Anyone in the Midlands?

Started by uktotty, June 13, 2007, 19:34

Liz

Well its meant to have a service every 10k anyway - and do you have an answer as to whether the Main cat was replaced, this is very important - as previously mentioned if they put the old one back on that engine is on its way now to being toasted.  And what do they mean by "modified".
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

uktotty

When I raised the question about the main cat he said they had done a gas test and as the car passed the gas test nothing was done to the cats or precats.
Not sure what a modified engine is, but that's what he told me

SimonC_Here

I would have thought it would pass the gas test even if all the precat material was sitting in front of the main cat. It woiuld only block the flow, not stop the cat working.

If you do go, take it out for a ride and make sure it revs up to the red line normally. Of course this depends on you finding out what a normal one revs like!

Simon

Anonymous

Original cat still on a car that 99% likely had an engine replaced due to precat failure, this is a no brainer, do not waste your time. Its also obvious the dealer is clueless about mr2s.
Plenty more out there.  s:) :) s:)

roger

You MIGHT be OK, but once you get down this avenue, unless you have 100% confidence that everything has been done properly and correctly, there will always be the possibility of shelling out another £1 - £2K.

A test drive won't give you that confidence. If (for example) the precats are failing on the bottom as a result of the previous engine disaster you won't spot that through the O2 sensor holes - you will only know about it when you start using oil and / or the engine fails again.

I agree with Nelix, and as I said before, walk away, PLEASE.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

uktotty

So are you saying that the 12 months on warranty on this engine is not worth the paper its written on?

roger

Some would say "yes", some would say "no". I'm in the latter camp.

I am sure there have been people around who failed to get blown engines done under warranty "because you let the oil run dry, Sir". Or at least it becomes a big argument. Then the car is off the road for so many weeks being repaired.

Look, it really is your choice, if all works out, great. And I will be the first to put my hand-up and say my doubts were wrong. But to repeat Nelix, there are plenty of others to choose from, why choose this one?

You might like the price, if so that becomes a trade-off, but again it's your money, your car and your life - only you will know your own risk rating. If in your opinion the warranty reduces that to nil - then go buy and enjoy, but I reckon the reason you are still talking is that you want somebody else to convince you.  That I can't do.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

uktotty

I didnt spend this much time buying a bloody house!
If I had a £10k budget I would be laughing but with £5-6k I know I cant get perfection and thats why this looked like a better deal as toyota know about the car, the other car is newer with lower mileage but no history so I am still confused.

Draggon

Maybe you could also buy a years warranty from Warrantydirect or Toyota themselves....just for peace of mind.....of course it will cost... (1 year around £500 ata aguess) but worth it  s:) :) s:)

Just an idea
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

heathstimpson

Personally I would walk away to. If your tight for money with the purchase of this car the last thing you want is the potential agro and cost of another failure due to the job not being done correctly in the first place  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

uktotty

Bought it today. Drives well, looks good and the price was right,
Big thanks to Jamie, Aaron and Keith for the help and advice and especially Keith who came to view the car and even test drove it for me!

Liz

Which one did you buy in the end?  The blue one?

uktotty

Yes Liz, I got the blue one, standard spec 55k on the clock.
Will sort our the precats ASAP with some help hopefully.

Anonymous

Did you find out why the engine was replaced? Was it precat failure?
What has been modified in the new engine?
Hope all turns out well for you, enjoy your new car  s:D :D s:D

Liz

It was the Silver one that was the dog...this one appears to be ok!  Well done on finding one, just need to get yourself along to some meets now!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"It was the Silver one that was the dog...this one appears to be ok!  Well done on finding one, just need to get yourself along to some meets now!

Phew!

uktotty

Ir had the engine replaced no sure about Cats but Keith checked it over and it runs well.
Will get thhe precats sorted soon. Heres a pic of last night with my new motor  s:) :) s:)

Liz

Enjoy your car - looks like it went on a posh night out with you

Chris_h

Glad you're pleased with it.

Does Mrs Totty approve too?
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

uktotty

Had no complaints Chris. Seemed to like the car too  s;) ;) s;)

rtbiscuit

well done on the purchase, all you got to do now is wipe out the wallet and start the downward spiral of modding  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

leon_in_uk

yep may be the best to say stay clear lol..

oh hi by the way im back
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"oh hi by the way I'm back

Cosmic  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Only kidding, welcome back, you got another 2?

leon_in_uk

nope, but i sure do miss my 2... keith give it me back...
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

Chris_h

SO, do you have a new 2 yet leon?

Still got the Z4?
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Tags: