DNA 3Sixty (Ferrari 360 look-a-like)

Started by cdrskull, August 10, 2007, 20:06

Anonymous

Love it, whilst at the same time agreeing with Markiii.

However, the important point here for the forum is the amount of work you are doing, and therefore the amount of potential information you can impart by sharing via this thread.

This promises to be a fascinating thread to follow and i wish you every luck in the build, i wish i had your skills and confidence to attempt such a project.

I'm sure there will be some swearing along the way, and many a time you wish you hadn't started, but equally sure the sense of pride and achievement you will have on completion, will far outweigh the former.

MR-S

Kit looks wicked. If the fit is as good as the pics on DNA's website would suggest then it'll be a great kit car to build. As others have said it looks like a mammoth project to undertake so bigtime respect to you.
To do it completely right you'll need a full big brake kit though, there's a good few 355 replicas knockin about Ireland and you know them straight away cos of the big wheels and tiny brakes combo.

If only you good get an exhaust kit to give it that distinctive ferrari sound - perhaps you could keep a swarm of angry hornets in a paint can and give them a shake from time to time.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The best of luck with the project and I hope it all turns out great for you.
TRD lip kit, Che Headers, TRD rear Brace, NGK Plugs, TRD oil filter, Facelift side Vents, Key hole covers.

rtbiscuit

i'm following this thread intently, like others i can't make my mind up, i like them, but i wouldn't do one. ( i have my eyes set on another project)

what i am impressed with is the speed that your working at.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  its great to see such enthusiasm and dedication.

good luck with all the work, i can't wait to see this at the next stage.

i don't want to teach grandma to suck eggs, but have you thought about some of the mods we do on here, mainly the added body stiffners, strut bars etc, this will help improve the performance no end and keep the car alot more stable round the twisties.

as for power, keep an eye out for what soe other people will be doing in the next month or so, but i've heard you can get a v6 in the back of the 2.

turbo's are good, but i'm sure more of an NA sound would be better, the 2ZZ engine swap is also a good possibility, 190BHP as standard but some have them tuned up to 220 bhp, and theirs nothing to say you can't turbo on top of that.

i would also look into right hide adjustable suspension, that is going to sit extremely low and the ability to raise and lower the car a bit could make a huge difference around speed bumps etc.

and if your really dedicated and what to change the interior check out centre consoles on here you can make big changes to the interior of the car and steer away from traditional mr2 interiors and really make the car unique.

any ways i've said enough for now. have fun and enjoy the work!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

cdrskull

Quote from: "MR-S"To do it completely right you'll need a full big brake kit though, there's a good few 355 replicas knockin about Ireland and you know them straight away cos of the big wheels and tiny brakes combo.

If only you good get an exhaust kit to give it that distinctive ferrari sound - perhaps you could keep a swarm of angry hornets in a paint can and give them a shake from time to time.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I'm going to get some 2mm machined discs with a few holes and bits on them and put them on the inside of the alloy, then I'm going to get some false brake calipers and stick these on as well, below is a pic of a guy whos done just this.. I think they look great  :-) :-) :-)

DNA already do an exhuast kit (£350) and yep.. it does sound sortof like a ferrari. I was really worried about the sound until I heard it.. very impressed  :-) :-) :-)  I went to Oulton Park a month or two ago and had a good listern to the real thing (ferrari trackday).. and the DNA one sounds awesome.. honest. I had to hear it to believe it mind. When I get mine I willl mp3 it so you can all hear it.. they might even sell it to 2 owners here who knows.

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"i don't want to teach grandma to suck eggs, but have you thought about some of the mods we do on here, mainly the added body stiffners, strut bars etc, this will help improve the performance no end and keep the car alot more stable round the twisties.

as for power, keep an eye out for what soe other people will be doing in the next month or so, but i've heard you can get a v6 in the back of the 2.

turbo's are good, but i'm sure more of an NA sound would be better, the 2ZZ engine swap is also a good possibility, 190BHP as standard but some have them tuned up to 220 bhp, and theirs nothing to say you can't turbo on top of that.

i would also look into right hide adjustable suspension, that is going to sit extremely low and the ability to raise and lower the car a bit could make a huge difference around speed bumps etc.

and if your really dedicated and what to change the interior check out centre consoles on here you can make big changes to the interior of the car and steer away from traditional mr2 interiors and really make the car unique.

any ways i've said enough for now. have fun and enjoy the work!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Hi m8, thanks for the info, I'm all a bit of a newbie so on the 2 so any advice is most welcome. I will be doing the 360 suspension mods first then seeing how it rides, if I'm unhappy then I will start changing things.. but I want to see what its like first so I know if I do anything if it improves it or not, if that makes sense.

As for the engine, yes I defo agree something needs to be done and this is defo the right place for info and help on doing it without a doubt !. My engine had done 48k at the moment. I also wont have any money for engine mods will next year so will need to be stock for a bit. The first plan was to save around 5k up and get a TTE fitted and thats about it, but if you guys (girls) can recommend a cheaper option then I might be able to do this sooner.

As for the interior, yes please more ideas... I want it to look similar as much as I can to the 360, different clocks or surrounds will defo help. The center console is being pulled out and sprayed silver and I will be getting some 360 doorcard look-a-likes. My seats are going in to be recovered with doorcards and gater soon(ish)...

so much to do, and no time to do it in.. lol

thanks

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion
www.dnaoc.co.uk - Owners Club
www.bluepc.co.uk - Bolton PC Repairs (my new venture)

uktotty

Quote from: "uktotty"Looks great, I like it.
One question! If the donor car is a cat C/ CatD will the finished project be a recorded write off the day you regsiter it?

markiii

just a thought, but if your having teh seats and door card retrimmed anyway

you might one to sell/trade your existing leather out first

then it may pay for itself
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

I seem to remember 5 grand could get you 400bhp from someone we know  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

aaronjb

Quote from: "cdrskull"I'm going to get some 2mm machined discs with a few holes and bits on them and put them on the inside of the alloy, then I'm going to get some false brake calipers and stick these on as well

Oh dear god.  I've seen it all now - I thought those abominations were reserved for Nova owners who wanted to cover up their rear drum brakes with something less embarassing.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

cdrskull

Quote from: "uktotty"
Quote from: "uktotty"Looks great, I like it.
One question! If the donor car is a cat C/ CatD will the finished project be a recorded write off the day you regsiter it?

I have two choice I think, but I do need to look into this further... I can either just class it as a mr2 with a body kit in which case I just use the normal v5, its a cat D so its only held by hpi.. OR If I go through the SVA or whatever its call class test and register it as a new car.. it will keep its own reg but wither I get a new v5 or not is another question.. need to do some research on this.
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

cdrskull

Quote from: "markiii"just a thought, but if your having the seats and door card retrimmed anyway

you might one to sell/trade your existing leather out first

then it may pay for itself

I have thought about it, there red leather and arnt in bad condition and with door cards to match. I would be prepared to exchange for the right price but only if it doesnt effect the recover process if you know what I mean.

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

markiii

it shouldn't do
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

cdrskull

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "cdrskull"I'm going to get some 2mm machined discs with a few holes and bits on them and put them on the inside of the alloy, then I'm going to get some false brake calipers and stick these on as well

Oh dear god.  I've seen it all now - I thought those abominations were reserved for Nova owners who wanted to cover up their rear drum brakes with something less embarassing.

Hi m8, I know its not everyones cup-a-tea, but its the overall effect I'm after. If I hadnt told you they were false in the picture.. would you know ? I doubt it to be honest...... and thats the result I'm after !

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

Anonymous

Personally I think its great, not only in looks, but also in the project as a whole, and I congratulate you on the work that you are putting into this.  Your right in that it might not be every ones cup of tea, but then the world would be such a boring place if everyone had the same opinion.  

The finished article actually looks quite impressive, and to a lot of people they wont actually know that its a Toyota underneath !

Just out of interest...... whats happening with your key ?? hehe ^^

You able to get a 'Ferrari' one ??

markiii

the result your after is that people are fooled into thinking you have big brakes? fair enough

if thats teh ethos with teh whole car though I feel you will be dissapointed

they might not recognise it as an MR2 but anyone who knows cars isn't going to think it's a 360 either.

cdrskull

thought about the key, option 1 would be to just fill in the logo and spray the key plastics, second option would be to go for something like this..  m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Alarm-w-Immob ... dZViewItem m

As for fooling people.. thats the challange  :-) :-) :-)  On another note once I have got the car built, then I will start installing my car pc, that when the fun starts as I'm very much into the carpc scene and a believe I could help lots of members out on this.

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

markiii

Quote from: "cdrskull"As for fooling people.. thats the challange  :-) :-) :-)  
Steve

it sure will be  :-) :-) :-)

Liz

Please help my curiosity on this - how do you stand legally with putting Ferrari badges on something that isn't acutally a Ferrari?  By this I mean if someone from Ferrari happened to see it and saw it as a kit, could they do anything?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

markiii

to the individual no, too teh company possibly

several really good 250GTO replicas were sued out of existence in teh late 80s

Anonymous

My guess would be is that they're fully aware of the kit and don't see it as competition. There was a case a few years ago with regards to one of the Ferrari kits (possibly a 355 one) that sailed too close to the mark and had the Italians reaching for their lawyer's phone number, but since then there's been loads of different kits released and I think Ferrari now see them as an oddity, rather than a financial threat.

*EDIT* Or what Mark said.

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "cdrskull"On another note once I have got the car built, then I will start installing my car pc, that when the fun starts as I'm very much into the carpc scene and a believe I could help lots of members out on this.

I'd be interested in hearing more about what you're planning to do in this regard.

I've been toying with the idea of mounting a mac mini in a single DIN slot.   With the new, compact Apple bluetooth keyboard, a NAVPod and touch screen, a power supply and adapter kit, you're in business.  I figure the whole thing can be done for about £800-900, not including software.  It gives you GPS, an interface to music (iTunes+Apple Front Row) way better than anything else out there, not to mention internet access and a bluetooth phone interface.  

One concern would be playing MP3s off the computer's hard drive, since there's no buffer or shock protection on a mac mini, as far as I know.  But there's nothing stopping you using iTunes to play off an iPod....

The beauty of this solution is that if you felt that Windows had better software, the mac mini is a dual boot machine: you could either boot into windows or run windows apps in a virtual machine.

cdrskull

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"
Quote from: "cdrskull"On another note once I have got the car built, then I will start installing my car pc, that when the fun starts as I'm very much into the carpc scene and a believe I could help lots of members out on this.

I'd be interested in hearing more about what you're planning to do in this regard.

I've been toying with the idea of mounting a mac mini in a single DIN slot.   With the new, compact Apple bluetooth keyboard, a NAVPod and touch screen, a power supply and adapter kit, you're in business.  I figure the whole thing can be done for about £800-900, not including software.  It gives you GPS, an interface to music (iTunes+Apple Front Row) way better than anything else out there, not to mention internet access and a bluetooth phone interface.  

One concern would be playing MP3s off the computer's hard drive, since there's no buffer or shock protection on a mac mini, as far as I know.  But there's nothing stopping you using iTunes to play off an iPod....

The beauty of this solution is that if you felt that Windows had better software, the mac mini is a dual boot machine: you could either boot into windows or run windows apps in a virtual machine.

Hi m8, yeah been down the minimac route, the carnetix p1900 was what I used also but you may need to update its firmware and add a resistor to get it to autoboot (let me know if u need help) the main problem with the mac is theres no decent gps software so I ran bootcamp and stuck xp on it. I also wrote my own gps software based on destinators sdk, (  w www.freedrive.co.uk w  ) I have also coded up a pp called freefone which makes the pc talk to your mobile via bluetooth or lead. I have also coded up some flash skins for a frontend called roadrunner (free) these are flash based so you can add bells and whistles on them so to speak. I would recommend a site called  w www.linitx.com w  (uk based) and a guy called chris, hes a top bloke and will always try and help you out. I am also a mod on a couple of car pc sites..  w www.digital-car.co.uk w  and  w www.mp3car.com w  both very good sites  :-) :-) :-)  Let me know if u need any help on anything.

As for plans, I am for a dual screen set up. one in the pod and another down where the stereo is. I have already coded up a application that lets you swap stuff from screen to screen (works well) I also intend adding a audio stick from a mondeo to the mr2 steering colume. The buttons on this are then soldered to a old usb joypad and then I use a program I worte to control things like volume / track number etc. The other thing I'm going to do is get rid of the 2 crappie clock andput a 2x16 lcd panel in there to display trackname etc time / date, specturm analiser etc..

lots planned but this will be at the end of the project  s;-) ;-) s;-)

hope this helps

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

markiii

now thats going to be cool  :-) :-) :-)

rtbiscuit

to check out the body stiffining, i used the wrong words earlier,

its bracing i was meant to say and to get the full comprehensive guide check out the corkies bracing stuff in the Group buy section.

as for the carputer, its one of my long term goals so i may well be coming to see you at some point. was thinking of using the lilliput system.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

kanujunkie

OMG!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

was that french or something you were speaking there Steve?

sounds bloody impressive though, cant wait to see how it looks, perhaps you could teach a few of us on how to do these in car gizmo's
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

cdrskull

Well.. first off.. sorry no pictures, just forgot to charge my batterys up in the camera and I had a race with Mr Curry man.. I had 45 mins before he delivered my tea. So I did the other side by replacing the spring (70mm drop) then rebuilt it, fitted my spacer and put my 360 rear wheel on.

Tomorrow I need to get some bolts for the next step, which is fitting the front. It will only take an hour and the front will be dry fitted (not bonded) just to check how it fits and then its on with the doors  :-) :-) :-)  thats when the fun starts  :-) :-) :-)

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

Tags: