Sorted MR2 v VX220 Turbo

Started by hywel, August 20, 2007, 13:30

uktotty

Good luck with your new purchase and stick around.
Oooh and post some piccies when you get them.

hywel

Quote from: "uktotty"Good luck with your new purchase and stick around.
Oooh and post some piccies when you get them.

What a great forum this is! So honest and friendly. Thanks for everyone's comments and, like Ekona, I'll definately stick around.

I'm afraid I'll almost certainly go for the VXT, John, I really don't like the 111R engine and I find the Rover unit a little agricultural; a shame because I've lusted after an Elise for years. (If only the Elise had that lovely turbo unit..)

So VXT or Elise - but that's another discussion..!

Anonymous

So basically you've struggled and come to the exact same conclusion as I did (do I/don't I, and turbo engine/high-revving engine): Can't fault you there.  s;) ;) s;)  As John says, there will be times when you absolutely hate the car for being so basic (I hated mine for the first two months of ownership!), but once you click with it you realise why you have to own one at some stage in your life.

Check out the sales forums over at vx220.org as they've usually got some very decent cars there: As a minimum I'd be looking at one with a Stage II tune (exhaust and re-map) as that really won't add much cost to the car, but will make a night-and-day difference to the way it drives. Oh, and budget to get some Pagid RS14 brake pads on there too (£300) as the stock ones are crap, and I never found the Mintex 1144s to be any better.

Good luck with your purchase, if you want any questions answered feel free to PM me.

hywel

Quote from: "Ekona"So basically you've struggled and come to the exact same conclusion as I did (do I/don't I, and turbo engine/high-revving engine): Can't fault you there.  s;) ;) s;)  As John says, there will be times when you absolutely hate the car for being so basic (I hated mine for the first two months of ownership!), but once you click with it you realise why you have to own one at some stage in your life.

Check out the sales forums over at vx220.org as they've usually got some very decent cars there: As a minimum I'd be looking at one with a Stage II tune (exhaust and re-map) as that really won't add much cost to the car, but will make a night-and-day difference to the way it drives. Oh, and budget to get some Pagid RS14 brake pads on there too (£300) as the stock ones are crap, and I never found the Mintex 1144s to be any better.

Good luck with your purchase, if you want any questions answered feel free to PM me.

Yes, I thought the 111R engine was way too revvy! I just love the Vauxhall unit.

I met a few of the guys from VX220.org at a pub meet recently (inc a VXR owner who'd spent £30k on mods IMS..) and they were a friendly bunch. I have a hankering after a yellow one - I'm just sick of all those muted colours - so hopefully we can meet at one of their events at some stage - you should be able to spot me!

northernalex

Id love to know how the NA compares to a 2... dont we have an member on here that changed recently?
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Quote from: "hywel"Yes, I thought the 111R engine was way too revvy! I just love the Vauxhall unit.

Each to their own but I love my 111R engine, and in fact wouldnt mind another 1700rpm on top of the 8300... the only kick in the privates being the ommission of an LSD making it a bit naff when plonked straight into the Roadster without realising it.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

So can you fit a diff in? or not?

hywel

Quote from: "northernalex"Id love to know how the NA compares to a 2... dont we have an member on here that changed recently?

I was given a ride in an NA as a passenger at the meet with VX guys and I have to say it was pretty impressive. Very go-kart like, spartan and functional. Reminded me of a standard S2 Elise. Very capable of understeer - we slid rather wide round a tight roundabout - but a very nice car.

I understand the turbo is a little softer, but, of course, a bit heavier too.

Anonymous

QuoteSo can you fit a diff in? or not?

Yep I put the one in out my old 1ZZ. There is an aftermarket one available for the Elise chaps... though maybe its just the Toyota one marketed differently.

Still dont know why Lotus put an open diff in, there presumably isnt much in it financially since majority of the mass produced installs for the 1ZZ and 2ZZ have diffs...? Only reason I can think of is that it makes the handling slightly more idiot proof.

Am presuming the VX has an LSD?  I guess it understeers more than the Elise because of even more 'ickle front tyres in basic factory form.

Anonymous

No LSD in the VX. No need for it in a such a light chuckable car IMHO.

markiii

Dan, why do you feel that the weight is relevant to the need or not for an LSD?

if anything wouldnt lighter weight make the wheel spin even easier?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

have to say after driving for several weeks now without an LSD i've got used to not haveing it and have adapted fine, was decidedly wierd at first though
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Dan, why do you feel that the weight is relevant to the need or not for an LSD?

if anything wouldnt lighter weight make the wheel spin even easier?

In theory I guess it should, but in practice you're moving so quickly and nimbly (for want of a better word) that the weight transfer makes the effect almost negligible: Certainly the only time I've ever noticed the real lack of LSD is at low speeds when booting it from a stationary start pulling out of a junction: Any other time the speed either removes the need for LSD, or the low CoG does that for you by keeping you planted.

I know that none of that really makes much sense, but it's more about the feel than the technical side of it for me. Sorry not to be much help  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Its easier to explain it from the MR2 perspective... because it rolls so much the wheel which is doing its best to flap about mid-air spins all the power away.

By contrast with the VX or Elise it corners that much more flatter, so the effect of having no LSD is greatly reduced.  Hence, it doesn't really come down to weight when comparing the two in this context (though certainly taking away more weight would actually help the situation rather than worsen it, since there would be less body roll again).

Weight aside, I would imagine an MR2 on super-stiff suspension wouldn't really demand an LSD too.  It's always nice to have an LSD though - the Honda engined Elise has one for instance and that's quite a bit lighter than a VX... but running on super stiff Nitron suspension.

heathstimpson

I have been in exactly the same boat and decided to turbo the 2. I looked at VX's, Elises's, 350Z's, various Porsches's etc but in the end of the day I have loved my 2 and though the decent running costs, reliability and everyday practicality won the decision for me. I love the VX and that was the top choice but access, a crap heater, higher running costs, and wind up windows were the things that made me stick with the 2 I love and stick a turbo on. I do like luxurious cars and the 2 isn't bad for a roadster. I also run it along with a Jag so runnibg costs come into it for me. I will still probably own a VX one day though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

hywel

Quote from: "fanjules"
Quote from: "hywel"Yes, I thought the 111R engine was way too revvy! I just love the Vauxhall unit.

Each to their own but I love my 111R engine

Totally agree; it's a very personal thing. I use to race Yamaha TZ250s where power came in at 10k and disappeared at 12k, outside that range it was like riding a scooter. It was great to race, but over time, and in the real world, I've become less enamoured of revvy engines.

My decision was made after driving the 111R and Europa over two consecutive weekends. The acceleration was similar but the fun factor sort of .. widens. The 111R was wonderful, but in the Europa I found I became less obsessed with what gear I was in and more in the rest of the experience. Perhaps it's an age thing..

Anonymous

I think whatever you choose to do, with the choices you have made for yourself, you aren't going to be making many mistakes either way. The only one you might make is the regret of not being able to own the Elise/VX when you could. Other than that, ALL of the suggestions made here will be more than good enough.

The 111R compared to an N/A VX is chalk and cheese too. I have been in the fortunate position to drive pretty much every Elise derivative (except the Exige, but I am working on that) and the one I enjoyed the most was the 111R. I really liked the revvy nature of the engine and for such a light car, the lack of torque really didn't show itself up that much. But each to their own of course. I have just sold an S1 Elise with entry level 120bhp engine and it was MORE than enough to see 95% of the machinery at the traffic lights and probably 99% of them at the bends (not condoning racing or anything, just using this as a metaphor....). I would have loved a 111R, but couldn't afford that, so went the other way. Either way, the grin factor is immense.

As for the VX's, well the NA is tighter, but more "slippy" (best way to describe it really). Its got high predictable limits, but they aren't the limits you would like. It understeers a lot (but then so do most S2 Elises with Rover engines) and is a little less hard riding than an Elise. The Turbo on the other hand..............jeezuz! That thing is quick! Would outdrag the 111R easily and it just seems that little more "planted".......

You aren't going to go wrong, whatever you do. I would, if I could, go the 111R route, but a VX is a more than capable substitute, especially in Turbo form. They really are very, very quick and I would consider one later down the line sometime..........

Stifler

I recently made the jump. I bought my VX at the start of July, and for the first week i deeply regretted letting the 2 go..........

But then, it was about 10 pm, the sun was sinking low, the roof was off, i was on a country road with no traffic and it was simply the best single driving experience of my life!

I had driven the 2 down the same road many times, but tbh as much as i loved my 2 it NEVER felt anything like the VX.

I can only echo others sentiments, i wanted a VX / Elise since about 2001 and  decided if i didn't get one now (i.e. when the circumstances were right) i'd always live to regret it, worst case scenario, i'd sell up and buy a 2 again  s:) :) s:)

TBH i cant see me letting the VX go for a very long time it feels so unbelievable special every time i get in and the performance , although no turbo is beyond my capabilities  s:) :) s:)  and with the Piper Exhaust i have on mine i'll never get tired of listening to it burble and spit as i come off the throttle  s8) 8) s8)

In short, if you do really want one your mind is already made up and you should just do it, the boot is a big advantage, i have never suffered any form of ache after sustained drives and as for frost on the inside, i used to get that on my 2!

Heres a pic to help you decide:

HTH - stif  s:) :) s:)

hywel

OK, OK, I'll get one! Thanks all for all the great advice, confirming my own feelings - and I think your car looks great, Stifler.

Let's face it, when push comes to shove, we are all still little boys at heart..brum-brum

Anonymous

I dont think lack of torque is such a big deal with the 111R... after all my MR2 conversion doesnt complain as low as 26mph in 6th!  That's not something you could do with the old 1ZZ car in 5th, or even my turbo diesel... On the other hand, the lack of power below 6000rpm is a kick in the mitts, though in this situation its only the same as a 1ZZ anyway :- so horses and wigwams or whatever the saying is.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Stifler"

Please never post that pic again Stifler... it makes me want one very, very badly..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: