Pipercross Induction Kit?

Started by uktotty, June 20, 2007, 23:48

uktotty

Is this any good as some of you have mentioned not to go for the oiled type?

Anonymous

I believe the oiled type can foul the maf with oil. There again i could be wrong as usual (married) about it being the maf, but it does cause problems.

uktotty

*goes to find out what a maf is

loadswine

Can't see why oiled filters should be a problem if the maf is cleaned regularly, and they are not over oiled.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Came up a few weeks back Nigel, im fairly sure the oiled filter covered the maf in oil, but as i said, could be wrong.

evileye_wrx

I seem to remember reading that Pipercross are a bit cack anyway. If your going for Induction kit then have a look at Apexi Induction Kit, or one of the Cold Air Intakes like PPE or AEM. Or the other choice is to but in a decent panel filter and a Markiii pipe if you don't want to risk dropping a couple of hp for a noise mod (Says the man with the shiny blue CAI).

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

I had one on my 2 and it caused a realy bad flat spot at 4500 revs a bit like hitting the rev limiter DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

uktotty

Thanks for the feedback guys, it was very cheap on eBay hence the question.

Evileye, if you can translate that into English for me that would be great too.

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "evileye_xc"I seem to remember reading that Pipercross are a bit cack anyway. If your going for Induction kit then have a look at Apexi Induction Kit, or one of the Cold Air Intakes like PPE or AEM. Or the other choice is to but in a decent panel filter and a Markiii pipe if you don't want to risk dropping a couple of hp for a noise mod (Says the man with the shiny blue CAI).

Phil

Translation: I seem to remember reading that Pipercross are a bit cack anyway. If your going for Induction kit then have a look at Apexi Induction Kit, or one of the Cold Air Intakes like PPE or AEM. Or the other choice is to but in a decent panel filter and a Markiii pipe if you don't want to risk dropping a couple of hp for a noise mod (Says the man with the shiny blue CAI).
Phil

northernalex

PPE and AEM make cold air intakes, Phil has an AEM.

Cone filters like the APEXI make good sound but dont have any proven Horsepower gains.

The markiii pipe replaces the restrictive elbow that leads to the airbox.

(phil I understood your english anyway mate)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

roger

I reoiled my TRD filter about month ago, no problems yet

*fingers crossed*.

About the PiperCross - Silverstone Performance never got it to work on the NA, but it was OK on turbo.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "roger"About the PiperCross - Silverstone Performance never got it to work on the NA, but it was OK on turbo.

I believe there are 2 types of pipercross Induction lit available. SP's is based on the Pipercross Viper. A Search for Pipercross or Piper X should reveal that indeed they are cack, or rather provide nothing useful in an N/A car.
Phil

markiii

Quote from: "roger"I reoiled my TRD filter about month ago, no problems yet

*fingers crossed*.

About the PiperCross - Silverstone Performance never got it to work on the NA, but it was OK on turbo.

odd, TRD is as far as I know a dry filter?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

northernalex

Quote from: "markiii"

*fingers crossed*.

Mines a dry TRD filter. I remeber reading on the web that they do both and there was suspiscion that the oiled one was a rebranded K+N although I'm probably wrong.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

alancdavis

I think I may be glad I was outbid on the E Bay one,  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ,,,Postage was OTT anyhow    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Chris_h

Can thoroughly recommend the Apexi cone type for noise (quiet until you want it to be loud).

They are expensive new and as mentioned above, should be considered an acoustic mod only.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

roger

Quote from: "northernalex"
Quote from: "markiii"

*fingers crossed*.

Mines a dry TRD filter. I remeber reading on the web that they do both and there was suspiscion that the oiled one was a rebranded K+N although I'm probably wrong.

I've definitely got an oilable one - it says so in the instructions. Bought it S/H over 2 years ago now, think it was about year old then.

IIRC the newer ones are non-oiled.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

alancdavis

Maybe a silly question,,,,,but do these kits provide a more "sporty note " or just noiser  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Chris_h

The Apexi sounds the same unless under full load (floored) or high revs (5-7k). Then it has a most V8 musclecar like power roar. It sounds much much sportier, obviously noisier when flooring it, but such a pleasing roar....

Its does become somewhat addictive. But just to reiterate, it is NO noisier under normal driving and sounds as per normal airbox.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

alancdavis

I think I may like that V8 noise    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

rtbiscuit

i believe that there were other issues with the k&n may be the same on the pippercross. basically the bend in the elbow was to severe and to closs to the maff which gave flat spots in acceleration.

pipercross are good, but it depends what car they are fitted to. also there viper kits are meant to be very good, but i don't know what they are like on the 2.

another concideration is the green cooton dynatwist, not meany people have them, but like the ppe it sits behind the battery and is enclosed.

i also have the apexi, and when mounted with the che manifold and h&s twin exhaust it scares old ladies and small children, and sometimes makes me do  a little sex wee of excitment  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

uktotty

Rich, does the term too much information ring any bells?

mr2mark

I'm another example of a cross   s:x :x s:x   piper cross filterowner, it created that flat spot on my car aswell..... It makes you wonder why they even list it for our car !!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Tags: