2003 facelift headlight conversion wiring?

Started by MR2 super GT, June 20, 2007, 02:31

MR2 super GT

I searched and found a few threads but the links were dead  s:( :( s:(

what all do i need to get them working on my pre facelift mr2?

on carson toyota they offer a conversion kit that they say comes with bulb mounting adapters and also wiring adapters.

does anyone know any info on what the wiring adapters are? i emailed them but no reply as yet.

can u buy the wiring from toyota and that works with the 3 pin wiring on the pre facelift loom?

what im trying to get at is the wiring in the 2003+ does the source of the wiring start off with the 3pin plug like the pre facelift headlights and toyota use a wiring adapter?

if not does anyone have any of the previous DIY wiring instructions that used to be online?
when I\'m not in traction, I\'m in action

Anonymous

Are the 2003 headlights much different at a glance? I didn't think they were?

davidhowson

The 03+ lights have seperate high and low beams with the low beams being projector style lights.

The earlier lights run with H4 bulbs (combined high / low ) to convert to the 03+ there is a bit of adaptation to do with the wiring but not much more than fitting a new stereo HU; unless you go to HID as I did in which case you also need to consider other factors.

But the headlamp units themselves will fit with no alteration needed; it's just the wiring.

Anonymous

would there be a problem fitting the hid's if i bought the correct kit (old style h4 lights) i.e dualxenon h4 or will the bulbs fit ok, sorry for the hijack!

MR-S

Does anyone know if I got the wiring loom for the post facelift headlights would it connect striaght to the loom on the pre facelift car??
TRD lip kit, Che Headers, TRD rear Brace, NGK Plugs, TRD oil filter, Facelift side Vents, Key hole covers.

davidhowson

No, is the short answer. Pre-face lift cars have H4 combined high / low bulbs, face lift cars have separate high and low bulbs, the low beam bulbs being H7's IIRC. But a conversion can be done if you are niffty with electrics.

MR-S

There was a link to a wiring diagram on a different thread but it's dead.
Anyone got a wiring diagram for the conversion. Can't be that difficult.  s8) 8) s8)
TRD lip kit, Che Headers, TRD rear Brace, NGK Plugs, TRD oil filter, Facelift side Vents, Key hole covers.

kanujunkie

i'll post one later
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

hi have seen note on wiring but stu have you been able to sort out the diagram if so can you advise as I am doing the conversion at the moment.  thank babyj  s:? :? s:?

kanujunkie

just looking at the diagrams, can you answer me one question seeing as i dont have a pre 03 to hand, is it the upper or lower bulb thats on with the normal lights on? pretty sure its the lower but just to confirm
[size=100]Stu[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "kanujunkie"just looking at the diagrams, can you answer me one question seeing as i dont have a pre 03 to hand, is it the upper or lower bulb thats on with the normal lights on? pretty sure its the lower but just to confirm

The pre-03 is a combined main & dip so there isnt an upper and lower bulb as such, however looking at the pre'03 bulb, the dipped beam is the upper of the 2 filaments (the one with the shield behind it)

HTH.

[edit] What also doesnt help is the BGB diagram details the mythical 'day time running lights' (which arent on the UK or J-Spec cars), and contains no details of the 'daytime running light relay' or what goes on within it [/edit]

[edit2] @ markiii - what does the UK BGB have to say on the matter (assuming the paper copies that you have are the UK ones) [/edit]

kanujunkie

who cares about how the lights are controlled though Steve, daytime running lights are something else, in this case we only need to know the connections to the bulbs and which bulb is which so that they can be split between the two lights in the post 03+ unit. So as Steve says the upper filament is the dipped beam and the lower then must be the high beam, so with that in mind just split the wires from pin2 of each bulb to the new connectors for the projector lights of the 03+ lights and the lower pin1 wires to the new connector for the main reflector on the 03+ lights. Finally you'll need to Tee out the earth side to each of the bulbs with new wireing.

so to cap

for the Left light unit.

splice the Red wire to the new projector light connector
and the Red wire with the green stripe goes to the high beam reflector
take a tee from the red wire with the yellow stripe to each of the lights

for the Right Light unit

splice the Red wire with a light blue stripe to the new projector light connector
and the Red wire with the black stripe goes to the high beam reflector
take a tee from the red wire with the yellow stripe to each of the lights

good luck
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

thanks for all the info we will give it a go    s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

jbreese00 has a photo install over in SC on upgrading to 03 headlights.

might be useful to you

m http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php? ... =44265&hl= m

Tags: