DNA 3Sixty (Ferrari 360 look-a-like)

Started by cdrskull, August 10, 2007, 20:06

heathstimpson

Very impressive job so far  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

tonigmr2

You can't argue the work ethic, LOL you've done more on that car in the last week than I have my MK1 in a year...  s:) :) s:)  

Amazing effort!  Is the kit very heavy?
T
Yellow 55 with hardtop and aircon!

Stifler

Hey mate, congratulations on having the will and effort to take this project on, it wont be to everyones taste but as long as you are happy with it thats all that matter i say!  s:P :P s:P

Cant believe how much you have done so far, please do keep the thread updated  s:) :) s:)

One thing i find with owning the VX is that people will stop, wave, smile, thumbs up, come over and speak to you in a petrol station and im sure you will get the same, i suppose what i'm saying is that for ever doubter and person who hates it there will be similar numbers who are in awe and just want to speak to you and look at the car - as long as you don't tell em its real  s;) ;) s;)

Good luck  s:) :) s:)

Stif.

cdrskull

Quote from: "tonigmr2"Is the kit very heavy?
T

Hi m8, not at all really. I can lift all the bits myself, so I guess none are over 35kg.. so all together I am guessing at 120kg, but I must of taken off 40kg of stuff, so its not going to add to much weight I hope.

The rear you can see fitted in the pictures I managed to just lift and place it on myself with a bit of filddling (ment to be a two man job really) The front end and the front bumper I can lift over my head no prob and I aint no Mr Universe.. far from it ! It will add weight to the car, theres no question of that, but I dont think its going to be that much.

Going out this afternoon to get some bolts and drill bits for the next step.. Fitting the front  :-) :-) :-)  I also need a old mondeo Mk2 petrol flap and housing, so a visit to a scrap yard is needed.

cheers

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion
www.dnaoc.co.uk - Owners Club
www.bluepc.co.uk - Bolton PC Repairs (my new venture)

Anonymous

Great project - not my cup of tea (never liked tea any way), but I have an awful lot of admiration for what you are doing.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the progress and results.

Anonymous

Forget all the people with the "its not my cup of tea" basically they are saying they wouldnt want a 360 !!

We all know its heart will still be an MR2, but I buy my cars for looks and not performance, I am totally behind you mate

When its finished, I for one would love to come and have a look and shake your hand for a job well done

You are the first person I have seen on here to attempt such a mammoth project, and more importantly, you have taken the time and effort to keep us all updated daily

I am totally jealous, forgetting the financial side of it, I've got total admiration for your drive and enthusiasm to try and complete such a complex project

I hope everything goes to plan

What colour is it going to be ???

aaronjb

Quote from: "blackpool1974"Forget all the people with the "its not my cup of tea" basically they are saying they wouldnt want a 360 !!

Er, No. Please try again.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

No we are saying we wouldn't want a fake one

Might want to read that again
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

For a lot of people only the real thing is good enough  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

cdrskull

getting a little closer..  :-) :-) :-)  and ignoring some of the above comments...

spent afew hours tonight mounting the front body bracket with m10x80 bolts and then lifted the front on and pinned it into place. Its not bonded yet just tac'd on just so I can make sure everything looks right and the doors fit as they should, then I will bond the back inplace and then start on the doors  :-) :-) :-)  (think thats the right way will confirm with DNA tomorrow) The bonnet is just rested on by the way.. not even looked at that yet.

Anyway heres some pic's I lifted the door on just to see how well it fitted.. very impressed cant be far off it seems  :-) :-) :-)

Just want to confirm a couple of things tomorrow with DNA before I progress any further.. dont want to do things the wrong way round ...

more to come as always

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

Anonymous

Looking good Steve, keep it going  :-) :-) :-)

northernalex

I think its looking good, each to their own, some dont like it.. I know its a copy but its still a lot of work going into that... so i think its gonna look brilliant..  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

heathstimpson

You're doing a good job especially as it's on your drive  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Don't worry what some say as we all have different tastes. I look forward to seeing the finished article  s8) 8) s8)

Stifler

Looking good mate, keep up the hard work i want to see the finished article as soon as!   s8) 8) s8)

uktotty

I am amazed at the speed at which this project is happening!
What colour are we going for or is it early days?

loadswine

Very interesting job there. I have to say that you don't mess about with the work, straight in there. Keep the pics coming, its good to see what others are up to.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

cdrskull

Quote from: "uktotty"I am amazed at the speed at which this project is happening!
What colour are we going for or is it early days?

Hi m8, going for Rosso Red with inside being recovered in black leather with red stitching I think  :-) :-) :-)
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

Anonymous

So when you taking the bookings Steve to do other peoples ^^   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

This is progressing at breathtaking pace!

As with many this is not too my taste - would rather have a boggo looking car that went like stink so I could surprise people. Nevertheless I have to admire your dedication - given the effort you seem to be making I'm hoping it will look top notch.

Are you a NorthWest lad? If so seeing it in the flesh becomes an exciting possibility.

Are you really going to the trouble of sourcing Ferrari glass etc?!

cdrskull

Quote from: "simonp"This is progressing at breathtaking pace!

As with many this is not too my taste - would rather have a boggo looking car that went like stink so I could surprise people. Nevertheless I have to admire your dedication - given the effort you seem to be making I'm hoping it will look top notch.

Are you a NorthWest lad? If so seeing it in the flesh becomes an exciting possibility.

Are you really going to the trouble of sourcing Ferrari glass etc?!

Hi m8... not far from you at all, I'm in Westhoughton (jun 5 M61) The rear glass is made from acrylic from the same company that does the vac formed lenses which you purchase through DNA (kit makers) The surround of the glass at the rear (the grill) is however ferrari and cost a small £150.. lol

As its raining tonight I wont be doing much except tweaking the frontend and testing the doors and getting it all aligned. I might even bond the back on depending how I go. Off to halfords now to buy some P40

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

T17LUN

Once again, you are working at amazing speed, really making good progress. Have to see it in the flesh one day.

Tee

cdrskull

Well another 2 hours spent. Tonight I took my time and aligned up the front height and position. I have also pinned the front to stop it now floating as I'm more than happy with the position  :-) :-) :-)  I placed the bonnet on and used this as a guide as well as a trusty tape measure and the old EYE just make sure everything lines up right. I took a picture of the bonnet(hood) in place, this is just placed.. and you can see how well it sits.. couldnt be more happy with it.  :-) :-) :-)   I then had a good look at the doors and needed to grind a little more metal off one bit to get it to sit right. Because this car has been involved in a accident I think its causing the passanger side (left side in the UK) door to need trimming by a couple of mm at the front join.. yep only 2mm I think and it will be fine. So this is no biggie at all and will only take 5 mins with my sander. So the next bit is to bond the back on and then start handing the outerdoors on and start on the hinges.  :-) :-) :-)

Heres some pics...

Picture of bonnet, its not secured but fits just right  :-) :-) :-)

Top of the door at the front just needs a couple of mm sanding off , drivers side is spot on

Just checking the lines out

Picture showing how good the fit is..  :-) :-) :-)  very happy

Right.. thats it. More to come

Steve
DNA 3Sixty Conversion

DannyN

Looks awesome pal

nuff said
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

heathstimpson

Those panel gaps would but our German car manufacturers to shame  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s8) 8) s8)

spit

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  A lot of work has gone into the manufacture of that kit.

Whats your timeline for getting this completed Steve? You seem to be sailing through the big stuff at a heck of a pace.  s8) 8) s8)
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: