Essen Motorshow Report - discussion

Started by mph, December 4, 2003, 10:09

SteveJ

Quote from: "pmdye"
Quote from: "juansolo"I shall continue to watch the development of this kit with interest.  Though given what I put my car through, I'm not sure I'd be an early adopter as I'd like to see the kit proven first before strapping one to my car.

At least this kit will have been properly tested (by deliberately pushing things to, and beyond, the limit I should imagine, many times). And if it does all go wrong, at least you have a warranty  s:) :) s:)

One of the anecdotes relayed to us by Gerald during our meetings was how the Japanese test driver lost the rear light clusters due to overheating in the engine bay after a 2 hour 240kph+ test run. The overheating has now been solved by the additon of the fan, and redesign of the manifold + additional heatshielding.

Basically you can be absolutely certain that TMC have tested the engine with the turbo set at 200bhp to a point well beyond what anyone is going to even get close to on a track day. The brakes (and more importantly the driver) are going to be worn out long before the engine goes bang!

juansolo

Eiiinteresting...
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Chris

Quote from: "juansolo"What I would be interested in is a very reliable, unstressed slug of torque so I expect the 180 kit would be more suitable to my particular application.

Yep, that's what I'm after as well - usable power straight away from any gear!  obviously the longer it then goes on accelerating is just a bonus   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I don't like having to drop a few cogs and then boot it just to get decent acceleration in the top gears...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

mph

Umm, yeah, what Steve said: testing over in Japan includes a continuous 2hrs+ of 100% load / on full boost. Even us trackdayers should be confident of this kit's reliability, IMO.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

[quote="Tem

And also, does the average person have any interest to adjust the suspension at all...or would they just go for some fixed kit like Sportivo.

Having an adjustable suspension is a big advantage, cause instead of having a set that could not suit you, you can yourself adapt the suspension to your own requeriments. That way, with the same piece of equipment you could satisfy quite diferent tastes and needs.  s8) 8) s8)  

Juansolo get satisfaied with a 180hp turbo.  s:( :( s:(  
   I'm not very happy with that power. Apexi turbo gives more then 230 hp (and have a lot of users in Japan) and Lampka is getting 235 hp at only 0.4 bar. I hope TTE turbo can deliver at least 200hp.  s:P :P s:P  

Can you guys that know more then me about turbos  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   what mean the diference of pressure between Lampka turbo and TTE turbo to reach the same power : Lampka 235hp at 0.4 bar, TTe 200hp at 0.65 bar?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  That means the lampka turbo is bigger, or what?  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:

Tem

Quote from: "pp"Having an adjustable suspension is a big advantage

...if a user knows how to tune it properly. Friend of mine has a fully adjustable thingy in his MR2 and TBH, Sportivo does better in almost everything. The adjustable is easier to lower to the ground and make it look good though  s;) ;) s;)  But seriously, if you want more than low looks, I don't think you can just buy an adjustable one and twist it a bit. You should etst and tune and test and tune and...on a track and on smooth roads and on bumpy roads and on gravel roads and on and on and on...

JMHO of course  s8) 8) s8)

QuoteI hope TTE turbo can deliver at least 200hp.

From one local IS200 kit install, I'd say their quotes and real power aren't the same. The quote seems to be on the safe side, promising at least that. Obviously I don't know anything about this specific kit..

Quotewhat mean the diference of pressure between Lampka turbo and TTE turbo to reach the same power : Lampka 235hp at 0.4 bar, TTe 200hp at 0.65 bar?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  That means the lampka turbo is bigger, or what?  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:

Basically yes. Pressure doesn't make power, air(+fuel mixture) does. Generally a bigger turbo moves more air into your engine than a smaller one with same boost and that's what makes the power. Then again a bigger turbo usually has more turbolag and starts boosting on higher revs than the smaller one. Personally I'd want a smallish turbo for such a small car, but YMMV and so on  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "pp"Having an adjustable suspension is a big advantage

...if a user knows how to tune it properly. Friend of mine has a fully adjustable thingy in his MR2 and TBH, Sportivo does better in almost everything. The adjustable is easier to lower to the ground and make it look good though  s;) ;) s;)  But seriously, if you want more than low looks, I don't think you can just buy an adjustable one and twist it a bit. You should etst and tune and test and tune and...on a track and on smooth roads and on bumpy roads and on gravel roads and on and on and on...
QuoteYour friend have a racing suspension? It was not about that I was talking about.
    I know little about motors but have raced motorcycles for 10 years and all the work of tunning the suspensions was made by me, so I know something about that. A good racing shock cost as mutch as the four
Koni adjustables, and could came without a pre-defined set-up. It can be adjusted in three ways (compression, detention, and spring compression) what gives thosands of combinations. It is not a thing to be used on the road, you have to have experience and do a lot of driving to tune it and as you said, it woul be great in a road, and very bad on another.

I'm talking, and a think TTE is talking when refering to adjustable suspensions, to a basic thing with only 6, or so, pre-defined set-ups, that give you, for example two set-ups for trackdays (too hard for road use) and four diferent compromises between efectiveness and confort.
    If this is what we are talking about (changing a knob in six possible positions), then you do not need to know anything about suspensions to foud out what set-up goes better with you, and that is going to satisfy a lot of diferent "costumers", a lot of diferent riding styles.

Anonymous

I thought Lampka was only going to do 180 hp installs (maybe 200 w/o TUV)? (with warranty), we will see once they actually build the kit.

Problem is not to get the hp up, but to maintain reliability which is why TTE is testing it so much.

I dont believe Lampka tested their car throughly which is why they have issues, heck when I emailed them about clutch they told me that stock clutch will have no issues with 200hp (which TTE denies, also Monkeywrench which built many PE turbo's for MR2 says the same thing - stock clutch will go away). Makes you wonder about their whole setup when you hear something like that.

reliability is #1...

mph

I can tell you first hand the stock clutch doesn't last long at 200bhp.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

juansolo

Quote from: "pp"Juansolo get satisfaied with a 180hp turbo.  s:( :( s:(  

My other car produces well over 300bhp/ton with potential for much, much more.  Don't need anymore power from the Mr2 really.  Different ethos though.  The Toyota I need to be reliable and maintenance free, something the Westfield certainly isn't.

QuoteI'm not very happy with that power. Apexi turbo gives more then 230 hp (and have a lot of users in Japan) and Lampka is getting 235 hp at only 0.4 bar. I hope TTE turbo can deliver at least 200hp.  s:P :P s:P  

200bhp should be plenty in a Mr2 and believe me, it isn't big or clever to have an engine stressed to the max to squeeze out that last 2 bhp unless you are racing and have big pockets.  Big numbers are all pub talk IMO.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Jap GT300

QuoteJuansolo get satisfaied with a 180hp turbo.  
I'm not very happy with that power. Apexi turbo gives more then 230 hp (and have a lot of users in Japan) and Lampka is getting 235 hp at only 0.4 bar. I hope TTE turbo can deliver at least 200hp.  

I also remember TTE mentioning that the maximium hp that the stock engine would withstand before you hit problems was 225hp.  The internals apparently aren't reliable above that.

TTE also wanted to leave the turbo at 180hp so that it could be reliably tuned (to an extent) after purchase.  I may be corrected but from what I remember changing just the exhaust and using a downpipe created around 25hp

Adam

Anonymous

Quote from: "

My other car produces well over 300bhp/ton with potential for much, much more.  Don't need anymore power from the Mr2 really.  Different ethos though.  The Toyota I need to be reliable and maintenance free, something the Westfield certainly isn't.
You are a lucky guy.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

For realiability and maintenance free I have a Focus tdci.
  For weekend fun I have only the Mr2. So, diferent game, but I want the car to go as fast as possible, and with maximum driver pleasure, at a reasonable cost. I dont want less then 200hp, possibly more, and I'm prepared to modify the clutch add an oil cooler and a water wetter.
    There are cars in Japan with 260hp. I think that needs a lot of changes, but for 230hp I think you don't need to do a lot of mods. The motor is not going to last the same, but it is going to last for a reasonable period of time (50 000Km?). What do you think  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"However as it (hopefully) will carry a TMC approval and a TMC part number, you should be able t order it all as one order from your dealer.

So for the purposes of insurance it should be classed as factory fit.

Mark, what are you suggesting with that last comment? At first I thought you might mean that it wouldn't have to be declared (insurance-wise) as it's an official piece of TMC kit, but then I realised no way, that's just crazy talk!

I would veeery much like to get me in on this group buy, but I can't say for sure until I know how much extra my premium will be, which I expect cant find out till I know officially the extra power the turbo will give (please correct me if I'm wrong, I have no idea how it works for declaring mods)

Will there be a new thread when this official info is published?
And also, anyone's thoughts on my other comments welcome

And a happy new year to you all, I'm sure you're awaiting spring-time as eagerly as me!

markiii

Steve,

Firstly while I'm not saying it won't happen (you never know) we've not discussed a GB for teh Turbo only the rest of the TTE catalogue.

What I was reffering to for Insurance purposes is that many Insurance Companies are happy to cover dealer fit options, especially those done at time of purchase of teh car but aren't so keen on aftermarket stuff. While I would expect the premium to go up this should make it easier to insure with companies that prefer not to get involved with mods. Direct Line for example, would cover TTE springs but not Eibach's even though the they are more or less the same thing.

Mark.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

OK mate cheers

Tem

From the original article:
"Further, TTE have completed a cross-licensing deal with TRD, with each company willing and able to sell the others? products. Friedel pointed out that TTE is unlikely to hold much stock of TRD?s range and so there may well be a shipping delay, however this greatly eases the availability of products on all continents."

Just noticed this:  s8) 8) s8)
 m http://www.tte.de/tuning/website/order-trd.html m

Anonymous

BUMP

Tem

Quote from: "igenius"BUMP

Why?  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "igenius"BUMP

Why?  s:? :? s:?

This is why:  m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2423 m

I guess they missed this post and didnt want others to do the same.

Anonymous

any news from TTE?

markiii

with regard to?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"with regard to?

tte turbo kit obviously, any news on pricing, power figures, etc. I know you posted that they are looking into having an x frame under the body to strengthen the chasis, stuff like that is interesting to us too  s:) :) s:) .

And I am asking since they said they will finish development end of jan

Tem

Now that the PPE Rocket Header "failed", has anyone heard anything new about TTE turbo..?

They did say "Gerald is confident that kit is 99% approved and expects to ?close development? in January. This means it could be on sale by spring."

mph

Current news (as I documented elsewhere, bad me) is that they are still unsure of the component, but are confident of ship first half of this year.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

Apologies if I missed this in another thread but....
6.5 weeks later, and I need a fix, any news? (and before any silly questions are asked, I mean on the TTE turbo!).

when?
and price?

are the 2 fundamental questions I'd love to be answered
cheers

Tags: