What Satnav do you have?

Started by markiii, June 22, 2007, 13:31

evileye_wrx

I've got Copilot6 on my mobile phone. It's a good system, that hasn't let me down as far as direction finding goes. Only downside is that it gets a bit shiny so the screen is difficult to see with the soft top down, and the fact that it's difficult to hear instructions over engine noise, again, mostly when the hood is down.
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

QuoteCheek or fraud  

Your conscience will tell you.

Fraud my @rse......behave

roger

fraud (n.) something intended to deceive : deliberate trickery intended to gain an advantage
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quotefraud (n.) something intended to deceive : deliberate trickery intended to gain an advantage

Your talents are wasted on here......

roger

Not mine.....ask.com   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Better shut up now or we will get moderated   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Liz

Quote from: "daz8365"I'm trying to come up with a little scam.....I bought my tomtom 710 from e-bay for £200 with free p&p, just waiting on it arriving, should be here today.

The seller said it is only 3 months old and still has a Comet rcpt until April 2008, so something clicked and I thought to myself, the price in Comet was about £299.00 for this model, take it back to Comet and say it keeps freezing on me, try and get my money back and then use this money to buy the current Tomtom 910 from Amazon for £259.00

fingers crossed it works

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Good luck, Comet will insist on sending it away for a repair as it is over 28 days old, I tried when mine wouldn't pick up the A10 despite doing a new download onto it and they refused a refund, despite me saying not fit for the purpose, alot of this is to do with TomTom though.  I had the Nokia N95 nav me home today, the commentary was most amusing -
"Turn slightly left at the next opportunity" (which in fact was accurate but it sounded funny) "Keep going ahead for a while". I think for long journeys I would take the TomTom 510 and a map book!

Anyways back on topic!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

enid_b

I have tomtom 5 and 6.  still trying to get my head around the 6.  the map is a lot better ,but i cannot rotate the screen, so the display is a little compromised.

and when i moved up to 6 i lost all my favorites, but there is a google search mod to repair that, ive just not had time.

6 on the PDA seems to be the way forward, certainly for me. got the whole kit on ebay for £150.

have wabbitkilla as a buddy. sadly neither of us could work it out on 16th when nick got lost in chester !!!!

AFD me thinks.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

ninjinski

Started with the Toyota OEM but took that out to fit a decent stereo - Rely now on my PDA with TomTom and a bluetooth GPS device.

Kinda cool as in London it gets me to the car park in the city then onto the company I'm visiting on foot!!
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

red_leicester

Has anyone got a celebrity voice on theirs?  I bet the Ozzy one is great... take the next f***ing left you f***ing t**t... etc etc

(Might tire of it after about 15 minutes though   s:) :) s:)  )
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

mrsmr2

Excellent topic.  I'm considering getting a satnav system and would like to know the best one to get.

Important things to me are:
1) portable;
2) free to update with maps; and
3) free to update with camera locations.

Any views on the best ones to have would be appreciated.  I know I can look at the poll results but the most popular might not be the best one.

Thanks
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrsmr2"2) free to update with maps; and

You'll be lucky, that's where they make the money now.

ninjinski

Quote from: "Moleshome"
Quote from: "mrsmr2"2) free to update with maps; and

You'll be lucky, that's where they make the money now.

Bittorrent   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Liz"Also got the Sat Nav on the Nokia N95, but as it keeps crashing I will keep to my Tomtom!
Haven't even got mine to work at all yet; must read that massive manual sometime  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

heathstimpson

Had a Navman but just got a refund as the touch screen stopped working. Got inbuilt Nav on the Jag and nav in the 2 via a Pioneer headunit which is currently not reading the disc  s:? :? s:?

Liz

I have the N95 working, just need to get your head around setting landmarks and it all easy from there on it - done 3 trips with it now and it is spot on.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

rtbiscuit

mines tomtom 6 on PDA and i think it is a doddle to use.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

MikeMr2

I've got a NavMan F20.  Was a present - wouldn't have bought it out of choice.

Upside:
* Cheap as chips @ 130 quid
* Mapping's fairly clear
* basic speed camera database
* has a day/night mode
* can save favourite places, postcode search, etc.

Downside:
* Screen's barely bright enough to use with top down
* Voice difficult to hear with stereo on or roof down - the 2's cockpit isn't the quietest place to be
* Small screen & text is hard to read with normal vibrations from the road
* Small touchscreen buttons are annoyingly hard to use - don't have the daintyest fingers in the world, but there's a limit...
* doesn't like A roads - either sends you down motorways or narrow diddy roads (which can be good fun in the 2 if you're not in a hurry   s:) :) s:) , or a complete PITA... )
* Traffic module is an extra 60-odd notes, European mapping is expensive too

Summary:
If you want cheap, useable (barely) satnav, then NavMan F20's OK.  If you want any other functions, pay a bit more money for something else.

/mike
Cake or Death?

GSB

I have an Alpine INA-333R...

Its a superb unit, directing with precision at all times. It guided me all the way across France last year, using multiple waypoints, utilising interesting roads, and motorways where appropriate, and guiding me to some otherwise unfindable addresses without issue. Best I've ever used...

As always though, there are Pro's and Con's:

Pro's.

Simple interface, which can accept postcodes or addresses for any country in Europe.
Excellent guidance.
Its also an excellent stereo, with full feature control of an iPod.
Far better positional awareness than any portable solution. (Unlike Tom-Tom etc. which rely entirely upon GPS signals to work out where they are, The Alpine takes inputs from the vehicle speed sensor, the gearbox to detect when reverse gear is selected, and a gyroscope to detect which way the vehicle is facing. This means it can work out where it is much much faster than simple GPS devices, and can accuratley plot its position on the map even without a constant GPS signal.. When it does have a GPS lock, it will calculate its postion on the road to a much tighter margin. It will also recalculate your route much earlier than TomTom when you bail out due to traffic and head down a side road...)

Cons.

Its not transferablt to aother car very easily,
Its bloody expensive.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

jonytom

Quote from: "evileye_xc"I've got Copilot6 on my mobile phone. It's a good system, that hasn't let me down as far as direction finding goes.

Pity you didn't take it with you on the Wooler drive!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

Anonymous

I had a Navman gps jacket with my iPaq, then iPaq died last year and i replaced it with a TomTom Go 910 (as i'm over the US a few times a year i wanted to have USA maps as well) and i love it. in fact, it was stolen on New Year's day and i loved it so much i bought the same one.
I added a tracker to it and now i can import my trips and view them on Google Earth   s8) 8) s8)

markiii

a tracker?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

i meant a logger... this is not my day, i keep on making mistakes lol

so it's a program that you add on the tomtom, it creates a .gpx log file that you can import in google earth for example. This is my trip yesterday from Brussels to Copenhagen.

and the logger itself is here http://web.tiscali.it/macri/Event_Logger/

markiii

excellent, just what I've been after
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned using a computer in their car.

I have a laptop connected to a GPS sensor and use a program called iGuidance (which I understand is no longer supported for European users).  There are Euro nav programs available that work in this sort of setting; however, I have no personal experience to use for a recommendation.

My computer drives an add-on 7" VGA display mounted in a JDM navpod up on the dash (sourced from JapanParts).

This not only allows for GPS navigation, but on my machine also provides space for 5882 songs (and growing), OBDII diagnostics, video playback (but not while driving of course), and a few other misc things like web browsing (when in reach of a wireless network connection), calculator for checking gas mileage, calendar, touchscreen notepad (to remember bread/milk on the way home), etc.

Others have added many things like phone integration (using blue-tooth), weather information displays, traffic information alerts, car maintenance records, reverse camera, and even front facing cameras recording on a loop (used recently by a US individual to protest a speeding violation that was overstated by the officer issuing the citation).  There is also under development a tracking device (useful if someone were to make an unlawful excursion with your car).

In the US a SC member (silencery) removed the "guts" of the double-DIN OEM radio/cd/cassette player and mounted a small computer inside, with a DVD drive cleverly mounted so one uses the OEM CD slot to insert discs.  The volume and tuning knobs are connected to rotary encorders to perform other computer control functions.

The largest Internet forum on the topic of car computers (that I'm aware of) is at  w www.mp3car.com w

A UK site featuring the public domain front-end software I use (front-end software is very useful for touchscreen operation) can be found at  m http://www.kompassist.co.uk/ m  

I'm sure there are many other sites that could make a recommendation on navigational software for those so inclined to go this route.

While not a pic of the Nav screen (since my program is of little use in the UK), I have attached a pic of the audio screen in action (so to speak) to give you an idea of what one would look like in operation.

heathstimpson

I have a Pioneer sat nav H/U in the 2 which works well  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: