Wheel sizes. Hmmm

Started by Anonymous, December 8, 2003, 16:37

Anonymous

I understand that the '03 spec of the MR2 has 16" wheels at the back and 15" at the front.  This begs the question of how big is the (single) spare wheel and will it fit on either axle?

Anonymous

you dont really want to be puting the spare on the back unless you want to spin your car all the way to the tyre place! IIRC you are supposed to put the front on the back and the spare on the front.

But the wheels are not that much different in size (rolling radius) as they have differrent profile tyres on.

SimonC_Here

At the North weald track day, Sean (after a puncture) was driving around for a bit on the space saver.
The rest of his wheels are 17"   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

It did look funny though.

S

Slacey

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"At the North weald track day, Sean (after a puncture) was driving around for a bit on the space saver.
The rest of his wheels are 17"   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

It did look funny though.
It did look utterly ridiculous (did anyone get a pic of that?), but to be honest, it drove OK! (After I tightened the wheel bolts  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Chris

Quote from: "Slacey"It did look utterly ridiculous (did anyone get a pic of that?), but to be honest, it drove OK! (After I tightened the wheel bolts  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )

Yep I did - i'll have to find it and upload it.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

With reference to putting the front on the back, I think I read somewhere that there is a notch on the rears which prevents the fronts going on (or was it the other way around?  Or am I just imagining things again...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

markiii

their a locating pin on the rear wheels that prevent them from being fitted to the front, by mistake.

the fronts will fit the rear though if you have to.

The pin can be removed it you want to, it's threaded and just screws out.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: