Best Drive so far!!

Started by MRMike, December 4, 2003, 16:37

MRMike

Just got back from a glavant around the Lake district..through the backroads of lancaster to kirby etc..amazing drive, best one to date in the MR.  Pulled up two big points though:

1.  I've recently removed spare wheel (more luggage, more performance i thought) I knew it might upset the handling a little, but i'm amazed at how much it changes it, through fast corners it's not to bad as the car is loaded backwards anyways, but in slow speed corners the increase in understeer is massive. Not sure the < performance = > in handling

2. The brakes which I though were initially pretty fade resistant, succomb after what i would deem a small amount of abuse. As i intend to track day the MR in a few months i'm thinking about changing the pads.  Anyone else changed yet?

3.  An old MGF that i was shadowing blew me away on the straights..It's not one of the new 160 versions either...i'm thinking it must have the VHPD kit, or something else similar.

Anyways amazing drive all the same!  Whats everyone elses best drives up to now?
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"2. The brakes which I though were initially pretty fade resistant, succomb after what i would deem a small amount of abuse. As i intend to track day the MR in a few months i'm thinking about changing the pads.  Anyone else changed yet?

It's more likely that you boiled the fluid; the stock pads stand up to reasonable abuse on track for 15-20 minutes (I know mph will disagree, but then he's a hooligan with his brakes   s:wink: :wink: s:wink: ).

I'd suggest changing the fluid (if only because if you have boiled it, then it's knackered now anyway); search here for "Motul" and or read this thread.

mph

Wot Phil sez   s:) :) s:)  

Standard fluid is only DOT3 and isn't all that difficult to boil. The pads are certainly good enough for road use unless you're driving wrecklessly, IMO. If you're tracking your '2, Motul is suitable and cheap.

Pads - before paying out for high performance stuff, see how you get along once you have decent fluid in. If after tracking you're not happy I can probably still source at reasonable rates, see  m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=557 m  - even I have a problem getting these to fade   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:     s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

MRMike

Thanks guys! It's not a massive problem I just noticed it after really standing on the anchors for a few corners.  They are very good as standard, the ABS set up seems absolutely bang on. Incidentally I was merely doing this in the interests of science! I will defo change the fluid as per your recco's and leave it at that as i know from experience that you can completely over engineer the brakes for road use, I had Brembo 4 pots with drilled discs and Red stuff pads on my last car, and while good for track were absolutely frightening on the road when cold especially on a wet motorway.  Hitting the brake pedal and having nothing happen means sooner or later your gonna have a bad time!

Thanks again Guys!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Tem

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"1.  I've recently removed spare wheel (more luggage, more performance i thought) I knew it might upset the handling a little, but i'm amazed at how much it changes it, through fast corners it's not to bad as the car is loaded backwards anyways, but in slow speed corners the increase in understeer is massive. Not sure the < performance = > in handling

Anyways amazing drive all the same!  Whats everyone elses best drives up to now?

Yeah, the spare makes a huge difference. The front kinda keeps sliding all over the place without it...but then it hurts straight line acceleration. I wish there was a way to remove it for straights and shopping drives and install it for corners  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

About the best drives...this is it for the twisty bits. For straight line, a '71 Corona  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

MRMike

nice idea Tem..maybe a switch that drops the tire through the floor if you ever get an Elise behind you..then you can pick it up later?? no i didn't think so either

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

mph

Tem - get some tyres that you can drop the pressure on them below stock, I'm currently using 26psi (cold) at the front on A539s and all is happy.

Oh, make sure you have a strut brace installed, and member braces if not on the '03 - you'll be amazed how well that helps too!
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "mph"Tem - get some tyres that you can drop the pressure on them below stock, I'm currently using 26psi (cold) at the front on A539s and all is happy.

Oh, make sure you have a strut brace installed, and member braces if not on the '03 - you'll be amazed how well that helps too!

I'm starting to think that my current tyres suck. Bigtime. Not because they are Bridgestone Potenza S03's, but because they are 205/50 and 225/50 on stock rims (couldn't get narrower than 205's when I needed them and didn't want 205's all around either). Seems the tyres are just too wide on the stock rim widths and need extra pressure to stay in shape. And that kills the grip...the spare gives a lot of it back though.

I do have the Sportivo with both strut braces and the member brace set  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: