DNA 3Sixty (Ferrari 360 look-a-like)

Started by cdrskull, August 10, 2007, 20:06

cdrskull

HI peeps, dont shoot me if this is in the wrong forum.. Spit came round today and collected some mk3 2003> rear lights.. We chatted for a bit and I decided to share afew pics with you about my project.

This is what the end result should look like... (the pics are of the finished KIT not a Ferrari 360)

ok without the donor I think it will cost me about £12k to complete.

my donor was a cat D 03 plate MR2 Roadster in silver...this is where I'm upto so far  :-) :-) :-)  
The below is just copied and pasted from forums I am already posting a diary, but thought it might tempt afew people here  :-) :-) :-)

DAY 1

Well I finally made a start stripping my Mr2 Roadster (Spyder) or whatever you call it.  Its taken me around 3 hours to strip all of the panels off the car and remove the exhaust. That includes 3 cups of coffee and taking pictures of all the panels (for eBay), tidying up and putting the car back in the garage.  :-) :-) :-)

I have never stripped a Mr2 before, and did it just by feel, no instructions or anything so I think anyone should be able to do what I did in 3 hours, as I must of spent 20 mins looking for tools I knew I had but couldnt find.

Tomorrow if the weather is good I will be trimming the doors and preping the rear end ready for the kit coming later this week. I will also be ordering some tyres for my 360 rims ready to fit them next week.

I wont be rushing this build as it doesnt need to be ready for anything, but I would like it finished before December (cold weather sets in)

no turning back now !!!

The above pics shows the hood drain holes which you should clean out whilst you have the chance, they just pull off. Rinse them under a tap and clean any crap out of them, if these block then your carpets will get wet !! you can raise your hood a little and rinse them through with water if you want as well  :-) :-) :-)

ok tomorrow is grinding day  :-) :-) :-)

DAY 2

Right, spent about 3 hours today on the car. I havent done as much as I expected but did need to go to the shop (cutting disc's) and call DNA up for some quick advice about cutting the doors ready. I managed to strip both doors and remove the glass. I then marked out both outer skin doors that need cutting and also manged to get one side cut + the middle skin done. I only need to bend over the inner skin now and thats one door finished. So I only expect it to take 40 mins max to complete the other door as well. Most of today was spent checking , checking and re-checking my cut lines and making sure I wasnt going to do anything stupid. It would only take me 2 hours now to do both doors. But I would allocate 5 hours to this job for the first time. I also trimmed the rear bumper as I'm going for the DNA Exhaust (£350) as its sounds really good  :-) :-) :-)

Below is a pic of my markings on the outer skin

Below is a pic of the outer and middle skin cut, only the inner to fold in, 5 mins of a job I hope.

What I would say is I havent done any grinding for about 10 years, so it took me a while to get back into it. Its quite easy really, I was dreading this part of the build, but I had no problems at all. Just take your time  ;D

I will post tomorrow with pics of the other door done and the inner door bent ready for the DNA Door cards, but thats about all I can do. The cars then ready for the kit.. Total time around 8 hours, so I could get a car ready in a day now no problems at all  :-) :-) :-)

I still need to extend the fuel pipes but the bits for that are in the kit. I wont be picking it up till Monday now as thats the next free day I have and the van I'm hiring is cheaper during week days. O yeah picking up some suspension bits as well so I can get my wheels on  :-) :-) :-)

Steve

DAY 3

Done to fit the Ferrari 18 inch rims

ok, went and got a 7ib sledge hammer from the local diy shop (£12.99) also bought a tin of underseal and a spray tin of it as well.

After spending 15 mins, hitting these joints last night with my hammer, trying to make them flat and not getting anywhere I was worried it might take me all day today.. 10 mins with the BIG F'in Hammer (my new best friend) and each side was done  :-) :-) :-)  . I then got the grinder out again and tidyed both sides up and then wire brushed both bits and got my underseal out..

Whilst I had the paint pot out I did the rear bumber bits where I had shorted them and also the doors.. ... I know I neednt of used all that on the doors, but I got carried away.. lol

I also hoovered out the bottom of the inside of the doors where loads of metal bits had gone from grinding. I got what I could out, but then used the spray tin of underseal to coat the whole of the bottom panel.. I mean loads as well  :-) :-) :-)  so thats it all done and dusted.. back in the garage now till Tuesday now.

Total time so far spent, including looking for tool etc.. 14 hours approx. however I think I could cut this down to 8 next time.

Heres some pic's  :-) :-) :-)

cheers

Steve

DAY 4

phew... what a day its been. but I'm now home and its all fitted in my garage  :-) :-) :-)

Just want to say thanks to DNA for making it all SOOOOO EASY. They spent ages going through all the bits, and I have to be honest if I only remember 10% of everything they said it will be enough to finish the car.

Right... I came home and started to unload all the bits, everything can be lifted by one person, but you need two to fit the rear section.. hence the guy across the road here got a knock on his door.

So I needed to place the rear over my car straightaway as I dont have anywhere to store it. so I reversed my car out, opened both doors and slide the rear section into place. Now I'm very happy with this quick fit, I think I will only need to trim one tiny tiny bit by a few mm's and the rear will be in place ready for bonding and fixing to the car.  I want to do the fuel pipes / rear springs first mind..

I have took a quick pic of everything just put in the garage as I wont be able to do much work on it since my eldest lad (4) finishes nursery tomorrow and doesnt start school till september. (talk about bad timing). but I will try.

I know its looks a mess, but the rear sections nearly on  :-) :-) :-)  the front will be just as easy., then its a case of just aligning all the panels up, DNA gave me plenty of tips on this.. so I'm confident I should be able to do it all within a few day.. IF I can get afew day free.. time to buy some flowers for the wife me thinks  :-) :-) :-)

Steve

OK thats it for now, not done nothing more but got my tyres on the rims. I will try and do some more next week
DNA 3Sixty Conversion
www.dnaoc.co.uk - Owners Club
www.bluepc.co.uk - Bolton PC Repairs (my new venture)

Wabbitkilla

Impressive - you're putting a lot of effort into this and i must say progress is very good. I'd love to see you keep us updated with pictures and stories, plus see it in the flesh.

Have you thought any about boosting the power, improving suspension, big brakes and chassis stiffness?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

cdrskull

Hi m8  :-) :-) :-)  yeah. part of the kit involves dropping the rear end by fitting new springs, there 80mm shorter I think from memory and fitting 70mm spacers. The front you need to reposition the hub and extend the track rod ends and fit 35mm spacers. I did drive the mr2 for a couple of months and to be honest was very impressed with the way it handles. I will be fitting a new exhaust system but I was looking into boosting its power to over 220bhp with the idea in getting the 0-60 down to around 5 seconds. That would just complete the project.

anyones more than welcome to come and have a look. My little lad starts school in sept and hes just finished nursery so I'm looking after him all the time.. so thinks wont move as quick as I would like, but hey its only for a few weeks.

I am also installing a PC into it and writing my own software. I have bought the satnav pod and installed vga touchscreen.. I will also be putting a second one where the double din stereo is now..

I have sprayed the ac surround and my clocks surround silver so they look similar to the 360.

so.. yep its a big project  :-) :-) :-)
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

Anonymous

Thoroughly impressive project Steve, please kep the thread up to date with your progress.

Good luck   s:D :D s:D

spit

Hi Steve.

Great to meet you today and mooch around your garage  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

What I saw of the kit looks really impressive. I have to say that the quality of the mouldings is way better than I'd been led to believe.... but maybe I was thinking of a different kit!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

And those wheels .... pure drool!

As the other guys have said, please keep us posted... and if you need a local pair of willing hands, just shout.

Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "spit"Hi Steve.

As the other guys have said, please keep us posted... and if you need a local pair of willing hands, just shout.

Ste

Oh yessssss!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Liz

I saw your ad on ebay and the mention that you was doing the 360 conversion and I was tempted to contact you via text to tell you about the club, but as luck would have it, you met our Ste and have turned up here, very interesting project, look forward to the updates on it.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Steve! are some of the bits you took off available! i mean are you selling them off?

Chris

Anonymous

Absolutely fantastic project, and a terrific idea to keep a diary of all the work. I've always said that I like the 360 kit on the MR2, and despite the fact that I expect the car to handle like a dog after you've finished it, I am in absolute awe of your engineering skills and sheer balls to take this project on!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   s8) 8) s8)

PE turbo kit for the extra power? Will bolt up to your exhaust without any other mods, although I guess while you're there it's not too much hassle to do anything else really! I tell you what would be awesome though: 2ZZ in there with the Kakimoto exhaust: That's as close to a screamer of an engine Ferrari-style as I've ever heard in the flesh.

markiii

I must be the only one who'd be embarrased to be seen driving it then  s:-( :-( s:-(
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ChrisGB

Quote from: "markiii"I must be the only one who'd be embarrased to be seen driving it then  s:-( :-( s:-(

You are not alone  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

spit

Elements of this appeal to me, and I've seen '2s with way more embarrassing bodykits(!), but I understand your train of thought. Its certainly not for everyone but thats a good thing: if we all had one it'd be really dull  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: .

As a project I think its fascinating.  s8) 8) s8)
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Wabbitkilla

We're thinking along the same lines there again Ste.

Very interesting project, i'm not partial to body kits per se, but this appeals to another side. For me it's like a kit car thing that fascinated me when I was younger. The process is as important as the finished product and miles better than Customize Bodyworkz type things   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

cdrskull

Hi all, yeah I agree this isnt for everyone and some will laugh, some will frown but others will be very interested. The 360 is a car I've always wanted but even if I could afford the 60k+ for the spider version I very much doubt I would ever buy one, due to the amount of money it would loose and I'm sure the wife would prefer spending the money upgrading our house and to be honest so would I.

In the end I'm hoping I will end up with a car with similar looks but with the mr2 running cost which would be awesome  :-) :-) :-)

Max power did a artical on the DNA car afew months back which some of you might be interested in. its at  m http://www.maxpower.co.uk/article.asp?asset=1770&p=10 m  I think this car is also in the autotrader (birmingham) for £28k at the mo.

Anyway, will get the rear panel and front panel on next week and I'm also hoping to get the rear 360 rims on after I've done the fuel pipe and springs/spacers, I'm waiting on new front lower wish arms before I can fit the front wheels

I will keep posting updateds no probs, but lets not turn this thread into a 'I would / wouldnt' build one poll type thing. I've heard it all before.. lol

cheers

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

Liz

How do the cars compare in size, ie - it is exactly the same scale as the real thing?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

cdrskull

Quote from: "Liz"How do the cars compare in size, ie - it is exactly the same scale as the real thing?

Morning Liz, its the same width but 4 inchs shorter and 3/4 inch lower from memory.. so its not far off really. It uses ferrari lights / wheels / rear deck glass / grills. which arnt cheap.. lol

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

TJK

Good luck on an amazing and ambitious project!

I dread to think what the extra weight would do for performance and handling! Think what you could do to an MR-S for £20,000!. You could have a truly unique and very quick car. Surely a turbo is a necessity otherwise you're going to be embarrassed at every set of traffic lights!
[size=75]EX -[/size][size=75] 1999 MR-S - TTE spoiler [/color]- TTE exhaust - TTE style bar - TTE chrome - 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 - Adjustable Springs[/size]

uktotty

Looks great, I like it.
One question! If the donor car is a cat C/ CatD will the finished project be a recorded write off the day you regsiter it?

Also thanks for the rear lights Steve  s:) :) s:)

markiii

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"We're thinking along the same lines there again Ste.

Very interesting project, i'm not partial to body kits per se, but this appeals to another side. For me it's like a kit car thing that fascinated me when I was younger. The process is as important as the finished product and miles better than Customize Bodyworkz type things   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I'm not going to turn this into a don't do it thread, because I'd put this nto the same category as some of Perrys mods, i.e I'd congratulate you on a quality job even if our tastes don't always agree.

my main issue with this isn't the replica thing (though I'd prbably stop short  of Ferrari badging) I've seen some fantastic Ferrari and Lambo replicas over the years. And what makes them kits is they come with dedicated suspension and chassis to make it nigh on perfect.

whatever the quality of the kit and the install I've seen these upclose and they don't fool me for a minute, and really it's nothing more than a glorified bodykit as it uses the stock chassis.

sorry but thats me.

However I do look forward to seeing how good a job you do of it, as I would with any non replica kit, I shall follow the build with interest
  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "bossman23780"Steve! are some of the bits you took off available! i mean are you selling them off?

Chris

uktotty

They have all gone mate I purchased the rear lights, front ones have gone, there were a couple of plastic body parts left on ebay.

MR2 Roadster 2003 PASSANGER SIDE REAR QUARTER + VENT   £35.00
 Pick up only    18d 15h 56m  
    MR2 Roadster 2003 EXHAUST   £35.00
 Pick up only    18d 15h 57m  
    MR2 Roadster 2003 DRIVERS WING + CLEAR INDICATOR   £20.00
    MR2 Roadster 2003 DRIVERS SIDE REAR QUARTER + VENT   £30.00
    MR2 Roadster 2003 BOOT LID + BREAK LIGHT

Anonymous

I want something off the interior door panels though! did he sell them too!

Anonymous

*MOD* Bossman, can I please ask to to make any requests for parts either in the Private Sales forum or (even better) PM Steve directly. Any more off-topic stuff will be summarily deleted from this thread - Dan

cdrskull

At last.. managed to spend a few hours on the car tonight. Just finished as it was going dark.

Today I extended the fuel pipes, trimmed the back up alittle more so it fits lots better and fitted one rear spring, spacer and 360 wheel. Tomorrow after tea I will do the otherside which should only take me 40 mins I think.

Here are afew pics so you can see what I've been upto. Once I have done the other side then I will be fitting the front and starting on the doors  :-) :-) :-)

So I feel like I've actually got somewhere today. Will be even more happy tomorrow  :-) :-) :-)

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

kanujunkie

bloody hell  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

thats some seriously impressive work, keep up the good work Steve
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: