Wrote off my MR2 last night.....

Started by Anonymous, June 20, 2007, 10:27

Anonymous

Well, I haven't posted a comment on here for ages but would like to share my experiences of last night since I would hate for it to happen to anyone else.

Background is I've had my 2005 MR2 for 15 months and not a problem and I consider myself a decent driver and driven in nearly every condition possible and last night was no exception.

The basic story is that on my drive home last night, I was going my normal way through Northampton and coming to a country lane with the national speed limit. I got to about 50-55mph (it had rained just previous) just before and I hit a pool of water which had gathered in a dip in part of the road.

All 4 wheels aquaplaned and as soon as the front left tyre (I think) got a bit of grip the back kicked out. I tried to control it and about 20 metres on the car completely went and flew sideways into the crash rail thing and into the trees and bushes. I ended up in a ditch facing the road with the car completely smashed.

Luckily I was able to climb out of the passenger window which was smashed in the crash and climbed into the road to wave down anyone who was passing.

I am so thankful there were no other cars or pedestrians around as it scared the living sh*t out of me and I don't mind admitting I was bricking it as it happened.

The car was unrecognisable from the front and the passenger side had the worse damage. No airbags went off (bit shocked by that but apparently it depends on the impact point) and I had the passenger door handle/grip on my lap!

So whats the point of this, well to everyone who drives an MR2 please take care because even if you've driven in similar conditions in the past, it's not certain the car will behave in the same way. This has opened my eyes and shaken me to the core and I hope this makes some people think as well.

The ambulance and police said that they have seen a lot worse for a lot less so I'm lucky to only have a few scratches and a very sore knee. They were quite surprised.

Anyway everyone, please take care. I don't want to read about anything worse on this board.

Take it easy,
Drew (MR2-Less   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   )

kashy

hey Drew......

sorry to hear about the accident. mr2 can be frisky in wet and really hard to judge how car will react in/ around water..... the main thing is that your ok.... the car is materialistic and can be replaced whilst a life cant..... hope you mange to sort out insurance and get back on the road again super quick.....

all the best

kashy

uktotty

Drew, sorry to hear that, but the mere fact you are writing this mail means you are OK and up and running.
Hope you can get the car sorted/replaced, will you be buying another 2?

spit

That sounds like a monster 'off' Drew. Brings back horrid memories of my New Year's Eve. Not nice, and particularly cruel when you're on a familiar road and think you know what's coming up. I suppose there's a lesson there for us all.

Good to know you're OK and that the '2 did its bit to protect you though. That's far and away the most important thing.

Hope it hasn't put you off '2 ownership  s:? :? s:?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Chris_h

Sorry to hear this Drew, but good that you're around to tell the tale and nobody was hurt.

Must admit, I hate those standing water moments, especially on the m/way when you have no option of changing lane. Clenched buttock moments!
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Liz

Glad your OK Drew sounded rather nasty.  I went off for a drive last night and got caught in some horrendous conditions, it did go through my mind about experiences of people on here with standing water in outside lanes and it certainly made me think about what I was doing, I hope that you experience is of good to someone.
Hope that your back on the road as soon as and that you get well soon.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

celmacmat

Very sad to hear this Drew, but at least you are not hurt   s:( :( s:(
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

alancdavis

As everyone says,,,,glad you are ok,,,,,,cars can be replaced,,,people cant
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

loadswine

Sorry to hear of your mishap Drew, as has been said  most important thing is that you are okay.
Hope you get all the necessary insurance sorted with no drama. You've had more than enough of that already. Good luck mate!  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

edward.carter

Glad your ok! Which is the point i wanted to add. Never did see an official NCAP test for the safety of the mr2, but of all the accidents people keep reporting on here and how they keep walking away from them, does make me think mr2 is a solid little motor. I know its not going to be a 5 *  but from what ive seen on here it is encouraging to say the least! Glad your ok anyway, and buy another one !  s:) :) s:)

enid_b

sorry chap, hope the knee is better soon.  im sure i can summarise from all of us, its the worst feeling, and we would not wish it on anyone.

so so glad you are not hurt.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

You're not alone...

this happened to me 3 days ago also as a result of hitting standing water. luckily for me the car didn't flip, just smashed hard against the guardrail. this was on the highway traveling at high speed.

So yes, everyone please be careful out there when it's raining

Anonymous

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

I'm gutted for you mate, that car was an absolute beauty  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Same happend to me - Thats 3 of us (that we know about) then!

glad you walked away okay!

freak_in_cage

unlucky m8

gotta say thou- im surprised that the 2 behaved the way it did- ok- so its RWD and mid engined- but assuming you let off the throttle when aquaplaning (dunno if this is the right thing to do?! i assume so if your gradual) then it sounds like most cars would have behaved in a similar way???

4WD scooby or RS4 may have been ok but many other cars including standard FWD 206 may well have reactied the same!

neilbro39

Sorry to see these accidents occuring. I had a near one myself this morning in a downpour. I was just passing a white van on a quiet bit of dual carriageway when we both hit some standing water together. I took a bow wave over the windscreen from the van and lost all vision for about 2-3 seconds at 50mph  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   When I got through it I had drifted across towards the van and wasn't far of winging him.
No more overtaking for me in this kind of weather.
2000, Astral black, Razo gear knob, gutted pre-cats, otherwise as Mr T intended it!

Anonymous

Firstly, thanks for all the kind words of support. I am extremely lucky and in my opinion I am only alive because of the MR2 safety. The cabin was fine and there was no movement in steering wheel or pedals.

I went back today to see it in daylight and it being lifted by a crane out of the ditch and it was not a pleasant site.

The passenger door had a hole in it from hitting a concrete post, the front was crumpled/missing up to about 6 inches before the windscreen and the back quarter on the passenger was missing!!!

Only weird thing is some scally has nicked the CD/radio with my Muse CD in, cheeky git!!!!

Anyways, I'm ok, car is written off and to be honest I don't know if I can/want to drive another 2 after that. It was my pride and joy so still gutted.

Thanks again everyone, top quality community on this board.

Cheers,
Drew

aaronjb

Quote from: "drewdawson"Only weird thing is some scally has nicked the CD/radio with my Muse CD in, cheeky git!!!!

That just sums up the state of the world really, doesn't it  s:? :? s:?

Anyway - sorry to hear about the smash (both of you, already said my bit to RedRacer over on SC mind  s:) :) s:) ) - here's hoping you both get behind the wheel of another '2.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

rtbiscuit

i did this 3 months ago, but got mine fixed.

as for what to do when sliding like that is not to let off the power, but not to add anyhting either. as soon as you power down the wheels lose what little traction they have and the spin gets worse.

you need to keep power on and opposite lock to the direction your heading towards.

saying that i should have followed my own advice,   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Drew feel for you mate. Only span mine and didnt hit anything but scared the beejesus outa me. As all said before glad your not hurt.

northernalex

As everyons said... glad you're ok..

We need to ban water from british roads.. seems like the only solution.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

ChrisGB

Glad to hear you are OK. Odd beast the '2. Took mine on a soaking wet handling day and had absolutely no problems keeping it straight or recovering from oversteer and understeer at pretty high cornering speeds. However, when I hit standing water on the dual carriageway, the car often feels marginal for stability. I try and keep the speed sensible when it is tipping down now. Adding a front strut brace seems to have helped with this a bit.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Quote from: "drewdawson"Only weird thing is some scally has nicked the CD/radio with my Muse CD in, cheeky git!!!!

Strewth, you really did have a lucky escape!

Anonymous

!
It's good to hear that you came out of it ok.....and your experience and the warning it serves certainly made me think again.

I've driven through standing water a bit quicker than I probably should and regularly "burn off" a few cars in the wet, using an uphill overtaking lane (on a road which has seen a few accidents) on my way home from work.

I never intended the 2 to be a wet weather car.....but my wife changed jobs and regularly uses the ford focus (always seems to be running on fumes when I need to use it  s:x :x s:x  ).....so I use the 2 the majority of the time (by choice I must admit.....getting into the Focus feels like driving a Transit van after the 2......my wife using the other car is a way of also justifying it)

russcannell

Wow bad smash mate ...really sorry for you.....I have to say the recent rain has caused havoc round here. I went through some deep water at a very slow speed and when i came out of it i heard a scraping noise from the back. Got out and found the rear nappy folded under the car and another little plastic jobbie hanging vertical from the sill. Ten mins laid on my back with a spanner saw the offending items removed and then i was on my way again......soaked...!! Need some penny washers to fit them back as the holes had ripped out. Sigh.......
Russell Cannell
53 MR2 silver with bodykit & carbon spoiler. Hass Turbo 225bhp 260 Nm Torque.

Tags: