Anyone in the Midlands?

Started by uktotty, June 13, 2007, 19:34

uktotty

Well I have finally found a car which I think I am gonna buy, its located in the midlands (will confirm where)
Need to go up on Saturday to have a look, does anyone who knows anything wanna come with me?

Anonymous

We're prob gunna need to know where before anyone Volunteers   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

enid_b

and a lot of us are out on a group razz on the 16th, anglesey and surrounding regions...

hope you get sorted

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

carl_evs

When you say Midlands, where do you mean?
That could be quite a big area depending on your point of view!!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

uktotty

OK just to confirm, the car is in Redditch Worcs, Hope that clears up the location a biit.
As a southerner, everything else is up north

Draggon

That is only 20 mins from me  s:) :) s:) ....but I am away at the weekend...sorry chap  s:( :( s:(

What is it? colour / type etc?
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"As a southerner, everything else is up north

Exactly, the Midlands is anywhere between the South Downs and the North Downs.

uktotty

Quote from: "Draggon"That is only 20 mins from me  s:) :) s:) ....but I am away at the weekend...sorry chap  s:( :( s:(

What is it? colour / type etc?
Been looking for ages now and due to insurance company screwing me around I have been delayed, wanted a black or yellow one  but this is a blue one and seems to be how it left the factory.
Manual, 52,000 miles, Blue. ABS, Alarm, Alloy wheels, Body coloured bumpers, Drivers airbag, Electric door mirrors. Factory fitted Sony CD player, 12 months Mot.
http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=557424056

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"As a southerner, everything else is up north

Yes, south is down the bottom, north is up the top, nuff said really  s8) 8) s8)  

Is this one a uk car? What sort of price?

uktotty

Yes mate, its a UK car, not imported, not modified etc.
He is looking at £5600 for a 2000X plate which I recon is pretty good.
Toyota have replaced the top end I beleive, just trying to get written confirmation of that.

Anonymous

Sounds like precat failure then, make sure the main cat was replaced as well, also check if theres warranty left on the replacement top end.
When you go to see it take an o2 sensor socket and ask the seller to remove the two o2 sensors at the top of the manifold, shine in a torch and check the tops of the precats are pristine.

uktotty

Ahhh the infamous O2 Spanner thing!
Anyone know where I can find one in 24 hours?

Chris_h

Seems good value - if its in good nick
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Try halfrauds. The owner should be cool over letting you check ast looks like that was the original problem. Might be worth printing off the guting guide and taking it with you, if the owner is'nt willing to let you inspect them, i personally would walk away.
Good luck.

aaronjb

Quote from: "uktotty"Ahhh the infamous O2 Spanner thing!
Anyone know where I can find one in 24 hours?

Pass by my place one evening and borrow mine  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

uktotty

Ahh good Point Aaron, I am 5 mins away from you as we speak!!
Right, I have spoken to TOYOTA! and they have replaced the WHOLE ENGINE in March 2007. The dealer in question is not telling me much but as it was a toyota warranted repair it is on their UK system and can be accessed by ANY Toyota dealer.
What I dont know is why the engine was replaced ( I suspect precat) I also dont know if it now catted or decatted in its current state.

Chris_h

Sounds good to me - assuming it def carries a 1 year warranty.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

uktotty

Done some more research today, the bit that was replaced under warranty was the "SHORT BLOCK" seems that was a result of the car burning oil.
I am guessing the cats and precats are still there and still original however after speaking to two dealers today they have very very few issues with these.
So that still leaves me with a car with 50k on the clock, a service history and a new Short Block.

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"Done some more research today, the bit that was replaced under warranty was the "SHORT BLOCK" seems that was a result of the car burning oil.
I am guessing the cats and precats are still there and still original however after speaking to two dealers today they have very very few issues with these.

All dealers say that, i assume its Toyota policy. Its also total bollocks.
If the main cat has not been replaced, don't waste your time going to see it, the new engine will be toast soon as well.

uktotty

So what you are saying is that of all the 50 or 60 MR2's on the 2nd hand market at the mo, if none of them have a new cat then I cant buy a car?
Surely if this was such a major issue then there would be no market for used MR2's?

aaronjb

Only if they've had a new engine  s;) ;) s;)  The main cat needs to be replaced as well if so, as it gets full of the precat dust & oil - this clogs it, leads to no power above 4500rpm, huge backpressure in the exhaust and an early death for the replacement engine  s:( :( s:(

BTW, if it were me I'd go drive it - give it some stick, if it's gutless above 4500rpm then walk away.. If not then see if you can tell if the main CAT was replaced and/or get a list of parts replaced when the engine was done.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"So what you are saying is that of all the 50 or 60 MR2's on the 2nd hand market at the mo, if none of them have a new cat then I cant buy a car?
Surely if this was such a major issue then there would be no market for used MR2's?

No, I'm saying if its had an engine replacement or short block due to precat failure it has killed the main cat as well, so it must also be replaced.

keith macdonald

I am 20 min from Redditch, and have the same aged model, replaced engine, pre cats removed, and no regrets, revs to redline easily.
I am a retired mechanic, do all own servicing and most repairs, though no spring chicken  s:( :( s:(   you can try mine for comparison, Price seems ok, there is one at local dealer same age with 42k on clock at £7,650 nuff said.
Let me know if you want company,
Although a brummie I have a friend in Guildford.
Good luck

Keith Mac
Silver 05 Mr2 de catted. 2cv Trike, Jaguar S Type, Harley Davidson, With a king prawn vindaloo.

uktotty

Great news!
You have a PM

uktotty

Finally spoke to the dealer today.
Short block was replaced 23 March 2007 due to a knock and burning lots of oil.
New engine has a warranty of 12 months from 23/3/07. The new engine is a "modified" engine.
New engine has passed a gas test and nothing was done to the cats or precats at that point as it passed ok.
Car is currently as 55,000 witn new engine at 48,000. Engine is warranted to 112,000 miles or 12 months whichever is sooner.
Engine no longer burns any oil and he reccommened a service at every 10,000 miles.
Guy at the dealer said if it were his money he would buy it.
I feel a bit happier now but I still may remove the precats if you guys reccommend it.

Tags: