The Best Detector

Started by Anonymous, June 11, 2003, 15:20

Anonymous

Many people talk about installing a speed camera detector, I've just been having a look on the net and there are loads out there, Has anyone got some advice on the best ones ????

Anonymous

The Origin Bluei is the one I have, its a GPS camera locator.

There are various others out there, but this is widely accepted as "one" of the best....Radar detectors are all very well, but under normal circumstances by the time the detector has seen it, the trap is already set.

The Bluei gives NO false alarms, and is very configurable.

http://www.originbluei.com

Anonymous

I've only used GPS ones - the Geodesy and Road Angel. The Snooper S6RNEO looks very impresive too but is a bit more expensive.

The 2 i tried were both good - the road angel might just take the crown as it now comes with a laser detector too.

no external arial is offered the road angel so it must sit on your dash. the others have the option of being mounted elsewhere.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Radar detectors are all very well, but under normal circumstances by the time the detector has seen it, the trap is already set.

Radar is easily detected because it scatters everywhere, and almost any half-decent radar detector will give you loads of warning. However, radar is almost never used by mobile traps anymore. Laser guns are the real problem; by the time the detector picks it up, you've already been caught (it has minimal scatter so you're unlikely to get a warning from the guy in front).

For fixed cameras, radar will detect traditional Gatso's, but for all other types (Truvelo, SPECS, etc) you need a GPS-based system.

In summary, remember that a GPS-based system will not help you with mobile traps (unless it's a frequent haunt and been logged as such), so in an ideal world you want GPS and laser - some of the newer generation units combine these into one unit.

Anonymous

I quite like the look of the Version 2 model... looks the business!

So Craig, where have you fixed your's in your '2?

Hope4Sun

Just did a group buy with some of the lads at work on the new Road Angel with add on Laser Detector, these things seem to have got good reviews alround and being GPS locators are pretty accurate.

They put a new camera in last week near me and the dector had it in the last update already  s:) :) s:) , if anyones interested, our local ICE shop is doing them at £340 instead of £400.

Drop me a PM  s:) :) s:)

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Anonymous

Noticed that the bluei has an updated version out on the 18th that has got some extra features. Radar detection as standard and an additional unit to detect laser to come later.
I've only ever got caught by the sneaky traps when MR. Plod jumps out from behind a van parked and points a speed gun ay you.

Anonymous

Ive been shot a couple of times, but think i slowed enough to get away with it (touch wood) - i feel sorry for all the guys on the M1 this morning... all i saw was "FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH"   s:o :o s:o  

Might invest in one of them if everyone thinks they are that good!  s:) :) s:)  Would like to see one working first though.

Anonymous

Of course you could just (controversial suggestion coming up here...) stick to the speed limit.  Drastic I know.

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"Of course you could just (controversial suggestion coming up here...) stick to the speed limit.  Drastic I know.

--H--

LOL @ Hardcore! 30-40, yeah i agree... motorway... thats a difference story!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

bloody heel you crashed the 2 now speeding and geting caugth LOL dosent pose well Kris LOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I use Snopper top of teh range jobbie it's good but leaves it a bit late for some of them good thing the 2 has good brakes   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"bloody heel you crashed the 2 now speeding and geting caugth LOL dosent pose well Kris LOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Like i said to Craig... LEAVE IT!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   ok im sorry Kris

s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "Hardcore"Of course you could just (controversial suggestion coming up here...) stick to the speed limit.  Drastic I know.

--H--

LOL @ Hardcore! 30-40, yeah i agree... motorway... thats a difference story!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
I wonder if the government will ever review speed limits.  The motorway limit of 70 mph is clearly antiquated.

I never speed in 30 or 40 zones as it is dangerous, but there are many areas of motorway where 80/90 or more is perfectly safe.

I was very interested to hear about the speed limits being raised in Italy recently, do we think there is any chance at all that our motorway limits may go up one day?...

(Perhaps we could/should move follow-ups to "Chit chat"...)

--H--

Anonymous

I try to stay in the speed limit on roads but with cars today the only way of staying at 30 is to constanly look at the speedo, been caught twice in a 30 limit once at 34 and once at 37.
Still think that most of the reason for it is fundraising, mother in law was broken into not long ago took 2 days for someone to come round.

Anonymous

Quote from: "LouieB"I try to stay in the speed limit on roads but with cars today the only way of staying at 30 is to constanly look at the speedo, been caught twice in a 30 limit once at 34 and once at 37.
I'm not quite sure I agree with that statement, to be honest.  No offence but it does sound a bit like an excuse.

I'd say it comes with experience but I've only been driving for seven years, and only in my '2 for about 8 months, so I don't know what it is but I can pretty much tell what speed I'm doing without constantly checking.  I'll glance at the speedo every now and then to see what the exact speed is but I can detect a slight increase in speed quite easily without haveing to check the speedo all the time.

--H--

mph

Can we stick to the answering the question posed please - or better, start a thread off in Chit-Chat if you wish to discuss the merits or otherwise of speed limits in general. Thanks.

/admin
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

The Bluei 2 has the additional optional feature to warn when you go over the current speed limit REGARDLESS of whether there is a camera about (like I said this can be switched on or off).

I have spoken to Origin and features like this one should be updated shortly for the old bluei model...the only new features the new model has that can not be updated are the radar detection.

Buster, the Bluei is also configurable for the distance, anything from 100meters to 1600meters...I find 500 is good mix for urban and motoways.

Anonymous

yeah my snooper hasnt got that option, how much is your then??

i can sell mine to my dad i think   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   lol

Anonymous

Wait for the new model...£429.  My old model was £400 plus extra for a second set of cables for the 2nd car.

I am talking with them currently about which features are to be included in the new model that cant be updated to the old model (I think its just radar)...will see what deals they can do anyway...maybe a group buy.

Anonymous

I am a Blue i user as well and can vouch for it. The database I have found to be overall very good, with it only letting me down with two permanent Gatso's in Edinburgh but I logged them and uploaded them. I have a couple of pics of it on my site in the sig below.

I was offered an upgrade price to the B2 but have decided to stick with my original unit. Tempted to get to a Target LRC-100 to complement it as some motorways can be like Star Wars with the mobile units but the legal position on their use is *unclear*.

Anonymous

Kris, my bluei is located in the same place as seen in Lusaka's picture below.  I have hidden the cables though and mine is slightly back between the screen and the dash, I will get some photos up shortly to show you guys.

The location shown is the best place, I swap mine between the 2 and the focus (2 pairs of cables).  I found that if you put it down near the gear stick, you have to take your eyes off the road to read the details, the position shown you can just glance at it to see what the speed limit should be.

Anonymous

ahhh, i see! Well post up what you can and i will see exactly what you did at JAE (if im not still in the fecking Clio that is!)   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Wait for the new model...£429.  My old model was £400 plus extra for a second set of cables for the 2nd car.

I am talking with them currently about which features are to be included in the new model that cant be updated to the old model (I think its just radar)...will see what deals they can do anyway...maybe a group buy.

Hey lads - i have a contact with the manufacturers.

I can get a good deal here for you, think roughly 5% off single buys - more with group buy.

Shall i start a topic in the F/S WTD section?

Anonymous

Here is the photos of my bluei

The power cable comes out of the unit, and down the side panels through the stearing panel and through the back into the lighter (this can be hard wired to the car).

The antenna is basically just fed down between the windscreen and dash to tidy up.  The location shown is the best place, I had it to the left before but in some circumstances lost the signal...this place seems to be best.

Tags: