S2000 VS MR2 - One Month On

Started by Anonymous, August 14, 2007, 12:36

Anonymous

It is just over a month since I crossed the floor to become a Honda driver. Trading in my immaculate '03 '2:

For this little Beastie:

I'm not the first on this forum to make the move to the S2000 and it's not hard to see why. For the sake of anyone now or in the future contemplating a switch I thought I'd just give my opinion of how well the new S2K shapes up to the legacy of my MR2

BEHIND THE WHEEL
The interior was always a major weak point of the MR2 IMO, it just doesn't compare in quality to the stunning exterior. Too much cheap,dimpled plastic and too many rattles.

There is much more of a sense of occasion in the S2000. The LED dash is a matter of taste but it fulfills all my knight rider fantasies of yonder.
All the controls are close at hand,wrapping round the driver. In fact this is one of my GF's pet hates - she can't adjust anything from the passenger seat! The big red engine start button is a bit of a gimmick really but nevertheless adds to the race car feel. The buttons and materials feel solid and there is a lot more padding and leather in here which makes things feel very much more substanstial.The seats aren't quite as low as I'd like and the leather tends to wear very easily. They are however quite supportive.
A number of people bemoan the lack of space in the interior. I can't see where this comes from! - If anything there is a little more room than in the MR2. A good extra half to an inch of headroom and legspace. I'm a very slim chap mind you and the seats may be a little too narrow for an ample frame.
The steering wheel isn't adjustable but is pretty much where I'd like it anyhow.

Comfort And Equipment.
As mentioned above the seats, although a little narrow are very comfortable on a long haul. Although I would have to give the MR2 seats the edge in this field. Aircon as standard, heated rear screen, a fantastic heater, electric windows (auto up and down) and mirrors so not a lot extra over a well spec'd '2.
The big bonus is the electric roof, although you have to be stationary to use it. Once you release the slightly fiddly catches it is down in under 6 seconds (fastest in it's class I believe). This is a real boon when driving in changable weather - I find I have the roof down a lot more now. I could raise and lower the MR2 roof from inside but it was sometimes hard work, especially in the cold when it would refuse to click down.
The roof doesn't fold flat however and looks untidy when compared to the MR2.
Road noise is less at speed than the MR2 thanks to extra deadening but with the roof down there is slightly more buffeting at speed, tupee wearers be warned.
Stereo is fairly standard fare but certainly an improvement on the Mr T affair, especially when the top is down. No silly aerial mast now!New S2K's also feature headrest speakers.

Safety:
ABS, twin airbags and pretensioners as standard same as the '2. EuroNCAP ****.
HID lights (autolevel+wash) - A massive improvement on the MR2 projectors, look much better as well.
Horn sounds alot less gay!
Newest models benefit from a full ESP package which softens the bite of the handling at limit a little.

Practicality:
It has a boot!

Major plus points over the '2 here I'm afraid. A good sized boot that will fit half a dozen carrier bags, a suitcase or a few holdalls (and a set of golf clubs). No more squeezing shopping into the rear bins at Tesco's! Hurrah!!
Not much storage space inside though - two cubby holes/glvoe boxes between the seats and that's it.

Performance;
As Clarkson says "Some people buy Honda's because of their reliability or value. You buy an S2000 for the engine. We all know the headline figures 237bhp at 8.5krpm, redline to 9krpm. 0-60 (anything from 5.6 to 6.2seconds depending where you read) top speed 150mph. In a straight line a standard two isn't going to stand a chance. Torque is a lowly 150lb so you need to work the engine hard. VTEC kicks in just under 6krpm and this is where the fun starts. Up to 6k it pulls only marginally better on the buttometer than my old '2 but wheras the '2 is running out of steam at 6k, VTEC kicks the S2k into the stratosphere from then onwards. The VTEC engagement is noticable. Things are quite sedate on the standard cams, get on the VTEC and the engine note becomes harsher,deeper and much louder as the revs mount up to the magic 9k, hurtling you forwards. It is highly, highly addictive and you can quickly find yourself doing silly speeds without fully realising it.
Keeping the revs in the magic VTEC zone is helped by one of the best gearboxes I have ever had the pleasure to use. A short,sharp, slick change is affected from the brilliantly placed shifter. The gearing is short and cruising at 80 on the motorway sees you doing 4.5krpm. You could almost do with a seventh gear.

Handling:
To me this is the most difficult aspect to describe as it relies so much on driver feel and preference. The S2k is a heavier car and you can feel this in the corners. It is less willing to dig it's nose in and follow you round, the rear end often seemingly at the limits of adhesion. Steering feedback is less satisfying than the MR2 but still very good.
She is much easier to provoke and a lot less forgiving than the MR2 especially in the wet when any amount of mid corner acceleration unless carefully applied will see you into oversteer. So far my moments have been easy to catch and hold in a gentle drift but at higher speeds or when really pushing it I fear the Honda has a tendancy to bite back - Hard!
All this said if you take the time to learn the limits and explore them the S2K's power can be nurtured into phenomenol cross country pace.
Overall at the moment I find it a little less involving than the old '2 but things improve every day.

Cost:
Mmmmm - well insurance group 20 doesn't help. My premium went from £880 to £1080. Not too bad but I've had a quote of £1050 for a 911 carrera so it's something to consider. MPG - I've seen 28-30mpg on the motorway and as low as 12-15mpg on a serious blat. The ECU is tuned for 98ron. You can stick 95ron in but you're missing out as the ECU detunes to compensate (?retards ignition). Tax band is higher at around £220 a year. Servicing interval is every 9000miles with service rates which compare favourably with Toyota. Slightly cheaper at my local.
In short not as viable an option as a daily driver as the '2.

Reliablity:
Well nothing wrong so far. There's a lot of hype surrounding S2000 rock solid reliability. I'm sure a great deal is down to excellent build quality but there is an element of enthusiastic (and orchestrated) voting by the owners clubs. Common problems include wear to seat leather, clutch whine and excessive oil consumption. For such a highly tuned engine though the reliabilty would seem to be top notch.

Exterior:
Well the yellows a love hate thing really but it certainly turns heads. I prefer the front end over the mr2. Much more aggresive, almost like a coiled viper. Back end is a little humdrum, though improved with LED clusters from '04+.
It may be the yellow colour but I get a lot more attention from the "rude boy" contingent. The car obviously has a bit more of a performance reputation than the '2, which is off most rudeboy radars. As a result I am constantly being revved at lights and overtaken on the motorway by modified corsas and saxos going full kilt.  This may be a drawback for some but personally I find it quite amusing. Depending on my feeling I either let it wash over me or unleash a can of whuppas.

In a Nutshell:
Am I glad I traded in the '2. Well yes - the S2k is a very different beast. The vast improvement in power has been rewarding and although not as intuitive as the '2 I am making progress through those corners. I'm not going to say it's a better car than the '2, obviously you get more but you pay more as well. They are both excellent cars. If you ever get the chance to own an S2000 even for a short while seize the opportunity - it really is a legend.

Simon

Nice write up, I was offered first refusal on a3 year old black S2K yesterday and although sorely tempted I don't think my finances will quite stretch to it!

maybe next year

Photos of Cardiff bay and Techniquest by any chance?

Anonymous

Thanks very much for this I'm looking to change my car and was considering an MR2 or S2000, as I'm looking at the cheap end of the market, will probably be going for a MR2, just wish it had the S2000 boot!

dreambackup

question: will you trade back for a 2ZZ MR-S with a nice all leather interior?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Anonymous

Yep, my parting shots from Cardiff bay before I moved to the North.

A 2ZZ powered MR2? - I've never experienced it but would think it could more or less keep pace with the s2k. Would be an interesting drive one day, for now I'm happy with the s2k.
A 2zz MR2 still has some of the inherant drawbacks of the MR2 though.

I spent 18months getting the best out of my '2 and fully enjoying it. Time to spend time with something different for now.

Never say never though!

rtbiscuit

good choice of car,

never had the chance to go out in one, but must admit with the new mx5 about they do look a bit similar at a glance, i have to keep double taking every so often to check which one is which.

i dreed the day i have to change cos i'm not sure what i would replace it with.  s:? :? s:?
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "beavis"Thanks very much for this I'm looking to change my car and was considering an MR2 or S2000, as I'm looking at the cheap end of the market, will probably be going for a MR2, just wish it had the S2000 boot!

Yeah, residuals even on high mileage 99-00 cars are still pretty good with straight examples going for around £10,000. You then have to factor in the additional running costs.
This is one of the reasons I went down the S2K route rather than turboing the '2. Atleast with good residuals I wont be losing too much money 2 or 3 years from now.

heathstimpson

Great write up Simon; looks like you're having fun in your new beast  s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

aaronjb

Traitor!

Heathen!

Stone that man!

s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Enjoy the S2000..  we'll still be here when you get bored and come to your senses  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"Traitor!

Heathen!

Stone that man!

s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Enjoy the S2000..  we'll still be here when you get bored and come to your senses  s;) ;) s;)
Yes they're good cars but not as good  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

red_leicester

Excellent review Simon, hope you continue to enjoy your new beastie for many a day   s:) :) s:)
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

freak_in_cage

interesting post  s:D :D s:D  gotta say i would love the s2000

whats your opinion on ultimate cornering speed- 2 vs s2k???

would it be enough for the 2 to keep up with s2k in a very twisty b road?

there was actually a vid on here a while back- turbo vs N/As by a jap car show

nissan 200 & 300 sx vs s2000 and 2zz mr2

the mr2 absolute hammered everything- believe the track was pretty twisty thou and of course driver skill may not have been consistent

Anonymous

I like the silver one in the 1st pic   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Stifler

QuoteI like the silver one in the 1st pic Wink

I like the colour of the car in the 2nd pic  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Quote from: "freak_in_cage"interesting post  s:D :D s:D  gotta say i would love the s2000

whats your opinion on ultimate cornering speed- 2 vs s2k???

would it be enough for the 2 to keep up with s2k in a very twisty b road?

On a very twisty road with no real straights I could probably make faster progress in the '2. Mind you that is with 18months of driving it under my belt as opposed to one in the S2k.

The Mr2 would be more forgiving of driver error I feel but in the hands of an experienced driver who could handle it I think the S00k's raw power and driftability  would see it beat a standard two reasonably easily.

Anonymous

With my 2ZZ I have driven on quite a few track days now with various S2000's out there.  Always hard to draw any conclusions because of the differences in tyres and drivers.  One thing I did notice is that a modified S2000 didnt pull away much down the straights at Donington (international circuit) as I expected, and you could claw that back under braking.

Either way I would sooner drive a 2ZZ MR2 though as I really dig the mid-engined handling properties. And for a 1.8 the 2ZZ fares very well indeed against the S2000's larger more advanced engine.

The S2000 would also be more expensive in terms of trackday running costs.  Some of the quicker ones have had huge tyres on, but theres no point fitting those unless you have modified the suspension too and so on. Yes I realise this is the same as for the MR2, but its just all on a bigger (and thus more expensive) scale with the S2000.

S2000 engine in an Elise is sublime however.

freak_in_cage

Quote from: "simonp"On a very twisty road with no real straights I could probably make faster progress in the '2. Mind you that is with 18months of driving it under my belt as opposed to one in the S2k.

The Mr2 would be more forgiving of driver error I feel but in the hands of an experienced driver who could handle it I think the S00k's raw power and driftability  would see it beat a standard two reasonably easily.

interesting m8   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "fanjules"With my 2ZZ I have driven on quite a few track days now with various S2000's out there.  Always hard to draw any conclusions because of the differences in tyres and drivers.  One thing I did notice is that a modified S2000 didnt pull away much down the straights at Donington (international circuit) as I expected, and you could claw that back under braking.

Either way I would sooner drive a 2ZZ MR2 though as I really dig the mid-engined handling properties. And for a 1.8 the 2ZZ fares very well indeed against the S2000's larger more advanced engine.

The S2000 would also be more expensive in terms of trackday running costs.  Some of the quicker ones have had huge tyres on, but theres no point fitting those unless you have modified the suspension too and so on. Yes I realise this is the same as for the MR2, but its just all on a bigger (and thus more expensive) scale with the S2000.

S2000 engine in an Elise is sublime however.

As I said I didn't want to throw more money at a depreciating asset to get the performance I wanted from the MR2. Buying the S2K was the most sensible and cost effective move for me.

markiii

Quote from: "fanjules"S2000 engine in an Elise is sublime however.

if your talking about teh Linda? thats a Civic TypeR engine not an S2000
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

To be more specific, that's a k20a Type R motor.

Anonymous

Ive been making that mistake for years time and time again! *blush*

s2k_adz

Hey guys!

Just been reading this thread with great interest! I've personally owned 2 S2000s and loved both of them to death! I recently bought an MR2 and I have to say Im equally as impressed.

The cars are just as has been described here. The MR2 is very easy to handle and very forgiving near the limit. I did a trackday in it last weekend and really enjoyed balancing it constantly on the edge!

The S2000 however I never got to take on track, but on the road it did have the tendency to absolutely scare the living shizm out of me on the edge! It really does love to oversteer and often, pretty swiftly. You really have to be on your guard to catch it! I think that with a very skilled driver the S2000 will absolutely leave the 2 for dead on any road, but with your average Joe I dont think that there is much in it at all to be honest!

I really do love my MR2 and Im planning to keep it for at least another 6 months. But after that, I have to say I think Ill be looking to S2000 it again....

spit

Welcome to the ROC   s8) 8) s8)  and   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  for not starting a new thread   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Its handy to get a back-to-back perspective. A number of ex '2 owners head for the stook. I'd love one, but even as an old git the Insurance in my postcode would be crippling.  s:( :( s:(
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Two's Company

Sod a stook, our noddy cars have been rated 43rd best drivers car ever by Evo this month.  Higher than McClaren F1 and 911 Turbo...

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Twos Company"Sod a stook, our noddy cars have been rated 43rd best drivers car ever by Evo this month.  Higher than McClaren F1 and 911 Turbo...

Eh where's that then?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: