5am on a Saturday...

Started by Paulpickerill, August 10, 2007, 10:03

Paulpickerill

5am on a Saturday used to be bedtime after good night out.

In recent years 5am is the first visit to the loo after a good night's sleep   s:( :( s:(  

However, this week 5am on a Saturday is what time the alarm is set for, before we head out the door to the airport, drink overpriced coffee for 45 minutes, and get on the 06:45 flight to Manchester.

At 8am we get a ride up to Rochdale, where we collect our MR2  s:D :D s:D

This immaculate (apart from a few stonechips on the front) 78,000 miler was first registered in October 2000 by the current and only owner, and has since been covered by MrT's extended warranty and returned to him for every little thing. It is entirely unmolested, and is exactly as MrT intended, right down to the standard peeling alloys (the third set, but as it is still under extended warranty I'll hopefully get them swapped over).

After a trip to Oldham to see my folks for lunch, the 5 hour drive back to Plymouth will be followed by a visit on monday to s sympathetic garage to remove the precats (which still look fine).

It seems a lot of palaver for a 7 year old car, but knowing the owner, the history, and the £5k price tag, it  seems worth it. Car is very red, black leather, aircon, but no hardtop.

I even persuaded my wife to dispose of the old paint tins and boxes so that it will fit in the garage, before finding that Elephant INCREASE the premium by a fiver compared to us keeping it on the drive. I never realised they'd seen my wife reverse    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'm more excited about this than when I bought the Ducati.

Paul

uktotty

Sounds like an exciting day and of course the benefit over the Ducati is that you dont need to go out in pairs so that you can both get back.

Anonymous

Of course you are, because the 2 won't be permanently broken down like the duke! Get a triumph mate, lot less bother than Italian exotica.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Which duke is it btw? If its a supersports i forgive you.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

olliex1

May I be the first to welcome you into the South West MR2 fold!! Always good to know there's someone else down here.

Hopefully some of us can sort another meet out now the sun has put in an appearance, so it'd be good to see a new owner there!
2002---Black---Red Leather---Red brake calipers---Anthracite Stock Wheels---TTE Lowering springs---Corky\'s Breastplate---Gutted pre-cats---Ducktail Spoiler---Red J Spec Nose Badge---Dev\'s Keyhole Covers---Clear Side Indicators---Apexi Power Intake---H&S Twin Exhaust

Paulpickerill

In no particular order..

Quotethe benefit over the Ducati is that you dont need to go out in pairs so that you can both get back.
That's what the AA card and mobile phone are for   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

QuoteWhich duke is it btw? If its a supersports i forgive you
A supersport, a red 748   s:D :D s:D  
Not let me down yet (although mainly used for trackdays), it usually sits in the garage next to the VFRs.
I did sell the Fireblade, FZR400, and 250 racebike to make room though.

QuoteMay I be the first to welcome you into the South West MR2 fold!! Always good to know there's someone else down here.
Thanks a lot - I look forwards to meeting some folk.
The idea of the 2 is so that we can go out and do things, rather than me buggering off on the bike leaving my wife to weed the garden, cos then I feel guilty, and don't use the bike much.

Paul

Anonymous

Bike is in for mot as i type, only done 97 miles since the last one.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Wuhey Devon, where abouts are you?

Paulpickerill

QuoteWuhey Devon, where abouts are you?

Plymouth - see reply to your post about paintshops.

We drove the car back on Saturday, 5 hours of weekend holiday goers on the M6/M5,   s:( :( s:(  

First impression, not as fast as I expected, no kick up the arse when it gets to 4k, it just gets faster in a linear fashion. A bit like the Ducati in that respect, you suddenly realise the rev limiter has kicked in and you're going mumble mph. The progress is made by not having to slow down much for corners   s:) :) s:)  

A bit noisy on the m/way, so we put the roof up. A lot quieter then, but has the rear visibility of a small van, I guess we're used to my estate car.

Got back to the airport, picked my car up whilst Mrs took Mr2 home. Suddenly my car felt a bit bargelike!

Mr2 fits in garage, but the only way out is to climb over it. I think next Sunday we'll shift a few more garden implements.

Unfortunately I had to leave it with the Mrs this week as I had a car boot full of garage contents for freecycle/the tip. Still, she's down for the National Fireworks Championship on Weds night, so I might get a go in it then   s:D :D s:D  

Paul

Tags: