The end of the MR2?

Started by Anonymous, November 28, 2003, 23:26

Anonymous

Forgive me if this topic has already been covered.  I have spoken to a Toyota dealer recently who said that the MR2 no longer has sales targets. In other words, he thought that Toyota may be stopping production some time in the ?? near future. He thought there may be a new car which is still a convertible formed from the Celica and MR2. Anyone else heard these rumours??

Comer

I haven't heard that the MR2 is coming to an end but reading the Auto Express got me a bit worried with the news of a Lotus Elise powered by a Toyota engine.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

There's been lots of this stuff over on Spyderchat  - http://www.spyderchat.com

It would be a bit of a surprise to do a facelift model for 2003, and then ditch it in 2004.

But who knows how big corporations minds work.

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"There's been lots of this stuff over on Spyderchat

I don't mind if US ppl think that US equals world, but you shouldn't  s8) 8) s8)

Apparently it will be dropped from US market, but I haven't seen any signs or even rumours, that Toyota would stop making it...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

dont worry... new MR2 will come... MR2 was always a niche car, and toyota has no issues with producing low volume cars...

Slacey

If nothing else, low sales or dropping the car makes it all the more exclusive   s8) 8) s8)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

SteveJ

Couldn't possibly confirm if this is right or wrong, but I can say your dealer is talking out of his rear-end.

Without revealing any details of where the info came from (confidential and sworn to anonymity) the roadster is listed until at least 2006

Beyond that I have no further info.

markiii

and also from the same source there won't be a celica convertible as the chassis isn't designed to take it.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Fair enough!!  s:D :D s:D

Tags: