Induction Kit - What else do I need?

Started by uktotty, August 15, 2007, 23:10

uktotty

Is this the whole thing or am I missing pipes and stuff?

Chris_h

Russ.

I haven't seen one like that before, what make is it?

If its a cheapo, there is a similar thread running about the perils of putting these things on the car. Apologies if its not a cheapo!

Many folk (me included) will sing the praises of the Apexi, quality piece of kit and makes a fab noise   s:D :D s:D
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

You're missing the pipe from the throttle body to the filter, which should also contain the flange to mount the MAF onto. In short, that's half a kit.

uktotty

Chris, this is the HKS mate, over £350 rrp.
Just wondered if I needed to buy additonal stuff.

uktotty

Cheers Dan, so not the bargain it seems then?

Anonymous

Absolutely not, the main pipe will be the key to it working either brilliantly (like the A'Pexi) or like a dud (no-name eBay special). At the moment it's nothing more than a mushroom filter and a heat shield, worth about £15 in all.

Dare I ask how much?

Chris_h

Quote from: "uktotty"Chris, this is the HKS mate, over £350 rrp.
Just wondered if I needed to buy additonal stuff.

I hang my head in shame!!!

Good luck with it matey - you'll have the noise to match the bling  s:D :D s:D

I have a complete Apexi in my loft....
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

uktotty

Quote from: "Ekona"Absolutely not, the main pipe will be the key to it working either brilliantly (like the A'Pexi) or like a dud (no-name eBay special). At the moment it's nothing more than a mushroom filter and a heat shield, worth about £15 in all.

Dare I ask how much?

A bit more than that! maybe £100

rtbiscuit

i've read reviews on the HKS system, the filter is the same as on the Blitz kit, and its not as good a filter as the Apexi. it lets large cunks in to your engine.

its why i never bought one. and the same reason i don't buy filters made from metal mesh.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Chris_h

How much is a total new Apexi kit? are they still available?

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"
Quote from: "Ekona"Absolutely not, the main pipe will be the key to it working either brilliantly (like the A'Pexi) or like a dud (no-name eBay special). At the moment it's nothing more than a mushroom filter and a heat shield, worth about £15 in all.

Dare I ask how much?

A bit more than that! maybe £100

Ouch  s:( :( s:(

EBay sale? Or did you order it from JPS (if that's the name on the card)?

uktotty

ebay mate. was looking at one the other day UK sale £350, this is in USA but I havent bid, hence asking the experts first. might have to tap Chris up for his apexi  s;) ;) s;)

Chris_h

Quote from: "uktotty"ebay mate. was looking at one the other day UK sale £350, this is in USA but I havent bid, hence asking the experts first. might have to tap Chris up for his apexi  s;) ;) s;)

Thats a relief.

Just send one of the girls round, see if I can be parted   s:D :D s:D

rtbiscuit

if your serious about an induction system this would be my short list in order of most desiable first.

1. PPE (uses apexi filter, heat shielded and know to give a good BHP gain)
2. Apexi (good filter good noise, no improvement in BHP)
3. AEM (i think evileye has one, puts the cone deep in the wheel arch)
4. TRD filter, standard airbox, with mark iii pipe (known BHP gain, not alot of noise)

no point in going for the pipercross viper kit, to much money for a kit designed for front engined cars, (you need lots of air to ram down it.)

same goes for most of the other really expensive kits.

if you want to be different look at the Green cotton dynatwist, and put it behind your battery (like the PPE) no ones tried it, (maybe one person) but its a big filter, enclosed and can be hose fed from the air vent.

but then you might as well go for the PPE its about the same price and is designed for the car.

and i wouldn't touch anything with an oiled filter, (personal preference) but they can interfere with the MAF.

but if you did a search on here alot of this information is already explained, but it does require looking at individual filter names.

my advice is to go with what is already known to work. and if i ever epgrade my filter system the first thing i'll buy is the PPE kit (i already have the right filter  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

hope this long winded post is of some help.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

uktotty

Very informative Rich, just wanted to be a bit diff than all the Apexi dudes.
Might have a look for that PPE one  s:) :) s:)  
Cheers

uktotty

The bloke selling it said it was the complete kit.

yes, remove std air box and then connect with std piping

markiii

it has a maf mount but foes it have vanes in their? plus filter is shit
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Gbirch

Where can the apexi or PPE kits be purchased please?
Seek first to understand then be understood!

Anonymous

PPE can be got direct at clicky
MRS Passion used to do it but I think they may have folded?

carl_evs

Definately not the full kit.... I have the full kit fitted. Also that filter doesnt look the same as the one that is fitted to mine?!?

Will se eif i can take some pics tonight!!
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

Tags: