Cant Decide Which to Buy - Help Me

Started by Anonymous, June 22, 2007, 20:30

aaronjb

Quote from: "adetri"The problem is you are really spoilt in the MX5 Mk2 - you sort of think "why aren't all gearboxes like this?" .....  then you drive a older Volvo V40 with the Renault sourced gearbox (I did), and you think "this porridge is a bit lumpy"

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Yeah - I know what you mean about being spoilt.. The Z's gearbox is also fantastic for the same reason the MX5's is - the stick is sat right on top of the gearbox.

Quote from: "Fiery Phoenix"What is the ' Facelift ' model?

Seen it on a few ads

It simply means the post 2003 model, when the '2 received a facelift.

See here for more details of the year-on-year changes:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4807 m
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

firepower

imho the choice is between mx5 and mr2 if your after a roadster they are both top class motors with little to choose between them .
having only driven the 1.9 Z3 ( talk about slow ) 10.5s to 60   s:( :( s:(   i do not know how the 2.2 or 2.8 perform although i should think the mr2 and mx5 will out handle any of the Z3s which are nice motors just not a sports car unless you go for the Z3M   s:P :P s:P
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Anonymous

ISn't the z3 based on some crappy old early 90's chassis.
I've heard the handle like a lump of turd.  s:D :D s:D

firepower

yes i think it uses the 3 series chassis which was never regarded as sporting   s:) :) s:)
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Anonymous

Hi guys

looking to test drive the MX% and MR2 tomorrow

Quick question regarding the MR2 - saw a few ads which state ' UK Supplied '

Reckon this could perhaps be an import?

If so should I steer clear of imports or not?  Any difference?

Anonymous

EU and UK cars are identical, so no worries there.

tonigmr2

Really, the only way to know is go drive both the MX5 and MR2!
T
Yellow 55 with hardtop and aircon!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"EU and UK cars are identical, so no worries there.

Sayif its a Japanese import though?  I Know the <azda has the Eunos whiich is - should I steer clear if the MR2 is an import?

Wabbitkilla

If your concerned about the Jap import thing look here;  m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17535 m

There's nothing wrong with them, just keep in mind the differences.
Some of the Jap imports are quite special, there's a white one floating around here which looks phenominal!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

I have test drove both now - the MX5 and the MR2 and it's defo the MR2 for me - the MX5 was a bit too compact inside - found the MR2 much more spacious inside and it felt better - not as low down - hard to explain.

But least I know what I like now!

Wabbitkilla

Yay  s8) 8) s8)  

Get out and get one my good chap, you won't regret it
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Anonymous

Actually viewed one earlier - the idle revs counter was at 1500 - is this normal?

Wabbitkilla

It will start around there when cold.

Should after a few minutes drop to around 1000rpm.
When fully warm and been out and about a bit they can drop to 700-800rpm, nothing to worry about.

You will need to test drive it for long enough to be fully warm to see where it ends up. I'd recommend taking something like white kitchen roll to hold near the exhaust otle for any tell tail signs of oil use.

Have a look at the search button, you can find out loads of things to check before you hand over the readies

Liz

Quote from: "Fiery Phoenix"Actually viewed one earlier - the idle revs counter was at 1500 - is this normal?

What about Perrys one - rare to find a Turbo come up for sale.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Wabbitkilla

Now that is one special car!
One wonders if it is suitable for us human beings.

Depends how much you want to spend, i saw quite a nice dark green metallic (pretty rare) at the dealers in Slough for £7995 on an 03 plate.

Let us know how you get on and we'd love to meet you sometime. It may even be worth just getting in touch and meeting with a member near you if you want some good tips and ideas.

enid_b

or you could have mine?

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Looking for an 03 plate, prefer silver ( would consider black ) some of the prices are nearer £9k for an 03 though and I have been offered stupid low proces at trade in for my 54 plate Focus

Wabbitkilla

Probably possible, but don't overlook other options - that green is growing on me!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Have a look at the search button, you can find out loads of things to check before you hand over the readies

Had a quick search - seems to be the pre-cat issue mainly - looks like I should be looking to buy one without them in or one with them in if it has low mileage ( and the remove them ) is that correct?

None of the Toyota dealers near me have any used MR2's for sale - really want an 03 plate.  Is it worth waiting or is it quite rare that they may get a 4yr old car on their forecouts?

Now I'm beginning to look can you guys advise the MAIN things to look out for?  And on the pre-cats - such a noob - so I apologise but how do I know if they have been removed?  Where do I look to check / what do they look like?

Tags: