80/20 Washing tip...

Started by zud, December 8, 2003, 09:54

zud

I'm a big fan of Mer polish as it gives a good shine on the '2 but also cuts through all sorts of cr@p, even on the hull of on my boat.  So I thought I'd try their shampoo.  Like the polish, it's not cheap, but I was quite pleased with the results.  

Then this weekend I noticed in the smallprint that it suggests putting a couple of caps of Mer polish in with the shampoo when washing the car.  So I gave it a go... a quick wash and chamois... and it looks great!!    s:D :D s:D  
To be fair, I only waxed the car three weeks ago, but it's been quite dirty in between, and it looks more like I've only just waxed it!!   s:D :D s:D  

Now, I'm not claiming results as good as you 4-6 hour chaps, but its a good 80/20 job (80% result from 20% effort).  Certainly worth a try if you already use Mer polish.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Slacey

Good tip... I wonder if the same would work with Autoglym products   s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

zud

Quote from: "Slacey"Good tip... I wonder if the same would work with Autoglym products   s:?: :?: s:?:

I seem to remember Buster mixes various products.  But I can't remember if Autoglym was involoved.  

The Mer shampoo actually recommended, so it might be worth a look at the small-print on the Autoglym shampoo.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

aaronjb

Might try that - I used to use Mer (still have a bottle, somewhere, I think..)

However, is it just me who can never seem to actually wash the car without leaving huuuge smears all over it, making it look worse than when I started? Whatever I do, whatever the weather, it always seems to dry all smeary before I get there with the chamois  s:( :( s:(

Maybe it's because I don't have a very good hose (can't turn it off at the hose, otherwise it blows off the tap in the kitchen, and covers the place in water..   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Really must put an outside tap in   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ).. Or I'm just cr@p at washing cars  s:) :) s:)

Think I might get the local valeters out!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

I don't have a hose... and always have to wax it because I get water marks otherwise.

Slacey

I use a silicone blade and chamois, never get any water marks using those straight after each other.

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"However, is it just me who can never seem to actually wash the car without leaving huuuge smears all over it, making it look worse than when I started? Whatever I do, whatever the weather, it always seems to dry all smeary before I get there with the chamois  s:( :( s:(

Here's something that works for me...I keep the car wet all the time and don't let it dry before using the chamois. First pressure wash the most dirt away, then wash the top, hose the top, wash the windows, hose the top and windows, wash the front hood, hose the top, windows and hood...and so on.

When you're done washing, nothing has started to dry, but everything is still wet. Then get the chamois and first do a quick round around the car to get the most off (which still leaves it a bit moist) and then get the rest as well -> no marks, just mirrorshine  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

On the subject of washing/polishing, I have seen a number of soft top kits in Halfords. These seem to have a washing solution and then a seperate condtioner. Have any of you tried these? Are they any good?
Stuart

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blackrat"On the subject of washing/polishing, I have seen a number of soft top kits in Halfords. These seem to have a washing solution and then a seperate condtioner. Have any of you tried these? Are they any good?
Stuart

This has been discussed before. I personally use the turtlewax softtop & conditioner kit on mine.

Slacey

I think most of those kits are for fabric tops, ours is vinyl - check before you buy.

aaronjb

I'm glad it's not just me who ends up with a streaky car.. I think I really need to get that outside tap in - turning the hose off by running across the (usually muddy) garden, then trailing mud all over the kitchen floor to get to the tap gets annoying, so I usually just rinsed, washed then rinsed off, then dried..

Outside tap with a pressure washer would be luvverly.. Now where's me drill?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice about the soft top conditioners. I saw the Turtlewax one in Halfords, but strangley when I went to the Turtlewax web site it is not listed as a product. I think I will get some and give it a go
Stuart

Anonymous

Blackrat

At JAE this year several of us were using the Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care spray. It gets all the grime off the hood and restores the colour. I found it is also good for tyres ( works on a similar principle to "Back to Black" as it's silicone based).

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I use the turtle wax one too, its good.  Keep an eye out in Halfords as they are often doing two for one deals in there.  I have a garage full of the stuff now   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Roger H"Blackrat

At JAE this year several of us were using the Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care spray. It gets all the grime off the hood and restores the colour. I found it is also good for tyres ( works on a similar principle to "Back to Black" as it's silicone based).

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Please be aware that Autoglym recommend the BumperCare gunk for our roofs, not the vinyl and rubber spray (http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=109).

Slacey

Quote from: "phil4"Please be aware that Autoglym recommend the BumperCare gunk for our roofs, not the vinyl and rubber spray
This is true, I use the bumpercare - I can't see any reason why you couldn't use the Vinyl & Rubber stuff though, but I seem to remember someone saying it streaks down all the windows when it rains  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"This is true, I use the bumpercare - I can't see any reason why you couldn't use the Vinyl & Rubber stuff

I doubt it's to do with damage, but probably more to do with not being as beneficial and protecting.

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"However, is it just me who can never seem to actually wash the car without leaving huuuge smears all over it, making it look worse than when I started? Whatever I do, whatever the weather, it always seems to dry all smeary before I get there with the chamois  s:( :( s:(
Have you tried dropping a Calgon tablet in your Body Shampoo mix?  This will sort out all the calcium deposits in the water and hopefully reduce the white marks you say you're getting.     Also, I have noticed much better results after washing since using the 'AutoGlym Aqua-Dry' chamois leather....?  Maybe this will do a better job of getting all that excess H2O off?

Just a suggestion...

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Tags: