brought an evil smile to my face to hear that you lot oop north get stuck in traffic too.

As you say  "virtually word for word". I would have expected the editorial staff to have picked up the following, after all there's more to it than just being able to use a spool chucker:

Quote from: "evileye_xc"On the way we saw a medley of MG's

I had to move mine to allow an eldery gentleman in a wheelchair to get past on the roadside

impressively long line of MR2's

easier for them to get past the rest of the traffic.

the road to Melmerby, had it's moments.

all those MR2's, nearly all shiny and polished, winding down the hillside.

steveybmr2-173

Moleshome, this comment left me a little confused...

"As you say "virtually word for word". I would have expected the editorial staff to have picked up the following, after all there's more to it than just being able to use a spool chucker: "

Having just read the printed article that was published in the magazine, we did actually amend all of the "highlighted" errors when the article was edited.

That said we do admit to making the odd mistake in the magazine, happens to even the big boys out there, no ones perfect, but we do try!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Looking for future Roadster feature cars in MR2 Only Magazine, anyone interested please email me:-  e mailto:steveb@mr2only.com">steveb@mr2only.com e

Steve Bishop - MR2 Only Ed

northernalex

I went out and bought it just for that article!  I'm famous (have abo0ut 4 pics of me in MR2ONLY) already!
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "northernalex"I went out and bought it just for that article!  I'm famous (have abo0ut 4 pics of me in MR2ONLY) already!

Famous for giving the 'V's! How uncouth, and you a Doctor!!

Phil
Phil

steveybmr2-173

Ha ha so you are the one flashing the 'V's!!

Working on getting lots more roadsters and articles in the magazines, the mags not just for the lardy Mk2!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "steveybmr2-173"Having just read the printed article that was published in the magazine, we did actually amend all of the "highlighted" errors when the article was edited.

I'll take another look when I get home but I could have sworn that they were all in the magazine article. If not then   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I apologise humbly.

northernalex

Yep, I have the famous V's  s:) :) s:)  lol
evileye_xc said:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Moleshome"
Quote from: "steveybmr2-173"Having just read the printed article that was published in the magazine, we did actually amend all of the "highlighted" errors when the article was edited.

I'll take another look when I get home but I could have sworn that they were all in the magazine article. If not then   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I apologise humbly.

I've been through it again and I stand by the original post. Just to clarify, the apostrophes should have been removed and the magazine consistently used 'passed' instead of 'past'.

Chris

Well it was still a good article, and I know Michael (roc in roadster) was happy to see his car in print while browsing my copy over the le mans weekend..
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

steveybmr2-173

Oops  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Sorry Moleshome looks like we have a mental block on past and passed, you are quite right.

Little errors aside Im glad you guys liked the article that Phil wrote, hopefully more of the same will follow  s:) :) s:)  

Must get my father to come along to one of these Roadster outings in his Roadster, or maybe he will let me borrow his to come along!

Tags: